Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

PucaMama wrote: »
    **** that I'm not taking blame for the immorality around abortion in ireland

Some find forcing a woman to give birth to be immoral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Except, it's a foetus. Not a child.

So it was a foetus as the surgeon cut into her abdomen and seconds later it's a child? No rights one minute next minute entitled to food and warmth? Are you nuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No I didn't demand that how dare you
    The Irish People of whom you're one did demand that right by referendum. Like it or not you're one of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

This child did not deserve to lose its life because its mother was suicidal. Were not talking a bout a mother 8 weeks pregnant here. There is no fairness in this to the child
    It's not a child
    mrsbyrne wrote: »
    No. Under the new legislation if you are proven suicidal you can have an abortion at any stage. The medics decided she wasn't suicidal.

And that's the problem, I don't buy all this medical review BS
    Abortions for some, tiny american flags for others.

Just get with the times and allow an adult woman to choose what to do with her own body.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

So it was a foetus as the surgeon cut into her abdomen and seconds later it's a child? No rights one minute next minute entitled to food and warmth? Are you nuts?

That's correct.
    It's a foetus until it is born at which point it becomes a child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/pregnant-woman-refused-abortion-gives-birth-by-caesarean-30512038.html

The psyches decided there was no real threat of suicide so no abortion.
    She's offered a C Section. Not good enough. Baby must die or ill kill both of us. Goes on hunger strike (,according to radio). Eventually relents and surgeon has to lift what appears to be a perfectly healthy baby out of its safe home . I don't understand. Can someone explain how this is progress please

Nowhere does it say the baby is/was healthy. Just alive.

Forgive me pointing out the obvious here, but there appears to be some confusion as to whether the baby was healthy or not.

If we're going by medical definitions, pretty much. It's a part of the woman's body, an extension of it, until such time that the cord is cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No. Under the new legislation if you are proven suicidal you can have an abortion at any stage. The medics decided she wasn't suicidal.

At any stage? So even if the baby can be born healthy at that stage?

I would call myself pro-choice, but that's a bit mad! That being said, if abortion was legal over here she would have had one much sooner.

And yet she still tried to take her own life

Are you saying the qualified people are wrong? How did she try to take her own life? Hunger strike? She soon quit?

And now we have another abortion thread...

I (pro-choice) think that all the pro-lifers on this thread are sick monsters for wanting to force the pregnancy to go to term. All the pro-lifers will think I'm a sick monster for wanting the mother to have the right to abort.

Nothing more to discuss. End of thread.

• Advertisement

If we're going by medical definitions, pretty much. It's a part of the woman's body, an extension of it, until such time that the cord is cut.

A baby has his own heart lung brains . This is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

So, around 600 euro for the procedure. Flights that may be at short notice. Accommodation. Food. As I said, guts of 1000 euro

err...yea, you do know that you stay in the place where you get the operation, it's not like getting a wort lanced. So accommodation and food are in the price of 400 pounds which is 500euro plus you can fly to liverpool, newcastle, london etc for around a tenner. You have a good few weeks to decide after finding out you're pregnant to book the flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm not for or against abortion - but doesn't it seem like we should legalize suicide first?

If an adult wants to end their life - it's against the law for anyone to assist them. In many places, attempting suicide will land them in a mental hospital (against their wishes).

It seems odd to me that we're more concerned about being able to end another life when we can't choose to end our own.

A baby has his own heart lung brains . This is crazy.

So does a foetus. While it's in the uterus, it's a foetus, medically speaking. Calling it a baby, when it's not, is emotional bollocks thrown about by militant pro-lifers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

So, around 600 euro for the procedure. Flights that may be at short notice. Accommodation. Food. As I said, guts of 1000 euro

The Marie Stopes clinic in England charges people from Ireland less for abortions as they take into consideration flights ect

err...yea, you do know that you stay in the place where you get the operation, it's not like getting a wort lanced. So accommodation and food are in the price of 400 pounds which is 500euro plus you can fly to liverpool, newcastle, london etc for around a tenner. You have a good few weeks to decide after finding out you're pregnant to book the flights.
    As pointed out above the £400 is the cost of a supervised medical abortion (they're jokingly referred to as "lunchtime abortions"). It's at the very bottom of the scale and is only applicable early in the pregnancy. A second trimester abortion would cost at least double that.

The Marie Stopes clinic in England charges people from Ireland less for abortions as they take into consideration flights ect

So does BPAS. Still works out being a bit under a grand when everything is taken into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lifelong atheist here who is not totally anti abortion but I am not Pro Choice either. Theres a lot of things in life we are not allowed a Choice on for very good reasons. There a lot of things in life that we are forced to take responsibility for to a point.

In many other countries that baby would have had its spine cut at the neck with shears to complete the 'abortion'

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Forgive me pointing out the obvious here, but there appears to be some confusion as to whether the baby was healthy or not.

The baby was perfectly healthy where it was. Taking it out of that environment at that stage of its life was life-threatening. Whats confusing about that?

Calling it a baby, when it's not, is emotional bollocks thrown about by militant pro-lifers.

Yep

• Advertisement

A second trimester abortion would cost at least double that.

Yea, she should've gone in her first then shouldn't she.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Can someone explain how this is progress please

Ask the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Selips wrote: »
    Irrelevant what name you want to give it, it's a living human life form capable of feeling pain. It's absolutely disgusting deciding to end it's life at such a late stage. The mother made her choices to be in the position see was, the human life form inside her had no such choice.

As youre so concerned about the child will you be coming forward to adopt it then?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

That's correct.
    It's a foetus until it is born at which point it becomes a child.

It's a fetus until 23/24 weeks, at which point it becomes viable and compatible with life outside the womb (with help)

AFAIK!!!

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ask the baby.

Apparently it's not s baby its a foetus. If you insist it's s baby your not with "the times" and your a militant something or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Killing foetuses/babies is rarely a solution to any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

As youre so concerned about the child will you be coming forward to adopt it then?

I'm not pro-life, but that is such a ridiculous argument.

Oh there's s massive queue of people waiting to adopt.no problem there.

So does a foetus. While it's in the uterus, it's a foetus, medically speaking. Calling it a baby, when it's not, is emotional bollocks thrown about by militant pro-lifers.

I assume when someone on facebook put up a picture of a scan or refer to their unborn child or say they're "with child" or whatever you call them a militant pro-lifer and that it's just a bundle of cells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Apparently it's not s baby its a foetus. If you insist it's s baby your not with "the times" and your a militant something or other.

Too late, the stampede of pedantry has already started....

Advertisement