Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 2 Transfers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I think it's important we don't build Mata up too much either in defending him. Sometimes an initial reaction can actually be the best one. Mata was poor, United were poor. Other teams looked much better going forward.

However we expect/demand a higher level of performance. We shouldn't expect him to reinvent the wheel though. Some may subconsciously be expecting nothing less that 13/15 points from Mata come the weekend to make up for last weekend. I've been more guilty than most in building up players because I have him and ignore the free scoring alternative that most have. An assist and perhaps a BP or 2 would be enough and we can take it from there.

I think last season has changed me :eek:

Great point - he doesn't have to 'catch up' on sterling for last week imho. More just get an assist or something and show he'll return over the next month or two.

It will also be important to monitor him against Rooney as I'm sure most of us are eventually thinking Roo or Costa will end up being a Sturridge or Aguero at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Tommy54

I see where you're coming from He's a great player and performs consistently but it's the game time thats worrying. Any tips for this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Liam2012

Tommy54 wrote: »
    I see where you're coming from He's a great player and performs consistently but it's the game time thats worrying. Any tips for this week?

If you don't have Fab or Siggy I'd get one of them. Man U were excellent away from home last year too so Rooney and Mata could be a better bet this week. This is a risk though until we see an improvement but if the trend is similar to last year it could pay off.

I read somewhere pre-season that Andy Robertson (Hull) was a very attacking fullback. Anyone know how he did on Saturday? I see he picked up a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Barring an injury to Ramsey tonight, I will be saving my transfer.

I have Fab and Siggy (benched him!) and I'm not getting rid of Mata because of one game. He was bought because of Man Utds first 8 games, not just last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

kennyb3 wrote: »
    So if Mata outscores Siggy, you'll get ridoof him because he's a difficult game in GW 4 - he's 5 nice ones in a row after hat though?And you wont spend the 3m in GW 2 or GW 3 transfers?

I'll have to see after the second game week but as it stands I feel there are much better options than mata, it's not that he just picked up two points and lost, it was the manner united played and it was awful.

If united start winning and mata looks involved I'll put him in, united have no European distractions so I really fancy him as an option down the line whether it's game week 3 or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Liam2012 wrote: »

I read somewhere pre-season that Andy Robertson (Hull) was a very attacking fullback. Anyone know how he did on Saturday? I see he picked up a bonus.

Yeah he's somebody I've been meaning to mention on the Watchlist thread. he's meant to be very attacking

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Worried about not having Costa next week..to get him in I would need to do the following:

Sanchez to Ramsey
    Hazard to Fabregas
    Dzeko to Costa
    Fletcher to 5.0 striker or downgrade one of my 5.0 to 4.5.

Would you wildcard in this case? Very wary of knee jerking also but while I had doubts about Costa, it looks a silly decision not to include him with the players he has to supply him and price rises are making me think about it. I also have Mata, and still undecided whether to ship him or not but think i will give him another week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lemlin wrote: »
    For the short answer - Sterling is the more in-form player and has a better injury record than Silva. My long term plan is also Aguero as my City attacker.

I'm looking at long term tranfers and I believe very much in coverage. I had planned to have Sturrudge as my Liverpool coverage but took him out late Friday evening for Costa.

Having watched Liverpool on Sunday, Sterling looks to be the in-form player and if it comes down to Sterling/Aguero or Silva/Sturridge, I know which pairing I'm going for.

I've said since before GW1 that I have Aguero in mind. My problem now is whether he should be for Rooney or Costa.

Silva may have scored more points per minute last season (I haven't looked into it) but I'd be interested in seeing their stats since Xmas. Sterling has improved considerably. Two years ago I wouldn't trust him to hit a barn door when through on goal.

But Sterling scored against City and Spurs last season. In fact, the form he's in he could score against anyone. Over the years, believe it or not, fixtures are one of the last things I generally look at for a player. Whether or not he is in form is one of the main things. Liverpool, City and Arsenal aren't Chelsea, there are rarely boring 0-0 draws I'd also add.

