Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 2 Transfers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

roryc wrote: »
    Not sure where the figures above are coming from but Mata will likely only go down £0.1m this week, and Sterling up £0.1m.

Well I wasn't considering this week alone, I'm look at between now and Sunday/Monday, when Mata/Sterling actually play.

Sterling has gone up 0.1 already so I'd be pretty certain he'll go up another 0.1 this week.

You're right though, Mata will probably only drop 0.1 this week. But by Monday he could be down 0.2m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Mata probably won't have a better run of fixtures all year than he has for the next 5 weeks. He had an off day on Saturday he had a similar performance at the back end of last year and came back with two double digit scores in a row, he hasn't become a bad player overnight and it's unlikely that VanGaal will lose faith in him so quickly.
    I think it's reasonable to expect a big performance from united this week, whether that means hockeying Sunderland or not I don't know as they look vulnerable at the back, no reason to think they can't score a few goals (I predict three;))
    Has there been any mention of Tom Ince on this thread, what are peoples thoughts, he was quite prolific with Blackpool and has been spoken of as a future England regular, he needs to step up now at the top level. He's also got a lovely run of fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Not sure where the figures above are coming from but Mata will likely only go down £0.1m this week, and Sterling up £0.1m.
    Well I wasn't considering this week alone, I'm look at between now and Sunday/Monday, when Mata/Sterling actually play.

Sterling has gone up 0.1 already so I'd be pretty certain he'll go up another 0.1 this week.

You're right though, Mata will probably only drop 0.1 this week. But by Monday he could be down 0.2m.

Just reading the Price changes page now….you might be right re: Sterling not rising a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

zarquon wrote: »
    The aim should be to avoid using the wildcard early in the season. Poor team choices are the reason a wildcard is necessary. I have a plan and im not changing it. People that throw their team plans out the window after 1 week weren't all that prepared to begin with.

That may be your aim but it is not necessarily the correct strategy. The overall winner 2 years ago wildcarded after week 1, I remember reading an interview with him and his plan was to get 6 DGW players in for week 1, get off to a good start and wildcard straight away, it worked out pretty well for him! I think last years winner also wildcarded in the first couple of weeks (could be wrong on this).

In general there is no correct way of playing the game, different strategies work and it's up to each individual to choose which way they think will work best for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

"The Mata Conflict", as it has become known as in certain circles, is one which has many factors.
    Performance
    Mata didnt show the level of performance that he his capable of, that other players in the league did during GW1.
    Team
    Mata plays for Man Utd. who look to be continuing last seasons dreadful form at home. No matter what way you look at it, Mata needs players around him to support him, and for him to support. A new system for the team will take longer to bed in.
    Cash Money
    His price will more than likely drop. Its Wednesday and he is over 2/3rds of the way towards dropping. Others in a similar bracket of player will rise. If you have no cash money lying around which you have squirreled away for exactly this kind of dilemma, then your decision becomes more complex. Firstly, tut tut, always save for a rainy day. Secondly, it could be a case that you could be stuck scratching your head trying to figure out which 7.5m player will have a good run of form, rather than which 9m player will not only score but grab an assist aswell. Once your war chest is damaged and you dont act quickly things can go pear shaped in your team even faster...then you'll be one of the people towards the bottom of the league that your friends slag and you claim "not to care about fpl" or "i stopped playin after week 3". Bollócks. Everybody cares about FPL...my wife cares about FPL.
    The Conflict
    If loads of players transfer Mata out now, and he takes a hit, they will be far less likely to transfer him in again, having the feeling that the were somehow "burned by him", theres a stigma attached to players who have taken the hit , a reluctance to go back to them. Honestly, this happened with me with Mata last season and he came out hot. Assists and even 2 or 3 goals. 4 solid weeks of great performances. I made my profit and sold him on again. If Mata's price drops (which I feel it will), even with 2/3 good performances, how long is it going to take to rise again? Are you going to be held hostage by a little jersey on your screen?
    The Premier League
    Its savage isnt it. Mata could score a hat trick next week, he could flop. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Weetabix wrote: »
    That may be your aim but it is not necessarily the correct strategy. The overall winner 2 years ago wildcarded after week 1, I remember reading an interview with him and his plan was to get 6 DGW players in for week 1, get off to a good start and wildcard straight away, it worked out pretty well for him! I think last years winner also wildcarded in the first couple of weeks (could be wrong on this).

In general there is no correct way of playing the game, different strategies work and it's up to each individual to choose which way they think will work best for them.

That was for a scenario where the game started with a DGW. In such a situation an early wildcard would be an appropriate tactic. For single game weeks it's not so clear cut. If you start off with a poor selection then a wildcard can be beneficial.

