Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

This is a very, a very emotive issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    The post was correct based on the information available at the time. The information was incorrect not the post.

And you haven't updated your post because............?

lazygal wrote: »
    I wonder how much help prolifers give the born. They're terrible concerned about the unborn, I wonder what campaigns they run for the born.

Very good point.

This thread shows you are either pro life or pro choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I'm asking the mods to close the thread now. The debate was good for a while
    despite one posters determination to bring RCC into it . But now there are shrieking nincompoops braying like donahies about prolifers not donating bone marrow or blood and selling babies etc. So I'll ask them to close it. I hope those so unhappy about the baby being saved will someday find peace and contentment. I hope the mother of the baby finds peace a safe home in Ireland and a long fulfilling life. Good night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

You do realise you don't have to believe in God to believe that it is wrong to kill a viable foetus.

You also don't have to be an atheist to know that inflicting unnecessary suffering upon another human being is inhumane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

despite one posters determination to bring RCC into it . But now there are shrieking nincompoops braying like donahies about prolifers not donating bone marrow or blood and selling babies etc. So I'll ask them to close it. I hope those so unhappy about the baby being saved will someday find peace and contentment. I hope the mother of the baby finds peace a safe home in Ireland and a long fulfilling life. Good night.

You do know that you can't just ask for a thread to be closed just because the debate takes a turn you disagree with right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If you don't like the debate it's because you're probably losing the debate.

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

That misrepresentation of some posters on this thread does nothing to keep up the standard of the discussion. It's a good idea to post to the standards you desire in other posters.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

despite one posters determination to bring RCC into it.

How exactly do you expect talk about this legislation in Ireland to not feature the Catholic church? They're the whole reason our laws are so out of step with the developed world.

• Advertisement

Also lads what in the name of blue cheese is a donehy when its at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

SW wrote: »
    That misrepresentation of some posters on this thread does nothing to keep up the standard of the discussion. It's a good idea to post to the standards you desire in other posters.

Part of me is beginning to enjoy her barely-holding-it-together extreme passive aggression ... you just know it's going to boil over eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I wonder how often pro life people donate blood or bone marrow. Bone marrow is meant to be quite painful to extract but saving a life is worth it right? Or are they only pro life when it's not them that suffers.

At least that's done voluntarily

It is very painful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

P_1 wrote: »
    Also lads what in the name of blue cheese is a donehy when its at home?

Yer man in 30 Rock, innit? Always braying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

despite one posters determination to bring RCC into it . But now there are shrieking nincompoops braying like donahies about prolifers not donating bone marrow or blood and selling babe s etc. So I'll ask them to close it. I hope those so unhappy about the baby being saved will someday find peace and contentment. I hope the mother of the baby finds peace a safe home in Ireland and a long fulfilling life. Good night.

I didn't see anyone posting to say they were disappointed the baby was saved. Moreso that they were disgusted that the woman's choices were undermined, despite her meeting the criteria for an abortion (seemingly).

Typical that you'd try get one last dig in before the thread ends up closed, though.

To give the unborn human being it's chance at life it could be necessary. It's the least bad option when a foetus reaches a stage where it has feelings.

The point here is that an abortion could have been allowed at a much earlier stage but this poor girl was forced to continue with the pregnancy until it became viable. That is simply outrageous and will have lasting consequences for the girl (who is no doubt extremely traumatised) and the baby who has been taken into care and will presumably face a lot of health issues as a result of such a premature birth.

Seems to me that the c-section was done at such an early stage 'just in case' the girl might commit suicide. So the experts believed her to be suicidal. Therefore she should have been allowed an abortion as early as possible. The 'experts' made a complete balls of this and the result is suffering for both the girl and the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I believe abortion should be allowed in the early stages, past 20 weeks is far too late in my opinion.

The lady in the articles asked for one at 8 weeks gestation, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

To give the unborn human being it's chance at life it could be necessary. It's the least bad option when a foetus reaches a stage where it has feelings.

No, it should never be necessary. There is enough human suffering in the world without making individuals endure more suffering so we can sleep easier at night. I certainly don't, knowing that the tragic events as reported having transpired in this specific case could so easily have been avoided if the human beings with the power to do so had shown this woman some compassion or some degree of humanity, instead of treating her like animal whose only purpose for existence was to incubate the life growing inside her, for as long as they deemed necessary, before she could be carved open and the unborn child removed from her womb.

