Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing donkey work for immersion circuit

Options
  • 16-08-2014 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get an immersion circuit put in and I know that this falls under restricted works. Since much of an electrician time would be spent messing about in attic and fishing cables.

Would i be possible to do the donkey work myself?

- Fish the 2.5mm flex from the hotpress through the attic to the CU
    - Mounted the backboxes for the switch and timer.
    - Installed the immersion unit in the tank
    - Have the MCB ready to go.

Then have an electrician connect everything up and the MCB at the CU at test the circuit and certify everything. Would this be a goer or must the electrician do everything start to finish?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I guess it is possible but obviously the electrician would have to agree to this beforehand. However the routing and method of installation of the cable should be agreed with electrician first. I would imagine that many electricians would not agree to certifying work when part of it was not carried out or witnessed by them.

When you say "have the MCB ready to go" remember that only a registered electrical contractor is permitted to carry out any work on the distribution board itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

jodaw wrote: »
    I am looking to get an immersion circuit put in and I know that this falls under restricted works. Since much of an electrician time would be spent messing about in attic and fishing cables.

Would i be possible to do the donkey work myself?

- Fish the 2.5mm flex from the hotpress through the attic to the CU
    - Mounted the backboxes for the switch and timer.
    - Installed the immersion unit in the tank
    - Have the MCB ready to go.

Then have an electrician connect everything up and the MCB at the CU at test the circuit and certify everything. Would this be a goer or must the electrician do everything start to finish?
    What kind of flex are you going too use?
    Where are you going too mount the box's exactly?
    What size and type mcb ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A few other points to note:
    1) Normally a 2.5 mm sq. twin & earth cable would be used for this (from the board), not a flex.
    2) It is best to mount the immersion switch outside the hot press. This reduces the probability of the immersion being left on accidentally for long periods of time.
    3) Most of the analog timers such as the "Apt" timer are low quality. A digital timer rated for switching a 3kW load would be best.
    4) Electricians would get a better price on all materials as they know where to shop and generally buy in bulk. They also know what to buy and will replace their equipment in the event of it going faulty, they are less likely to do this is your time clock fails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

you can have the heater fitted

and maybe have the cable in
    place in consultation with REC

there's a lot of small technical details with even a simple job such as this

cable type
    switch box height
    switch box location
    cable route; not hidden behind exterior drylining on drop to fusebox etc

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

What would be a ballpark figure for the work above and would it be a plumber/electrician combo? Or would electrician normally fit the heater into tank?

• Advertisement

-2.5mm heat resistent flex
    -mount switch and timer boxes in hotpress
    -16 amp

3kw double heater

Boxs not allowed in hot press.
    20 amp mcb is normal for immersion
    What type mcb would you supply?

What would be a ballpark figure for the work above and would it be a plumber/electrician combo? Or would electrician normally fit the heater into tank?

Depends on the REC, my company does all the works and other REC's even pass those particular jobs onto us as they don't want the hassle

Advertisement