As for Man United and their revival, I put myself down to two United players Friday evening taking De Gea out. Even if I expect United to beat Sunderland, to justify having two attacking players from any club, in my book, you have to expect them to be putting up big scores a good few weeks. Playing a defensive minded 5-3-2 with poor central midfield players, I have to ask myself do I expect United to do this?

I don't even expect United to beat Sunderland at the weekend let alone give them a thumping.

While not ready to take Mata out yet due to the structure of my team it makes a fair bit of sense to only have 1 utd attacker. My ideal scenario which I wont get to till I wildcard for my front 8 is a player from utd, arsenal, chelsea, city, pool, siggy and a 4.5 mid. This leaves one spot and as things stand atleast 2 or 3 of the other teams look more likely to score goals than utd.
    For arguments sake
    sterling ramsey siggy marney
    aguero rooney costa
    mata is up against fab, hazard, silva, sanchez, walcott, ozil etc for that last spot.
    For now Im happy to have him till GW3 as thats the earliest Ill wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Not being smart, just posing a legitimate question for debate, but why not Silva? At home as opposed to away GW 2 and see GW 3 fixture (can switch to Sterling after if needs be)! Both scored in first week. (okay Sterling got an assist and not booked).

Silva had more points per min last year also.

Makes no sense that Sterling is getting exponentially more transfers in. I understand more but not the degree of the gap. Sterling seems a bit flavour of the monthish.

Is it preserving team value or chasing team value?

I get that team value can help later, but the game is still all about points scored. Every year i see guys at top of leaderboard who make all their transfers on a friday night, avoiding more injuries and hits.

Sterling is basically playing as a second striker, that's why. it's nothing to do with 'flavour of the month'.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'll have to see after the second game week but as it stands I feel there are much better options than mata, it's not that he just picked up two points and lost, it was the manner united played and it was awful.

If united start winning and mata looks involved I'll put him in, united have no European distractions so I really fancy him as an option down the line whether it's game week 3 or later.

I really am confused - so you started with him but fancy him as an option down the line if united improve. (note it was only 1 game they could improve the next, yes they were awful, they could lose the next game 1-0 or win it 3-1, we just don't know based on one game)

Then you plan to put him in after he performs, I think that's the definition of chasing points, and if he stops performing for say 2 weeks then?

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Sterling is basically playing as a second striker, that's why. it's nothing to do with 'flavour of the month'.

:confused: maybe see my responses to Lemlin below. It was a post to prompt a proper debate (as noted on the opening line).

He was due to play that role pre Sunday, yeah? What's changed? Why not have him in from the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I have asked this twice already and yet to get a response , yaya toure , keep it sell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

:confused: maybe see my responses to Lemlin below. It was a post to prompt a proper debate (as noted on the opening line).

He was due to play that role pre Sunday, yeah? What's changed? Why not have him in from the start?

I had Sterling in a lot of my pre season teams.
    Unfortunately I just decided against him, I really hope my United bias didn't come into it but tbh it probably did a tiny bit.
    In an extremely tight call, a toss up, it probably did.

I knew Sterling would be playing in an advanced position but after watching the game I was surprised just how advanced he was. Probably more advanced than Sturridge for long spells. From watching that first match I've gotten a feeling that he will fill a big void in Liverpool's scoring from last season.

It's only 1 game, but he's gotten even more attractive for me now.... The cute little thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

The temptation to WC and make some changes to my team just for the sake of it....:pac:

Despite a solid score this week there's still a number of moves i'd like to make! Time to step away from the computer i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

are people just keeping myhill becasue he is cheap ? I have him too but he doesnt play right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

The temptation to WC and make some changes to my team just for the sake of it....:pac:

Despite a solid score this week there's still a number of moves i'd like to make! Time to step away from the computer i reckon!

Natural enough, same as myself...i got 67 points and all i can think about is....how could i have got 77 points, tut tut should have had ramsey instead of Hazard!

