Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RobertKK wrote: »
    There was no perjury,

You're the one who seems confused. This was before the high court.

I'd say using a traumatised young woman to further your agenda on a thread relating to another victim of rape was a new low, but we both know that's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No I can't , clearly you aren't familiar with scientific/medical research.:rolleyes:
    I never said in every single case, I said that was the result of vast amounts of research on the subject. I did not say it was my personal opinion or my interpretation of the research.
    Lou.m wrote: »
    Rape victims always confound prolifers.

The morning after pill is not always effective and sometimes a woman is not even thinking of that.

They don't need it. Apparently a womans body has a way of dealing with stuff like this. It shuts down. So if a rape victim gets pregnant, she actually wants the baby

'Oh hai, Mr. Rapist.. I know you're not going to take no for an answer but I must insist you put this condom on before you violently & sexually assault me'

What planet are you on man?

Asking them to use a condom at least, apparently is enough to have a rape conviction thrown out in a court, too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

beanie10 wrote: »
    A simple condom would have avoided all this. Plenty other contraceptives out there if not happy with a rubber.

The lady was raped. Please make yourself fully aware of the facts before rushing with asinine ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Coolmist wrote: »
    When you abort you are killing an unborn child. It's not difficult to understand the difference.

No, it's a foetus. In its early stages, it's just a bunch of cells. If you are against aborting a bunch of cells, then you must consider women to be mass-murders every month when they're having their period.

Besides all that, we don't have enough natural resources for our population of 7 billion. When we run low on oil, you'll see plenty of killing when countries invade each other for the last drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

I never post when these abortion treads come up, not because im for or against the arguments but because they just go around in circles back and forth arguing, with very valid points on both sides. But in this case there is now a child involved..... a child who could have been aborted and forgotten about or who might have gone to full term and be perfectly healthy. Instead is now more then likely fighting for life facing a future of health problems if it survives, this child is now suffering. we can argue about the rights of the mother and the rights of the unborn baby but this is some sick in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I can only guess:
    Girl: 'I don't want the baby'
    hse: 'you don't want to keep the baby?'
    girl: 'no'
    hse: 'so you want an abortion?'
    girl: 'what is that?'
    hse 'you won't have the baby after that, is that what you want?'

Just a point from the medical perspective. If, and that is a MASSIVE if, the lady did not know what an abortion was, it would be explained to her in detail. I find it hard to believe that she didn't know what an abortion was but if she didn't, it would be explained to her, just like any other medical procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Pro-lifers don't give a toss about the child's life. They only care about the idea of a life.What about the rest of its life (however long that is)? Who's going to support it? Who's going to raise it? This poor child is going to have a very, very, very difficult life. "Oh but you'd rather kill it?" YES. I would rather not bring an innocent life into the world in such awful circumstances,against its mothers wishes all because morally bankrupt politicians are afraid to make a decision that might upset their chances of staying on the pigs back. Aborting the very much unconscious fetus doesn't cause it pain. Forcing it into a crap life,where its chances of survival and thriving as they get older is even lower is not right.Very Irish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This is what happens when public policy is set by dogma rather than responding pragmatically to reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Pro-lifers don't give a toss about the child's life. They only care about the idea of a life.What about the rest of its life (however long that is)? Who's going to support it? Who's going to raise it? This poor child is going to have a very, very, very difficult life. "Oh but you'd rather kill it?" YES. I would rather not bring an innocent life into the world in such awful circumstances,against its mothers wishes all because morally bankrupt politicians are afraid to make a decision that might upset their chances of staying on the pigs back. Aborting the very much unconscious fetus doesn't cause it pain. Forcing it into a crap life,where its chances of survival and thriving as they get older is even lower is not right.Very Irish though.

Posts like this do the pro-choice side absolutely no favors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

Where do you stop at that line of thinking, do you stop poor people having children because they can't guarantee the child won't have a crap life?

