Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Video Monitor

Options
  • 16-08-2014 1:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a video baby monitor ?
    that does not cost an arm and a leg
    and has night vision

also, are the ones that use DECT technology harmful ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Hello,

and has night vision

also, are the ones that use DECT technology harmful ?

In fairness they're going to cost you big time. A webcam would be a better idea. And cheaper! They're pretty pointless anyway, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hello,

and has night vision

lidl on monday :

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=250

youtube of same yoke :

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    In fairness they're going to cost you big time. A webcam would be a better idea. And cheaper! They're pretty pointless anyway, to be honest.

Mmm, I actually have a webcam already for my pc.

But it woukd not work at night

Are they not handy though ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

gctest50 wrote: »

This is the one we have and I find it really good. The sound is very sensitive, and the night view is so clear that you can literally watch him breathing!

However it would be worth shopping around, we got ours on Amazon and I think it might have been only around €60 at the time ... prices fluctuate all the time on Amazon, so it's worth keeping an eye out there! I reckon you could definitely get better value than that price anyways.

Not sure how a webcam would work out ... one thing that's very handy about that monitor is that you can use the "parent" monitor wirelessly, great for when you're moving around the house. Also the pan and tilt function is handy (for when the baby is moving around the cot) and the two-way speaker function will be great when he's a little bit older.

• Advertisement

Mmm, I actually have a webcam already for my pc.

But it woukd not work at night

Are they not handy though ?

We were going to get one, but decided against one because of the price

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    We were going to get one, but decided against one because of the price

Would you not consider getting one second-hand and re-selling when you're done with it in a couple of years ... I imagine that they're the kind of thing that would hold value very well.

Would you not consider getting one second-hand and re-selling when you're done with it in a couple of years ... I imagine that they're the kind of thing that would hold value very well.

I just can't see ourselves using it.. That's why we decided not to spend the money on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had this one here for first baby. It's got loads of features, but it broke twice on us. Tony Kealy were excellent at replacing/repairing it, even more than a year later with no receipt.
    But for the past year we've been using the angelcare without the mat. Never bothered connecting the mat up (second child, so you don't panic as much!), but it's far better than the Luvion. Obviously no video, we found it to be perfectly unnecessary, sound quality is perfect, battery lasts days (handy if you bring it into your bedroom and leave the charger in the sitting room), and cos it's audio only no setting up the camera. Getting the right camera angle is a pain in the hole with the Luvion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

You know the way on the audio monitor you can sometimes pick up the wrong signal and hear someone else, like the neighbours, or a taxi radio etc...

I know this is a bit far fetched but... Well could the video monitor pick up pictures of someone else's baby and vice versa??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't think so, they're paired with each other. The range isn't that far either, I'd be surprised if they picked up anything. I never got interference from either of mine and i've used one every night for almost 3 years.

Ours has some kind of data encryption technology for added security. To be honest it's not something I'd even be worried about. Who's going to want to spy on a sleeping baby?!

OK there are some weirdos out there ... but my thinking is that they're very few and far between. It definitely wouldn't make me think twice about using the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Oh I know, as I said it is far fetched.

I just have been freaked out before when I was on my own and heard an Italian man (my neighbour) talking on my child's monitor.
    If I saw someone on it, then I think I would have heart failure.

I am sure they don't pick up signals from other video monitors, but just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Just curious as to why a person would choose a video camera monitor over a normal monitor?

I've worked with children with various illness \ epilepsy etc where at night in the home some were used but other than that I found they were temperamental.

They could be improved by now thou

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Anyone have any comments on if the DECT technology is harmful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Anyone have any comments on if the DECT technology is harmful ?
    There are arguments and "studies" showing both the danger and the negligible danger of such monitors on Dr. Google so depending on what side of the fence you fall on you will find something to support what you believe. You should probably read what you can and then make a decision yourself based on the information available. I use a monitor every day and have done so since my son was 6 weeks old without any fear of risk to my son's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

inverse square law suits this sort of thing

AP3aEcB.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Had the plain audio for a while and was recommended the video. The best thing we ever got for baby....

• Advertisement
Advertisement