It will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

miller82 wrote: »
    are people just keeping myhill becasue he is cheap ? I have him too but he doesnt play right ?

I have him, I have Foster aswell! Theyre cheap as chips, and one of them will defo play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

El festino wrote: »
    Worried about not having Costa next week..to get him in I would need to do the following:

Sanchez to Ramsey
    Hazard to Fabregas
    Dzeko to Costa
    Fletcher to 5.0 striker or downgrade one of my 5.0 to 4.5.

Would you wildcard in this case? Very wary of knee jerking also but while I had doubts about Costa, it looks a silly decision not to include him with the players he has to supply him and price rises are making me think about it. I also have Mata, and still undecided whether to ship him or not but think i will give him another week or two.

4 transfers? I'd wildcard. Why not just do Sanchez to Henderson/Sigurdsson/Eriksen/Sterling then dzeko to costa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You will have that temptation every week until you use the wildcard

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Tommy54

A lot of good tips here i'll be coming back again. Hopefully i'll have my best season yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I really am confused so youstaIted with hm but fancy him as an option down the dne if united improve. (note it was only 1 game they could improve the next, yes they were awful, they could lose the next game 1-0 or win it 3-1, we just don't know based on one game)

Then you plan to put him in after he performs, I think that's the definition of chasing points, and if he stops performing for say 2 weeks then?

There's not right or wrong answer mata could play amazing, people will say I have egg on my face, if he doesn't I'll say I told you so etc etc

United were terrible against a lower mid table team at home, he didn't perform, he was the weakest link in my team this week and other players in his price range did perform.

Out of interest What transfer will you do?

jive wrote: »
    4 transfers? I'd wildcard. Why not just do Sanchez to Henderson/Sigurdsson/Eriksen/Sterling then dzeko to costa
    Cheers.. Will have some patience and give Sanchez, Mata and Hazard another week. Just brought in Siggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

To be honest I probably got caught up in some of the hysteria on here about United's fixtures pre season. For weeks now people have been posting about United's "easy" fixtures.

I haven't been paying all that much attention to my selection either. If you look over the Rate My Team Thread you'll see I made very few posts about my own team because I wasn't putting much emphasis on my initial selection.

It was Friday evening before I noticed how poor the United team looked (Blackett, Reece James due to start, Smalling starting) and I immediately dumped De Gea. As ownership of Mata was high on here, I went against my own judgement and kept him.

Having watched both at the weekend, I'm thinking now Sterling is the right move for my team. It mightn't be the right move for everyone but, as I've explained above, he fits my team well given my plan to go for Aguero.

I have 2.5 mil in the bank and Sterling will leave me with 3 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

should I keep faith with Davies as naughton is suspended? Also Filipe Luis whats the chance of him playing sat?

Lemlin wrote: »
    To be honest I probably got caught up in some of the hysteria on here about United's fixtures pre season. For weeks now people have been posting about United's "easy" fixtures.

I think a lot of us did :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

El festino wrote: »
    I think a lot of us did :(

Ah ffs

They have only played one game- Mata could hit two next week and people will be here crying because they shipped him out for Sterling who will probably blank away to City

People need to chill the fook out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You will have that temptation every week until you use the wildcard

So you're saying i SHOULD just use it then ;):pac::D

I usually WC in GW3 but i usually never have a good start so i will try to hold off as long as i can, however my bench is a mess! Bruce injured, James injured and Taylor didnt even play 60 mins and Chambers well i just have to hope he gets his game next weekend!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

If people want to make transfers let them make transfers, no need to fret about it. You can't learn if you don't make some mistakes first.

If the transfers go well then great, well played. If they backfire completely and Mata bangs in a hat trick then its a valuable lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

If the thread is this hyped already what're yiz going to be like come gameweek four? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

I have asked this twice already and yet to get a response , yaya toure , keep it sell ?

Judging on last year, keep. The man is a machine.

Advertisement