Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor pet feeder for feral cat

• 16-08-2014 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I've been feeding a feral cat for two years and it's gotten very domesticated and reliant on being fed regularly.

We will be away for a week and I am wondering if it is possible to get an automatic pet feeder which can be left outdoors. Any replies or links appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/feeders

I found this one glancing quickly online but they don't seem to hold the amount you'd need for a week or be programmable for that length of time. Is there anyone, a neighbour or a family member perhaps, who could drop by to feed the cat for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

Thanks very much for the link - unfortunately we live in the middle of nowhere so it's kind of difficult short of paying anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Andrew%20James%20pet%20feeder

If you can leave the feeder in a sheltered area at all (porch?) these automatic feeders do work really well. Just make sure you feed your visitor at the spot where the automatic feeder will be located while you're away.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You should be able to find a large gravity pet feeder quite easily in any co-op or pet shop. Unfortunately you can't be sure that no other animal will use it too, but if you get a couple (and don't forget the water!) you should have a better chance that the food will last the week - to be honest, I'd hardly call it feral if you've been feeding it for that long...

Anyway, this is the sort of thing I had in mind.

Hope Kitty will be ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

Thanks very much for the links - have ordered the large gravity feeder. I don't normally feed him in the porch but will start tomorrow to get him acquainted with it. He was originally feral and would run a mile if he even saw you - it took him a long time to allow people to get close. He used to allow me to pet him but then must have got a scare from someone else. He will rub off me and sit near me now but shies now if I try to pet him. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

belinda502 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the links - have ordered the large gravity feeder. I don't normally feed him in the porch but will start tomorrow to get him acquainted with it. He was originally feral and would run a mile if he even saw you - it took him a long time to allow people to get close. He used to allow me to pet him but then must have got a scare from someone else. He will rub off me and sit near me now but shies now if I try to pet him. Thanks again.

The cat we have sounds very like your visitor, she appeared in our garden 6 or so years ago, it took months before she would allow me to pet her. I have just put her outdoors for the night, she was curled up on my lap for the past 2 hours. She's not super comfortable being indoors but likes the company.

I have used the 90 day programmable feeder whenever we've been away for more than a day or 2 and it's worked fine. Definitely tested it before we left to ensure it worked, but that's not an issue I guess for a gravity fed device.

Good luck with it, you are kind to be concerned about the cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

loads of animal lovers on here who would be more than willing to drop in regardless of how remote you live to check on puss for you while away

maybe give a rough idea of where you live

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I bet he's only after your stash of catnip... ;oD

Advertisement