Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old films.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Well I consider "old" films up to 1980.

Here are some of my favourites.

Lost Horizon (the 1930s version) and hence my username. Directed by Frank Capra who also directed Its a Wonderful Life.

The Searchers - The Greatest western Ever

The Trouble with Harry - A great and relatively unknown Hitchcock movie plus it looks great. Plus its quite funny.

The Universal Monster Movies of the 1930s especially Dr Jekyll and Mr hyde starring Fredric March.

Les Diaboliques (The Devils) - A not quite as its seems murder story. Hang in there as the story unfolds.

The Third Man - my favourite film of all time.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Orson Welles directs a drama that you just dont get anymore.

Night of the Hunter - Robert Mitchum plays the deranged preacher

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930 version) - If you dont cry there is something wrong with you.

I am a fugitive from a chain gang - Great gangster and on the run drama - you know where the coens got some of their ideas from

The Maltese Falcon - Bogart at his Film Noir best

The Life and Death of Col Blimp
    A Matter of Life and Death
    49th Parallel

The three above films directed by Powell and Pressburger - genius at work.

The Big Sleep - Detective Film Noir. Bogie again and a great story.

The Naked City. Great opening Scenes.
    All about Eve - One of the best films about acting ever.

Touch of Evil - More genius from Welles
    Le Boucher - Like Hitch but its French

And then there were none - the best Agatha Christie Movie ever.

To be or not to be (1942) wartime comedy

Planet of the Apes

And just to throw in a silent - Nosferatu. The Dracula story from Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This would probably be CGI if it was done today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Pawn

If you get a chance to see him in The Beguiled go for it. It was an interesting movie.

I have seen that movie, it was really good. I think it was on your recommendation too, if I recall right. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I am a fugitive from a chain gang - Great gangster and on the run drama - you know where the coens got some of their ideas from
    A film of it's time. Based on a true story and just knocks the socks of most of the other stuff made at the time.

Other old films

Ivan the Terrible, It's a good film.

There's a time and place to do an unsympathetic film about a crazy bloodthirsty Russian tyrant facing foreign Germanic invasions.

Under the watchful eye of Stalin while millions of lives are being wasted on the Eastern Front and famines, the deportations and in the Gulags is probably not one that I'd choose.

Once you have that at the back of your mind it's a different film, you are constantly staring in disbelief at how Eisenstein survived.

On the other hand
    Münchhausen is a totally different film , light hearted, lots of special effects, colour, black actors. Good escapist stuff and the people of Berlin where the film was made had reasons to escape from daily life back in 1943.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Anything by akira Kurosawa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

This film is haunting. If you can get over the overt BA racism and violence. Probably Connery's finest role. Out of whole top bill only Connery has survived:eek: Redgrave, Bannon, Kinnear .... have all died

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

This film is haunting. If you can get over the overt BA racism and violence. Probably Connery's finest role. Out of whole top bill only Connery survives :eek: Redgrave, Bannon, Kinnear ....

:rolleyes:

would have watched it, only you spoilt it for me

fryup wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

would have watched it, only you spoilt it for me

Let me fix that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Don't think anybody's mentioned this yet.

William Friedkin's bizarrely titled 1970's remake is worth checking out too. Although poorly received at the box office in 1977, to me, it tops Clouzot's classic in some ways. The amazing bridge sequence along is worth watching.

• Advertisement

A cracker from my youth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Couple of mine:

and

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The taking of Pelham 123 is on but unfortunitly its the remake, its just pointless as the original was a great film.

The great Robert Shaw, also in The Sting and stole the show in Jaws. Died in Mayo.

From Here to Eternity is one of my favourites, one I only watched recently is Papillon, McQueen was brilliant.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Kes, 1969, Ken Loach

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

A cracker from my youth :)

I raise you - 'O lucky Man'.

I raise you - 'O lucky Man'.

OK, but better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUlUrh5zKH8

David Niven "A Matter of Life and Death", a real cosy up on a Saturday afternoon movie...very good.

And my favourite speech by an actress ever and one of the best movies of all time....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7__WVG7vM8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

Taking old as meaning, 1960s and before, some of my favs (that I think haven't been mentioned so far) would be:

Advertisement