I've heard of Satanic Cults with more compassion for humanity ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

Its damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If this situation had gotten worse and mother took her own life then they'd both be dead, which could have been a potential outcome here.

Would that have been a better outcome, rather than giving her an abortion and guaranteeing saving at least one of them?

If this woman was genuinely suicidal, what makes you think an abortion would have "guaranteed" her survival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You want your ball back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The point here is that an abortion could have been allowed at a much earlier stage but this poor girl was forced to continue with the pregnancy until it became viable. That is simply outrageous and will have lasting consequences for the girl (who is no doubt extremely traumatised) and the baby who has been taken into care and will presumably face a lot of health issues as a result of such a premature birth.

Seems to me that the c-section was done at such an early stage 'just in case' the girl might commit suicide. So the experts believed her to be suicidal. Therefore she should have been allowed an abortion as early as possible. The 'experts' made a complete balls of this and the result is suffering for both the girl and the child.
    Czarcasm wrote: »
    No, it should never be necessary. There is enough human suffering in the world without making individuals endure more suffering so we can sleep easier at night. I certainly don't, knowing that the tragic events as reported having transpired in this specific case could so easily have been avoided if the human beings with the power to do so had shown this woman some compassion or some degree of humanity, instead of treating her like animal whose only purpose for existence was to incubate the life growing inside her, for as long as they deemed necessary, before she could be carved open and the unborn child removed from her womb.

I've heard of Satanic Cults with more compassion for humanity ffs!

I'm as upset as anyone at how this case has apparently panned out, but we do not know that she could have had an abortion much earlier. That is speculation. The timeline is not at all clear. I think it's a bit premature to be blaming the 'experts' when we don't know for sure how much they were constrained by circumstances and the law. If we want to blame anything, we can first aim at the constitution. Only changing the constitution will stop this sort of thing happening again.

The lady in the articles asked for one at 8 weeks gestation, though.

It seems she did ask for an abortion at 8 weeks, but there's no evidence that she was suicidal at that point. It appears from what we know that the application was made much much later, presumably when she was deemed to be suicidal. So according to our laws, she was not allowed an abortion when she first requested one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

...shrieking nincompoops...

Pot, I'd like to introduce you to kettle, I think you'd really get along.

It's not about sleeping easy at night, it's about protecting a foetus that doesn't have a voice in the matter. It's about morality.

If you think the mother was treated like an animal how do you think a foetus is treated when it's aborted?
    Yes and I believe it should be legal at 8 weeks.

I'm sorry but those two statements do not compute

opiniated wrote: »
    If this woman was genuinely suicidal, what makes you think an abortion would have "guaranteed" her survival?

I would have thought it was obvious, but the reason she was suicidal was because she was pregnant by her rapist and didn't want to give birth to his child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

You do realise you don't have to believe in God to believe that it is wrong to kill a viable foetus.

Is it wrong to force a woman to endure pregnancy until it is?

opiniated wrote: »

Well keeping her in limbo until the foetus was barely viable outside the womb and then coercing her into a c-section certainly won't help in that regard.

The cynic in me is wondering if something will now go wrong with her asylum claim as a result of this. Afterall, official Ireland does have form when it comes to exporting tricky social issues.

It seems she did ask for an abortion at 8 weeks, but there's no evidence that she was suicidal at that point. It appears from what we know that the application was made much much later, presumably when she was deemed to be suicidal. So according to our laws, she was not allowed an abortion when she first requested one.

If that's the case, all the more reason for abortion to be allowed simply because the woman requests it, up to a certain time period. Indeed the constitution is the issue here, as is the weak government who would rather stick their fingers in their ears than show some leadership and put a referendum to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Except, it's a foetus. Not a child.

Not if it was viable outside of the uterus. after 24 weeks the baby has a high chance of survival with medical intervention. Stops being a foetus then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

The post was correct based on the information available at the time. The information was incorrect not the post.

No, the post was incorrect, you built your whole poor argument on misinformation & you tried to berate anyone who didn't accept it as "the gospel according to mrs byrne"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Not if it was viable outside of the uterus. after 24 weeks the baby has a high chance of survival with medical intervention. Stops being a foetus then.

No, technically it's still a foetus. So long as it's not born, it's a foetus, even if it's post term infact.

Advertisement