Would you have a problem killing the child a few minutes after it has been taken out of the womb if you have no problem aborting the foetus while it is still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    Where do you stop at that line of thinking, do you stop poor people having children because they can't guarantee the child won't have a crap life?

Would you have a problem killing the child a few minutes after it has been taken out of the womb if you have no problem aborting the foetus while it is still there?

Most people who are pro-choice agree with the idea of a cut-off point.

It seems this victim was requesting an abortion from eight weeks gestation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

I must have missed the part where it said she was raped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I must have missed the part where it said she was raped.

The Times story
    https://twitter.com/Cwhyte1928/media

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Please tell me where I said the latter part of that misquote.

Do you accept the right of an unborn child to be born?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    Well that's fierce black and white.

There are cut off points in most countries, with good reasons why. There are exceptions to those cut off points in most countries, with very good reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Padd b1975

Foetus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

padd b1975 wrote: »

I would prioritise the rights of the woman (y'know, the one who is already alive) to have bodily integrity, over the rights of a foetus.

But you didn't answer what I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

padd b1975 wrote: »

surely you mean a foetus ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

Well that's fierce black and white.

There are cut off points in most countries, with good reasons why. There are exceptions to those cut off points in most countries, with very good reasons why.

I know there are. But people here were saying the foetus should have been aborted when it was viable outside the womb. I'm asking if they think its acceptable to kill the baby once its outside the womb when a few earlier the before the C-Section the child was still in the womb and they think it should have been aborted. What is so different?

• Advertisement

I would prioritise the rights of the woman (y'know, the one who is already alive) to have bodily integrity, over the rights of a foetus.

Yep, just as I suspected.

My post stays as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Is it actual fact she was raped or is this just mindless gossip. I find it near impossible to believe that a rape victim was refused an abortion. Never mind the recent referendum it was alway a rape victim's right to an abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

There was no perjury, you just got the whole case wrong and are presuming you knew more than the woman who was the centre of that case.

You wouldn't do that though Robert, would you?
    Pro-choice people in the state argued she wanted an abortion, she said she told them she didn't want the baby. She said she didn't know what an abortion was at that time.

I can only guess:
    Girl: 'I don't want the baby'
    hse: 'you don't want to keep the baby?'
    girl: 'no'
    hse: 'so you want an abortion?'
    girl: 'what is that?'
    hse 'you won't have the baby after that, is that what you want?'
    girl 'yes'.

Otherwise why did she ask to see the baby because she want to see her before giving her away for adoption?

Oh. I guess that answers that question then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is it actual fact she was raped or is this just mindless gossip. I find it near impossible to believe that a rape victim was refused an abortion. Never mind the recent referendum it was alway a rape victim's right to an abortion.

Reported in the ST as so and sadly even in the case of rape, I don't think a woman has the right to an abortion.

There's an allegation of rape.

No one seems to be able to confirm if a statement was made to the Gardaí or a criminal investigation launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A pregnant woman in Ireland, be she a rape victim or otherwise, has no rights except to remain pregnant unless her life is at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Are you saying the qualified people are wrong?

Are you saying they are always right?

Abortion up to an agreed number of weeks should be legal and completely the decision of the woman. The reasons are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Is it actual fact she was raped or is this just mindless gossip.
    She was raped according to all of the reports.
    I find it near impossible to believe that a rape victim was refused an abortion.
    Why? There is no provision for abortion on the grounds of rape in Irish law.
    Never mind the recent referendum it was alway a rape victim's right to an abortion.
    No. Not in Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

A simple condom would have avoided all this. Plenty other contraceptives out there if not happy with a rubber.

That is pathetic, offensive and insensitive, this is a rape case as you well know. However in regard to other cases of unwanted pregnancies, if you and your ilk had your way, Irish women wouldn't have that option either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    However in regard to other cases of unwanted pregnancies, if you and your ilk had your way, Irish women wouldn't have that option either!

We could always go back to letting the church take and sell babies (wanted or unwanted) for profit. That's the way god likes it.

Advertisement