Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Women lose babies through miscarriage and get rid of foetuses through abortions.

Generally, yes, because a person who actually wants the foetus will refer to it as their baby, as that is what it'll eventually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

If you don't want a baby, don't get ****ing pregnant. It's not like there is a shortage of cheap & effective contraception methods.
    Granted, pregnancy can still happen in that 0.1% of cases and that sucks, but it's not a reason to end a (potential) life.

In cases of rape, I'm honestly undecided. There's no 'right' decision in that horrible case.

Contraceptives fail. Pills dont always work, condoms break, etc.
    Prolifers would tell you not to take a morning after pill in such a situation, so what do you do then ??
    So.... It's not okay to 'kill a baby,' but it's perfectly fine to forcibly inject anasthetic into a woman, mutilate her body by cutting her open, and leave her scarred for life?

You forget, pro life only care until the cord is cut - after that you are a person and they don't care. Women have no rights but a sub human clutter of cells with the potential to form a human being at a later date have all the right.

How far does it go? If we are talking about cells with the potential for life? Brings a whole new look to the "spit or swallow" question :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

......mutilate her body by cutting her open.....

So all women who had a CS have been mutilated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

If you don't want a baby, don't get ****ing pregnant. It's not like there is a shortage of cheap & effective contraception methods.
    Granted, pregnancy can still happen in that 0.1% of cases and that sucks, but it's not a reason to end a (potential) life.

In cases of rape, I'm honestly undecided. There's no 'right' decision in that horrible case.

How can you be undecided ? If its wrong to abort a foetus because its a potential life and tough shít for those who's contraception fails then how does the manner of the conception change anything ?

Selips wrote: »
    That's not an actual counter argument you know.

Sorry.
    Wah Wah Wah. Emotional BS. Misrepresented "fachts", Religious bollocks.

Better?

• Advertisement

Nope, because it's wanted, and will eventually be a child, because it'll be carried to term, all things going to plan. Aside from that, I don't bother looking at scan pictures on Facebook, because they bore me.
    It's still not a child, so why don't you correct them? Call them militant.
    Have you the baby/pregnancy filter installed?
    Oh, this argument. Unless you remain celibate, pregnancy is not 100% avoidable. 99% at best. Even if you're celibate, there's also the very small chance of being raped.
    Don't think it counts as celibate then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Generally, yes, because a person who actually wants the foetus will refer to it as their baby, as that is what it'll eventually be.

I'm confused at this natural response to a wanted pregnancy being used in an attempt to confuse medical terms. Of course someone looking forward to having a baby will refer to her foetus as a baby - she is looking forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm on the fence in regards to abortion. I personally wouldn't have an abortion, because I don't think I personally could cope with the aftermath. It wouldn't sit well on my conscience and I could definately see myself worse off for having an abortion than keeping an unwanted pregnancy. However, people are different and what's right for me might not be right for the woman next to me.

I'm probably more pro life than pro choice but, abortion should be available freely (without cost to the state I don't agree with abortions for free). Pregnancy can happen no matter how careful you think you're being, at the worst possible time, when it might be the one time in your life you couldn't cope with a pregnancy right then, and nobody should have to go through something so stressful and terrible when it's not the right time/choice for them. That would be just as horrific as forcing a pregnant woman intent on having a baby, to have an abortion.

However, this whole thing of "it's not a real baby" is absolute nonsense. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of babies development stages, but say at 15 weeks, it's got a heart, it's got it's arms legs fingers toes, if its a girl it's got it's ovaries, it's got a brain, it moves around. It's real. And dismissing that as "it's a bunch of cells". No it isn't.

PeteFalk78 wrote: »

Did I say that? We're speaking about a case where it's done against a person's will. I'm pretty sure cutting somebody open against their will is mutilating them.

Baby survived and mother survived. Doctors and psychologists have had their decisions vindicated. This is a happy ending - if the baby survives.

• Advertisement

All that have had one against their will, yes.
    How can you be undecided ? If its wrong to abort a foetus because its a potential life then how does the manner of the conception change anything ?

That's the problem that pro life groups face. Two emotive thoughts in direct opposition and their arguments are based on emotive arguments. It is therefore difficult to reconcile "rape" and "baby killing" you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

So.... It's not okay to 'kill a baby,' but it's perfectly fine to forcibly inject anasthetic into a woman, mutilate her body by cutting her open, and leave her scarred for life?