I prefer to hold my wildcard until the double GW stages as that's where they are most potent. If there are no early DGWs then for me it's best to hold on to the WC if the squad is at a good level. I'm happy with my selection, will carry a transfer to next week and make some minor adjustments if required. I expect i won't have to use my WC too early this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

zarquon wrote: »
    That was for a scenario where the game started with a DGW. In such a situation an early wildcard would be an appropriate tactic. For single game weeks it's not so clear cut. If you start off with a poor selection then a wildcard can be beneficial.

I prefer to hold my wildcard until the double GW stages as that's where they are most potent. If there are no early DGWs then for me it's best to hold on to the WC if the squad is at a good level. I'm happy with my selection, will carry a transfer to next week and make some minor adjustments if required. I expect i won't have to use my WC too early this year.

I don't agree with holding for potential DGW but as I said, different strategies for different people. Last year the DGW's only happened towards the end of the year and if you planned ahead could easily have lots of DGW players.

I will probably wildcard early this year despite having a decent start but will wait to see how the next couple of weeks go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Good point, hadn't considered the fact that they don't play until Sun/Mon. I'm still definitely holding on to Mata. United played solid pre-season, they just had a bad week. I expect them to do well on Sunday, and if United do well, Rooney and Mata will score points. If they play badly again this weekend then I will likely have to move on Mata as his price will plummet. Not bothered if I lose a bit of cash on Mata -> Sterling by waiting, he has much better fixtures and has shown in pre-season hes on good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Weetabix wrote: »
    Yeah exactly. What worked one year to win the leage for someone might not work the next year. For every Ramsey bandwagon that's worth jumping on there's a Van Wolfswinkle, Amilfitano or Johnson that's just a flash in the pan.

Each to their own.

And for what it's worth I transferred Young to JWP this week.

Rationalised it (a) I have another 2 Utd players and they don't look like world beaters, (b) he played 45mns in defence and we're not sure if it'll be 352 or 442 next week (c) makes .5 profit (d) JWP played up front last week (e) JWP created 3 that should have been assists last week (f) JWP had decent delivery (e) low ownership (f) as good a run of fixtures as Young

Could look like a genius in 2 weeks time, could look like an idiot - it's impossible to know and it's why we love the game

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah exactly. What worked one year to win the leage for someone might not work the next year. For every Ramsey bandwagon that's worth jumping on there's a Van Wolfswinkle, Amilfitano or Johnson that's just a flash in the pan.

Each to their own.

And for what it's worth I transferred Young to JWP this week.

Rationalised it (a) I have another 2 Utd players and they don't look like world beaters, (b) he played 45mns in defence and we're not sure if it'll be 352 or 442 next week (c) makes .5 profit (d) JWP played up front last week (e) JWP created 3 that should have been assists last week (f) JWP had decent delivery (e) low ownership (f) as good a run of fixtures as Young

Could look like a genius in 2 weeks time, could look like an idiot - it's impossible to know and it's why we love the game

Snap. Hoping JWP plays consistently and will be a decent first sub most weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Anyonewith Snodgrass, out for 9 months, dislocated kneecap

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyonewith Snodgrass, out for 9 months, dislocated kneecap

That went well for Hull anyway.

They completely overpaid for him considering he only had 12 months left on his deal and if he's out for 9 months his season is done after 1 game. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Rosco79

Paully D wrote: »
    That went well for Hull anyway.

They completely overpaid for him considering he only had 12 months left on his deal and if he's out for 9 months his season is done after 1 game. Ouch!

At least they were bailed out by Southampton.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭sheroman01

What do you's make of this?

Mata and Flippe Luis - OUT

Spurs defender (maybe Kaboul) and Fabergas - IN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

sheroman01 wrote: »

Not too sure on that. Luis could well play this weekend. Can't see Mourinho not playing him for 2 games on the trot. Mata to Fabregas would be a reasonable transfer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

What are the chances of De Jong playing at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Guffy

Given their schedule would Silva to Fab be a move worth making?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

sheroman01 wrote: »

Spurs defence is too uncertain for me at the moment. I think only Walker (when he returns) and Vertonghen are the only potential season-long keepers. I said it in another thread, but chatting to a few Spurs supporters they reckon Dier will give Kaboul a run for his money for a starting berth at CB. At LB, nobody seems sure whether Rose will continue to keep Davies out.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

What are the chances of De Jong playing at the weekend?

And Pardew is hopeful he will be available, though midfielder Cheik Tiote – who has been sidelined with a hamstring problem – is a little behind de Jong in his own rehabilitation.

“I think Siem will be close next week,” said Pardew, whose side were beaten by goals from David Silva and Sergio Aguero.

