Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Your understanding of post natal depression is appalling.

As a whole, Robert's understanding of mental health is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Phoenix wrote: »
    Ridiculous to be frank,most other western democracies have provisions for the above regarding terminations,deeply saddening Ireland does not

Ridiculous, sickening, wrong, vile, backward, medieval.....

But when the Taoiseach of the state thinks you shouldn't pre-judge the outcome of a pregnancy where a Fatal Foetal Abnormality has been diagnosed, you can expect little better.

Ridiculous to be frank,most other western democracies have provisions for the above regarding terminations,deeply saddening Ireland does not

It's deeply saddening, deeply infuriating and deeply embarrassing, among other things.....there's so much wrong with the state of abortion legislation (or lack thereof) in Ireland it's ridiculous. It's 2014 and shít like this happens! It really beggars belief.

The more I read about this case, the more troubling it is. I'm kind of lost for words at this point. :(

It's deeply saddening, deeply infuriating and deeply embarrassing, among other things.....there's so much wrong with the state of abortion legislation (or lack thereof) in Ireland it's ridiculous. It's 2014 and shít like this happens! It really beggars belief.

The more I read about this case, the more troubling it is. I'm kind of lost for words at this point. :(

Actually. now that you mention legislation - the regulations around the existing legislation have still not been finalised, afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Is Varadkar on holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It doesn't matter in law if she was raped or not. The issue in law is if she was suicidal or not. So your sly comment is irrelevant.

Tell that to the child's father who may be wrongly accused.

She wouldn't be the first woman to make a false accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

padd b1975 wrote: »

Paddy - you're just trying too hard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Oh no we're not going down that particular rabbit hole. Just have a think about what you've said there and just how nonsensical it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

well you've clearly made up your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

To my knowledge, based on Kitty Holland's piece today, the rape took place outside Ireland which might imply that the father in question is also outside Ireland.

In any case, it is irrelevant with respect to the conditions under which the woman in question sought an abortion which was to protect her life.

I'm very pro life. I believe life should be enjoyed to the fullest.

You however are anti-choice. I am pro-choice. I don't understand how you can claim that I also am anti-choice, seeing as I am in favor of choice.
    You've made an awful lot of assumptions about someone you've never met.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Calina wrote: »
    Is Varadkar on holiday?

No he's made a statement that he won't comment on the individual case, and that we should respect the privacy of the two people involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You really just want to portray this poor girl as evil at any cost. It's bloody horrible. You can't put up a decent argument so instead attempt to smear the name of a girl you have never met who had a c-section forced upon her.... I guess, at least you're not denying your insinuation as you did yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Tell that to the woman you are accusing of lying about being raped.

It's of no relevance to her request for an abortion anyway. Her request was made on the grounds that she was suicidal.

Lying about that too of course, except that two consultant psychiatrists who know a hell of a lot more about her mental health than you do, agreed that a request for an abortion on the grounds that she was suicidal should be granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep, Young vulnerable women in care were specifically mentioned, as they can't bypass the system and feck off to Britain.

However here, the additional factor is that she indicated distress at 8 weeks to the "authorities", but it took 16 weeks for her to see a GP. Now if a young woman is distressed and asking to 'get rid' of her baby, why does it take 16 weeks for somebody to send her to a GP, irregardless of whether one thinks that will end in abortion, psychiatric care, counselling or whatever.

If she were not suicidal when she discovered she was pregnant, she couldn't have
    been anything but, after the treatment she seems to have received from some
    members of the medical profession. It would be interesting to know who the
    obstetrician was and if he/she had voiced any opinions during the abortion
    debate.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    If she were not suicidal when she discovered she was pregnant, she couldn't have
    been anything but, after the treatment she seems to have received from some
    members of the medical profession. It would be interesting to know who the
    obstetrician was and if he/she had voiced any opinions during the abortion
    debate.

Given the construction of the law, he may have no real choice. There's an imperative to protect the live of the mother, an imperative to protect the life of the child. Given the fact the pregnancy was viable, and the woman was deemed suicidal the "logical" course was to force a C-section. Unless its found that the C-section contravenes some legal principle, I'd imagine it will happen again at some stage.

The question really is why there was a 16 week gap between her saying she didn't want to continue the pregnancy and her being sent to see a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

padd b1975 wrote:

There's enough whataboutery in the thread without needing it to be derailed with victim blaming. Give it a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Is there any rules on this forum about playing the ball rather than the person ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

And we won't until we have referendum to repeal the 8th amendment.
    It gives the right to life of an implanted embryo superceedance to all rights of the woman it's in bar her right to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Nodin wrote: »
    Given the construction of the law, he may have no real choice. There's an imperative to protect the live of the mother, an imperative to protect the life of the child. Given the fact the pregnancy was viable, and the woman was deemed suicidal the "logical" course was to force a C-section. Unless its found that the C-section contravenes some legal principle, I'd imagine it will happen again at some stage.

The question really is why there was a 16 week gap between her saying she didn't want to continue the pregnancy and her being sent to see a GP.

That delay of 16 weeks was unconscionable, in a situation such as pregnancy when
    every day mattered.

We're through the neckbearded looking glass, now.

Is there any rules on this forum about playing the ball rather than the person ?

Paddy was all too willing to play/slut-shame the woman.

Paddy was all too willing to play/slut-shame the woman.

The woman did nothing wrong and neither did her child, so perhaps we can get back on topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

All you trying to get us all banned!

Phoebas wrote: »
    All you trying to get us all banned!

No, I'd just like a discussion where people are not just shouting past one another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The woman did nothing wrong and neither did her child, so perhaps we can get back on topic now.

You still havent given a reason for why the woman should be the one who has to suffer for it.

You still havent given a reason for why the woman should be the one who has to suffer for it.

Suffer for what ? Should the child suffer instead, or should neither suffer ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Suffer for what ? Should the child suffer instead, or should neither suffer ?

How could "neither suffer"? What's the solution there?

Advertisement