But she decided to go for the C Section herself? She could have followed through and attempted to starve both of them to death. Why are you making it look ad if she was tied down for the Section?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

1000 euro? Well, she hardly wanted 2 abortions.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Sexualhealth/Pages/Abortionyouroptions.aspx

Did you ever consider currency exchange, flights, accommodation, transport.. I'd say that even might top the 1000eu 😕

You forget, pro life only care until the cord is cut - after that you are a person and they don't care. Women have no rights but a sub human clutter of cells with the potential to form a human being at a later date have all the right.
    Yup, everyone who doesn't agree with you is exactly the same.
    How far does it go? If we are talking about cells with the potential for life? Brings a whole new look to the "spit or swallow" question :p
    I could equally be ridiculous and say that the umbilical cord should be left connected for as long as possible so the woman has as long as possible to decide whether to abort or not. If she doesn't like the sound of the baby crying she should still be allowed to abort it according to you. Well, once the cord is still attached.

Baby survived and mother survived. Doctors and psychologists have had their decisions vindicated. This is a happy ending - if the baby survives.

Right.
    So now a woman has an unwanted child thrust upon her. And everyone wins :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

They ones who are forced to have it to bring a baby they don't want into the world are. It's been inflicted on her against her will, will leave a physical scar and certainly a mental one. Not too big of a word to use at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

One they don't want to have when there's a far far less invasive alternative? Yes. She'll spend the next 4-8 weeks recovering from the surgery and have a permanently weakened uterine wall and visible external scars to remind her of what happened. Mutilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Amazing the depth of understanding people proporting to have regarding this undoubtably very complicated case on the basis of a three line article in a newspaper.

Muise... wrote: »
    I'm confused at this natural response to a wanted pregnancy being used in an attempt to confuse medical terms. Of course someone looking forward to having a baby will refer to her foetus as a baby - she is looking forward.
    Intent is irrelevant. It's just a bunch of cells until the cord is cut.

Did I say that? We're speaking about a case where it's done against a person's will. I'm pretty sure cutting somebody open against their will is mutilating them.

No you were being deliberately sensationalist by using that word ..... incorrectly. Mutilation has nothing got to do with the permission or lack of it.

Off to dictionary corner for you boyo.

• Advertisement

Right.
    So now a woman has an unwanted child thrust upon her. And everyone wins :rolleyes:

Who says the woman will get the child? I'm sure social services won't hand over a child to a person who wanted it murdered and was/is suicidal herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Really?
    I feel that isn't really relevant to the matter at hand.

It is, if you're going to continue with the stupidity of claiming we're an uncivilised country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Here we go again, the anti-abortion sister hood out in force to make sure women in Ireland have to go abroad for an abortion, keeping Ireland Catholic. But of course they insist they care about the mother and baby, none of them will be queuing up to take in the mother and baby though, when the spotlight is off.

No you were being deliberately sensationalist by using that word ..... incorrectly. Mutilation has nothing got to do with the permission or lack of it.

Off to dictionary corner for you boyo.

Boyo? I'm female, thank you.

I'm being as deliberately sensationalist as the people calling a foetus a baby, and an abortion murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Here we go again, the anti-abortion sister hood out in force to make sure women in Ireland have to go abroad for an abortion, keeping Ireland Catholic. But of course they insist they care about the mother and baby, none of them will be queuing up to take in the mother and baby though, when the spotlight is off.
    You should research the waiting list to adopt in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Except, it's a foetus. Not a child.
    It was a foetus. It is a child now.

Yup, everyone who doesn't agree with you is exactly the same.

I could equally be ridiculous and say that the umbilical cord should be left connected for as long as possible so the woman has as long as possible to decide whether to abort or not. If she doesn't like the sound of the baby crying she should still be allowed to abort it according to you. Well, once the cord is still attached.

No, not everyone who doesn't agree with me.
    The court of human rights have stated that the Irish position on abortion is denying mothers of their rights to choose. This clearly shows that we currently are having a backwards rule enforced upon us. If I were a woman, I dont think I could go through with having an abortion. I don't believe however that my decision should entitle me to tell another person what to do!

Clearly your last paragraph is sensationalism to levels normally found in pro life posters - so I will do like I do for those idiotic groups and disregard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In all fairness, the market for exporting catholic irish babies has dried up thanks to stupid liberals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Right.

Why do you think shes having it thrust on her? She like any mother doesn't even have to look st the baby. She can leave the hospital and not look back.Whst are you talking about?

• Advertisement

I know in my situation it has nothing to do with religion......I'm about as atheist/agnostic as you get. But at baby of 6 months is too old for an abortion. It has a very good chance of living and I think when a foetus has a change of living independently then it crosses the line to murder.

Advertisement