Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woman refused abortion - Mod Note in first post.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

lazygal wrote: »
    Any prolifer care to weigh in on whether they think the right to travel to kill an unborn child in another country should be repealed?

No, why would they, sure people are free travel abroad to do all sorts of things to children that are illegal here, but legal in another country. It doesn't make it right though. In practice, there is no way of stopping and proving someone intends to do this, and the state's jurisdiction does not extend to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

No, why would they, sure people are free travel abroad to do all sorts of things to children that are illegal here, but legal in another country. It doesn't make it right though. In practice, there is no way of stopping and proving someone intends to do this, and the state's jurisdiction does not extend to other countries.

What about assisted suicide? Legal in some countries, but could be prosecuted here on return if you helped someone to attain one. This doesn't exist with abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

SW wrote: »
    Well it would go better if you didn't ascribe things I didn't say to me.

I said that the child may perhaps feel bad that his/her mother was raped and denied an abortion. And on some level wish his/her mother was never raped or had been offered an abortion.

Is that so hard to empathise with?

Sorry. I cant imagine anybody in good mental health wishing they had been aborted.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Sorry. I cant imagine anybody in good mental health wishing they had been aborted.

But in some quarters if they had the cheek to avoid abortion, they should wish they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Neither can I, but there is a big difference between wishing you had been aborted and thinking that your mother should have had the option if she so wished. See Awkward Badger's post (#2361) above.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Not what I said but anyways....

Can you imagine a child who was the product of a rape wishing their mother was never raped?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

You could be in perfect mental health and still wish you had never been born. I suppose it depends if you have lived all of your life in pain.

But in some quarters if they had the cheek to avoid abortion, they should wish they were.

maybe you could help mrsbyrne with the hypotheticals posed here since you have such an active imagination.

Godge wrote: »
    Nope, it is much more complicated than that.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_naturalisation.html

(1) Child is child of asylum seeker, if mother is denied entry and residence status in the long run, child's time in Ireland does not count towards residency

(2) Self-supporting rule - you can't just turn 18 and apply, If mother rejects child, child fails on self-supporting rule.

Nope right back at ya there. You actually looked for an article found it and didn't read it. On st least 2 conditions this child will he an Irish citizen. Go back and this time read the page without looking for an anomaly which you thinks proves your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The question is, if this person finds out about the ordeal their mother went through, and the story of their conception, whether their mental health will suffer.

We all want to know where we come from, and sometimes the story of how we came to be affects our mental health, no ?

edit : top that with potential life long health issues due to the premature birth.

• Advertisement

The question is, if this person finds out about the ordeal their mother went through, and the story of their conception, whether their mental health will suffer.

We all want to know where we come from, and sometimes the story of how we came to be affects our mental health, no ?

They have done nothing wrong
    If society was supporting them, instead of advocating their killing, why should it ?

SW wrote: »
    Not what I said but anyways....

Can you imagine a child who was the product of a rape wishing their mother was never raped?

So you can't wish your mother had never been raped without remaining gladvto he alive? Your frustration and anger that this child wasn't aborted is causing you to become increasingly confused. Both mother and child are alive. Maybe neither are in good health but while there's life there's hope, no?

It's not about society.

Do you care a lot about what society thought about you coming into the world ?

My beloved daughter is 17 today. I have to organise coke and cake for about. 15. See you all later.

So you can't wish your mother had never been raped without remaining gladvto he alive?
    of course you can. but if you wish your mother hadn't been raped, the consequence is the child doesn't exist. It's nothing to do with happy/sad to be alive.
    Your frustration and anger that this child wasn't aborted is causing you to become increasingly confused.
    I would appreciate if you didn't attempt to demonise those that don't share your worldview. It doesn't make for a good discussion.
    Both mother and child are alive. Maybe neither are in good health but while there's life there's hope, no?
    Correct. But I'm talking about the pregnancy and rape not the events after the child was born.

So you can't wish your mother had never been raped without remaining gladvto he alive? Your frustration and anger that this child wasn't aborted is causing you to become increasingly confused. Both mother and child are alive. Maybe neither are in good health but while there's life there's hope, no?

What a ridiculous statement.
    People here are looking at the obvious consequences on this baby's life of his or her catastrophic way of coming into the world.

Obvious, objective consequences :
    ~ possible life long health issues
    ~ possible mental suffering when/if they find out about their birth and birth mother.

My beloved daughter is 17 today. I have to organise coke and cake for about. 15. See you all later.

Good luck with the squeaks and giggles, spoil her rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

What a ridiculous statement.
    People here are looking at the obvious consequences on this baby's life of his or her catastrophic way of coming into the world.

Obvious, objective consequences :
    ~ possible life long health issues
    ~ possible mental suffering when/if they find out about their birth and birth mother.

All of which are worse than death??:rolleyes: Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Thanks for the invite, we'll be round later. Save us some cake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Go easy on the coke .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Abortion is not killing a child its terminating a pregnancy. So they are issues where none would have been had there been an abortion.

Not death - never having been in the first place.

And for the record, if I had a choice between severe mental and physical disabilities meaning that I had no chance of ever living a normal or independent life, and not having been born I think I'd choose not having been born, thanks very much.

kylith wrote: »
    Not death - never having been in the first place.

And for the record, if I had a choice between severe mental and physical disabilities meaning that I had no chance of ever living a normal or independent life, and not having been born I think I'd choose not having been born, thanks very much.

Im not getting dragged into this however tempting.
    Im fairly sure a baby dies in the process, however one likes to define its life.

I would like to add this link from the Irish times though. It sums up my opinion on the matter. Well worth the the read.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/why-all-eyes-should-be-on-the-baby-who-survived-our-abortion-laws-1.1902926

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

You cop on. He made no comparison with death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Im not getting dragged into this however tempting.
    Im fairly sure a baby dies in the process, however one likes to define its life.

I would like to add this link from the Irish times though. It sums up my opinion on the matter. Well worth the the read.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/why-all-eyes-should-be-on-the-baby-who-survived-our-abortion-laws-1.1902926

"The barely concealed logic of the pro-choice commentariat is as ugly as it gets:"

Yet another disingenuous piece of religious bigotry and zealotry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Ah, mrsbyrne, if you'd had an abortion, you could still be posting on boards!

God awful joke aside, I hope your daughter and yyou have a lovely day :)

Piliger wrote: »
    "The barely concealed logic of the pro-choice commentariat is as ugly as it gets:"

Haters going to hate I guess. Seen no mention of any of those terms in the article .

I will let you get back to your crusade .

You said it better than I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

This article makes me so mad, such irresponsible and emotive journalism
    "The barely concealed logic of the pro-choice commentariat is as ugly as it gets: it is unjust and wrong for the baby to be alive now – the baby should have been killed weeks ago."

You would be hard pressed to find a single person who believes the baby should have been killed. I really hope this baby grows stronger and healthier.

I hate the pro life 'murderer' media taint. As far as I'm concerned, in this case a foetus should have been aborted when the raped and suicidal teenager requested it at 8 weeks, as is legally acceptable. End of.

• Advertisement

Haters going to hate I guess. Seen no mention of any of those terms in the article .

I will let you get back to your crusade .

First sentence of the second paragraph.

Advertisement