Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options
  • 16-08-2014 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pregnant-woman-refused-abortion-gives-birth-by-caesarean-30512038.html

The psyches decided there was no real threat of suicide so no abortion.
    She's offered a C Section. Not good enough. Baby must die or ill kill both of us. Goes on hunger strike (,according to radio). Eventually relents and surgeon has to lift what appears to be a perfectly healthy baby out of its safe home . I don't understand. Can someone explain how this is progress please

MOD NOTE:
    As there's been more and more developments in this story, the original post above was quoting from an article that was incorrect. The main points known so far are as follows:

• The woman in question allegedly became pregnant after she was raped.
    • She is a foreign national and could not go abroad for an abortion due to her legal status.
    • It is claimed she requested an abortion at 8 weeks, but was refused (currently for unknown reasons)
    • A panel judged her to be suicidal and by law an abortion would be allowed.
    • By this time, she was then 23 weeks pregnant and the decision was made to deliver the baby by C section.

These points are the latest I have read on the matter and may change, but several users requested the OP be amended as few will be willing to read through over 1400 posts.

Mod Note 2: Keep discussion to the actual case at hand. It's not for convincing people why your opinion on abortion is right and theirs is wrong.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Why didn't she just got to England like most others who want an abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pregnant-woman-refused-abortion-gives-birth-by-caesarean-30512038.html

The psyches decided there was no real threat of suicide so no abortion.
    She's offered a C Section. Not good enough. Baby must die or ill kill both of us. Goes on hunger strike (,according to radio). Eventually relents and surgeon has to lift what appears to be a perfectly healthy baby out of its safe home . I don't understand. Can someone explain how this is progress please

So even though she had the option of a section she still wanted the baby killed. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

If the abortion law hadn't been so restrictive it wouldn't have gone that far in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Not many people have the guts of a thousand euro available at the drop of a hat? Also, if she was truly suicidal (I don't know her, so can't comment on that), the abortion legislation should have given her the right to have one in Ireland.

Not many people have the guts of a thousand euro available at the drop of a hat? Also, if she was truly suicidal (I don't know her, so can't comment on that), the abortion legislation should have given her the right to have one in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Because we decided that if you are suicidal then you must be allowed an abortion ? Why have all the expenses and inconvenience of going to UK when you don't have to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Glad that the baby was delivered healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Perhaps we want to be treated like we actually have rights in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Oh here we go again.... The article doesn't give enough information on the woman's situation or circumstance for anyone to make a judgement on her. But no doubt, the usual lynch mob will come out in force....

But she was examined by the appropriate medics who declared her as not genuinely suicidal.

• Advertisement

PucaMama wrote: »
    So even though she had the option of a section she still wanted the baby killed. Disgusting.

A woman is suicidal and doesn't want a child. She's subsequently given the option of having the child. The child she doesn't want. How is she disgusting for not wanting the child, and turning down the offer to have the child?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Because the quaint and old-fashion nation of the sanctity of all human life and that extends to the unborn.

1000 euro? Well, she hardly wanted 2 abortions.
    You can also pay for an abortion at a private clinic. The cost (around £400 or more)
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Sexualhealth/Pages/Abortionyouroptions.aspx

But she was examined by the appropriate medics who declared her as not genuinely suicidal.

Oh yeah, I know. I was saying IF she were suicidal, the legislation should have allowed for abortion.

Glad that the baby was delivered healthy

Nowhere does it say the baby is/was healthy. Just alive.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Sexualhealth/Pages/Abortionyouroptions.aspx

So, around 600 euro for the procedure. Flights that may be at short notice. Accommodation. Food. As I said, guts of 1000 euro

Thate whst the Irish people demanded. You cant complain now when thats what you got.

Because we decided that if you are suicidal then you must be allowed an abortion ? Why have all the expenses and inconvenience of going to UK when you don't have to?

Just coz it's handy enough to get a plane to liverpool and have it done there without all the botheration of going to see psychologists, doctors etc here.

A woman is suicidal and doesn't want a child. She's subsequently given the option of having the child. The child she doesn't want. How is she disgusting for not wanting the child, and turning down the offer to have the child?

This child did not deserve to lose its life because its mother was suicidal. Were not talking a bout a mother 8 weeks pregnant here. There is no fairness in this to the child

It reads to me that she was too far along for an abortion, so a section was the only option. It said she was in the second trimester, so could have been have been as much as 26 weeks pregnant.

• Advertisement

If the abortion law hadn't been so restrictive it wouldn't have gone that far in the first place.

You don't even want to give the baby the chance in the incubator? Why?

Thate whst the Irish people demanded. You cant complain now when thats what you got.

No I didn't demand that how dare you

It reads to me that she was too far along for an abortion, so a section was the only option. It said she was in the second trimester, so could have been have been as much as 26 weeks pregnant.

No. Under the new legislation if you are proven suicidal you can have an abortion at any stage. The medics decided she wasn't suicidal.

This child did not deserve to lose its life because its mother was suicidal. Were not talking a bout a mother 8 weeks pregnant here. There is no fairness in this to the child

Except, it's a foetus. Not a child.

No I didn't demand that how dare you

Well if enough people had protested it wouldn't have happend do like it or not we are all to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Its damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If this situation had gotten worse and mother took her own life then they'd both be dead, which could have been a potential outcome here.

Would that have been a better outcome, rather than giving her an abortion and guaranteeing saving at least one of them?

Well if enough people had protested it wouldn't have happend do like it or not we are all to blame.

**** that I'm not taking blame for the immorality around abortion in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

We're talking about a second trimester abortion here. The £400 cost quoted in this thread is for a medical abortion (a few pills) in a supervised environment. Get into the realm of an anaesthetised second trimester abortion and you're talking double that or more.

Its damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If this situation had gotten worse and mother took her own life then they'd both be dead, which could have been a potential outcome here.

Would that have been a better outcome, rather than giving her an abortion and guaranteeing saving at least one of them?

But she wasn't suicidal and was given an option to end the pregnancy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

No. Under the new legislation if you are proven suicidal you can have an abortion at any stage. The medics decided she wasn't suicidal.

And yet she still tried to take her own life

Advertisement