Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old films.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

gg2 wrote: »
    [... ] Whatever Happened To Baby Jane would be my favourites

My wife loves Bette Davis. This is one of her favourites too.

'Imitation of Life'

Lana Turner.

I cry at the end everytime. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

The Great Silence (Il grande silenzio, 1968), or The Big Silence, is an Italian spaghetti western.[2]
    The movie features a score by Ennio Morricone and stars Jean-Louis Trintignant as Silence, a mute gunfighter with a grudge against bounty hunters, assisting a group of outlawed Mormons and a woman trying to avenge her husband (a murdered outlaw). They are set against a group of ruthless bounty hunters, led by Loco (Klaus Kinski).
    It is one of Corbucci's better known movies. Unlike most conventional spaghetti Westerns, The Great Silence takes place in the snow-filled landscapes of Utah during the Great Blizzard of 1898.

Death Rides a Horse (aka Da uomo a uomo, or As Man to Man) is a 1967 spaghetti western directed by Giulio Petroni, written by Luciano Vincenzoni, and starring Lee Van Cleef and John Phillip Law.[1]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

marozz wrote:
    The Man with the Golden Arm /quote]
    Excellent performance by Frank Sinatra, proving he's more than a singer.

The Forbidden Planet - classic space saucer sci-fi

Defence of the Realm - great cold war thriller, starring our very own Gabriel Byrne.

Fresh - 90s forgotten gem about a boy who is both an avid chess player and a criminal mastermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Big fan of Bogey's films
    Casablanca is amazing
    The Maltese Falcon
    The Big Sleep
    We're no Angels is great.

• Advertisement

The original Cape Fear is a masterpiece.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Aside from the already mentioned, Inherit the wind. Dat Spencer Tracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I do love a good Betty Davis film.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Other than whats mentioned Shane

and well The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I always thought Gone With The Wind would be a cliche of a movie.

I was wrong, it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LEE9396

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE , TOP FILM

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Oh and Der Golum :)

Psycho is another masterpiece, great suspense.

To Kill A Mockingbird is exceptional too.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Jake1 wrote: »
    'Imitation of Life'

Lana Turner.

I cry at the end everytime. :(

Fantastic film- bawl every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭AoifeCN

Most of my favourites have been mentioned already but here's a couple more:

The lady vanishes and The man who knew too much (the original) are some great early Hitchcock films.

The hustler, I love a bit of Paul Newman.

Breakfast at Tiffany's, classic for good reason.

The towering inferno, great disaster flick but don't watch if you have regular contact with tall building's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I like you Lou I do

Old films especially old horror/thriller/sci-fi/western is the best

offhand random....

The Time Machine 1960
    House on Haunted Hill
    Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
    Silent Running
    El Topo
    Anything Hitchcock
    A boy and his dog
    The wizard of oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

e_e wrote: »
    For sheer innovation though you can't beat the 1960s for film.

Um, I think the 1970's trumps the 1960's.

For a while there, it was anything goes. Studios were willing to take a punt on things they wouldn't have touched with a barge pole in the 60's.

The likes of 70's classics 'Taxi Driver', 'Apocalypse Now', 'Star Wars', 'The Exorcist', 'Death Wish', 'Dirty Harry' or 'Zardoz' wouldn't have been even remotely considered in the previous decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Tony EH wrote: »
    Um, I think the 1970's trumps the 1960's.

For a while there, it was anything goes. Studios were willing to take a punt on things they wouldn't have touched with a barge pole in the 60's.

The likes of 70's classics 'Taxi Driver', 'Apocalypse Now', 'Star Wars', 'The Exorcist', 'Death Wish', 'Dirty Harry' or 'Zardoz' wouldn't have been even remotely considered in the previous decade.
    I'd say e_e is talking about the 60s internationally, the US lagged a bit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

The Th!ng wrote: »

The Great Silence

Death Rides a Horse

Just watched both thanks, less said about the first, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Candie wrote: »
    Clint Eastwoods 'Play Misty for Me'.

If you get a chance to see him in The Beguiled go for it. It was an interesting movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I'd say e_e is talking about the 60s internationally, the US lagged a bit there.
    Yep, the New Hollywood is just minor in terms of what was happening all around the world in the 60s. I haven't even scratched the surface either. A lot of film watchers seem to think of cinema in terms of America alone when there's often so much else going on elsewhere. I'd say even as a big movie 2001 A Space Odyssey trumps most (if not all) of what was made in the 1970s in terms of creativity, ambition and uniqueness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

this is one of the best black and white short films I have seen in a long time, probably the best thing Michael Hordern has been in... it is a 40 minute ghost story, of sorts. It's a wonderful exercise in economy, and the character drama is engaging enough to make it worth re-visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Any Marx Brothers film

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭dodzy

Dorris Day, yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The Million Pound Note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

Watched this in college, amazing film but the ending has stuck with me for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (1966) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061184/
    Witness for the Prosecution (1957) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051201/
    Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083798/
    Citizen Kane (1941) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033467/
    Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058213/
    All About Eve (1950) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042192/

are all excellent; plus many already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Some of my fav old films was Boys town Mickey Rooney was excellent the fighting Sullivans and White Heat. All the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes and of course the universal monster movies all classics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

e_e wrote: »
    Yep, the New Hollywood is just minor in terms of what was happening all around the world in the 60s. I haven't even scratched the surface either. A lot of film watchers seem to think of cinema in terms of America alone when there's often so much else going on elsewhere. I'd say even as a big movie 2001 A Space Odyssey trumps most (if not all) of what was made in the 1970s in terms of creativity, ambition and uniqueness.

Well, if we're talking Europe, then yes, the 60's was a great era. Too much "by the book" work going on during most of the 60's in American film. In general, European cinema tends to trump the majority of what comes out of US anyway.

As for '2001: A Space Odyssey', while it was certainly all of those things you say, I can't agree that it bests everything from the 70's. That's a big statement there.

A film like 'Silent Running', or even 'THX1138' would give it a good run for its money. Other offbeats like 'Phase IV' too would certainly be high on the "creativity, ambition and uniqueness" metre too.

Advertisement