The scoreline flattered City, who were made to work hard for the points by a new-look United side which included four debutants.

“Without Siem and Cheik – who I think will make a big difference to us – I thought we had a really good go,” said Pardew.

Source: The Shield's Gazette

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

The more I look at Chelsea fixture, the more I think everyone should have 3 Chelsea players next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

And Pardew is hopeful he will be available, though midfielder Cheik Tiote – who has been sidelined with a hamstring problem – is a little behind de Jong in his own rehabilitation.

“I think Siem will be close next week,” said Pardew, whose side were beaten by goals from David Silva and Sergio Aguero.

The scoreline flattered City, who were made to work hard for the points by a new-look United side which included four debutants.

“Without Siem and Cheik – who I think will make a big difference to us – I thought we had a really good go,” said Pardew.

Source: The Shield's Gazette

Thanks.

I'll probably wait and see how he does at the weekend so, he'll probably only get 60 mins or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The more I look at Chelsea fixture, the more I think everyone should have 3 Chelsea players next week.

What would u think of mata to hazard already have costa and fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

What would u think of mata to hazard already have costa and fab.

I'd go for a defender, as you would expect them to rack up a nice few clean sheets. Ivanovic or Terry maybe. Imo of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Liam2012 wrote: »
    Have to agree with this. Without RVP ManU don't hockey anyone. They have a good chance of winning based on their away record last season but it could be a close game. Also bear in mind Sunderland's home record last year was very good too under Poyet. Having said that I'm holding Mata for another week or 2. More pressing needs for me.

I think United can "hockey" teams without RVP. They beat Newcastle and Norwich 4-0 last season when RVP didn't play.

I'm not sure if they'll hockey teams under LVG's system though. Listen to the analysis and it is all about the system being made to fit having inferior defensive players and being defence based. That's why he used it for the Netherlands in the World Cup. 5 across the back because they hadn't a great defence. They did have Robben and Sneijeder though!

I did the Mata move last night. In the end, I did it mainly because I'm happy to chase team value for the first few weeks. The fact is if you hold onto Mata and he doesn't perform well this weekend, people are going to continue transferring him out for players like Ramsey, Silva, Fabregas, Sterling and Siggy. Once he drops it'll be impossible for anyone who has no money in the bank to do a straight swap of Mata for Silva or Ramsey. That is a dent to any team IMO.

I also went with my own gut. Mata has good stats for the end of last season but he seems to have been elevated to a huge status on the forum here. Had I not been reading the posts full of praise for him here, I think I would have done this move on Monday. Yes, he did well in pre-season but, as I said here last week, how much emphasis can you really put on pre-season?

If Mata does perform this weekend, I'll transfer him in for the Burnley game at the reduced price. The max I can see it costing me is <10 points and I'm happy to take that risk. I have no other pressing transfers for the future. I want Aguero but I can't see myself risking him for GW3 just for him to go on a two week international break and get injured. Last year he was also rested in GW4 after the international break so I think GW5 is my target for him.

Those of you keeping Mata can take solace in the fact though that last season I transferred him out and he duly scored 3 goals in his next two games!

I'd go for a defender, as you would expect them to rack up a nice few clean sheets. Ivanovic or Terry maybe. Imo of course.

Only have a million in the bank and my most expensive defender is 4.5 so a chelsea def is out of reach.

Only have a million in the bank and my most expensive defender is 4.5 so a chelsea def is out of reach.

I think Mata to Hazard is a decent move. Chelsea look like they could rack up some big scores. You'd expect them to score at least two in most matches.

Your other option is Silva if you don't already have him. I thought about him over Sterling but I'm just not sure about his injury record.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think Mata to Hazard is a decent move. Chelsea look like they could rack up some big scores. You'd expect them to score at least two in most matches.

Your other option is Silva if you don't already have him. I thought about him over Sterling but I'm just not sure about his injury record.

I'm lucky in that my team is in decent shape so it would be a 1 week punt. I'd prob do hazard to silva the following week or costa to dzeko aguero.

I'm lucky in that my team is in decent shape so it would be a 1 week punt. I'd prob do hazard to silva the following week or costa to dzeko aguero.

I'm the same. I can afford to take a one week move to preserve my team value. If its a one week punt, I'd definitely go for Hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Scored 58 in GW 1 which was solid enough, and even though I have a few concerns with the squad (Mata, Luis Felipe, Cameron), I think I'm going to bank my transfer and see what the lie of the land is after GW2. If Felipe and Cameron see no gametime again they will likely depart. Hoping obviously that Mata will still come good in the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is it worth transferring out Giroud for Costa for a 4 point hit?

Had a poor first week. Only 41.

Advertisement