Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameweek 2 Transfers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

unplayable wrote: »
    taking out giroud for obvious reasons.

What's the obvious reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

because i watched them last sat and during the week and he was terrible.

and i cant say for certain he will start on sat?

would you keep him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

It seems to me that anybody who scored less than six points last week has been completely written off on this forum during the week;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

would you keep him?

Why did you buy him in the first place?

It seems to me that anybody who scored less than six points last week has been completely written off on this forum during the week;)
    Indeed. People spend ages planning picking their first team then decide it's not good enough after 1 game. It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Why did you buy him in the first place?

because i thought he was good value.

was much more impressed with dzeko and bony.

watched 180 mins of Giroud in last week and was less than impressed.

surely making transfers like this is exactly what the game is about?

would you keep him?

I have him and I'm keeping him.

Didn't see much of Arsenal in either game, but according to MOTD 'Arsenal looked better when he came on'.

I'd be fairly certain he'll start this weekend.

I think I'm guilty of that myself (dumping Mata)!!

because i thought he was good value.

was much more impressed with dzeko and bony.

watched 180 mins of Giroud in last week and was less than impressed.

surely making transfers like this is exactly what the game is about?

Giroud only played 29 minutes last Saturday.

Indeed. People spend ages planning picking their first team then decide it's not good enough after 1 game. It's ridiculous.

It's such a thin line. If Caulker had scored last week when he had it taken off the line and if Hull hadn't scored completely against the run of play he would have had 15 points and would be an FPL darling. Now he's being shipped out left right and centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

Tomorrow's certainly going to be interesting. Lots of rash decisions already being made. I sold Hendo for Siggy before his first price rise, but that was a necessity, I think. I'm hoping for big games for Costa and Mata this week. Depending on how Sterling does against City, I'll reconsider Mata either this weekend or next.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I played my wildcard after GW1 last year and it proved to be a huge advantage in terms of team value later in the season. The season before I took an 8 point hit after GW1. Both seasons I finished inside the top 10k in the world.

I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for making changes to their team after GW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lemlin wrote: »
    I played my wildcard after GW1 last year and it proved to be a huge advantage in terms of team value later in the season. The season before I took an 8 point hit after GW1. Both seasons I finished inside the top 10k in the world.

I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for making changes to their team after GW1.

This gets trotted out all the time.

How much of it actually related to the WC though?

Playing your WC made sense in prior years due to DGW's in first week.

I remember Carlcon, who never use to make transfers till Fri night, had his wild card for ages and never took hits having a hefty team value and ranking very very highly.

How much will someone actually make (that's spendable - so how many 0.2m increases) by playing their WC this week?

They might get rid of what 1, maybe 2 fallers for 0.1m?

They might get 1, maybe 2 0.2m rises out of players they don't want to keep anyway.

It's the other 36 & 37 weeks transfers being successful that create team value imho.

Because you obviously picked the wrong team at gw1.

Of course there is nothing wrong with making changes, that is completely natural. My problem is that in justifying these changes very good players and potential FPL gold players are being written off after 90 minutes of football. We are all football fans and we are aware of the very fine line that is between a 2 point haul and double figures.
    Siggurdsson played well last week and is now seen as essential, fair enough. He could easily have left the field with two points though, I'm only trying to point out the craziness of using one game as a judge. He left Ki with plenty to do for his assist and his goal was as a result of a miskick which fell into his path and was hard to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

would you keep him?

I'd say he's pretty much as nailed on as it gets to start away to Everton. Sanogo is not going to get a start against Everton away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Of course people should make transfers if they feel it's necessary we get 1 free transfer a week to make the best possible team. Giroud had a good fixture last week but not so good this week same with mata to a lesser extent. I wonder is there many people that didn't have siggy last week expressing the opinion that a transfer shouldn't be made this week. I had a decent start and luckily dont need to make a transfer but am thinking hazard or silva may be a better bet than mata this week . Looking just at this week hazard on paper is a better option than mata. Surely you have made a change after gw 1 in previous seasons yourself.

Because you obviously picked the wrong team at gw1.

In your initial point, you criticised people who changed their team. You said nothing about making allowances for people who had made obvious mistakes.

Your initial point for reference was:

Last season I had spent ages picking my first team. Alot more time than I spent this season. It wasn't right so I changed it after 1 GW. I don't think that is "ridiculous" at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Look at the FF league top teams at the end of the season. Many of them would have made very few changes and nearly always dont give points away.
    They dont do knee jerk reactions

kennyb3 wrote: »
    This gets trotted out all the time.

How much of it actually related to the WC though?

Playing your WC made sense in prior years due to DGW's in first week.

I remember Carlcon, who never use to make transfers till Fri night, had his wild card for ages and never took hits having a hefty team value and ranking very very highly.

How much will someone actually make (that's spendable - so how many 0.2m increases) by playing their WC this week?

They might get rid of what 1, maybe 2 fallers for 0.1m?

They might get 1, maybe 2 0.2m rises out of players they don't want to keep anyway.

It's the other 36 & 37 weeks transfers being successful that create team value imho.

It all related to needing the wildcard. I had 3 Chelsea but no Villa players so I hadn't planned on using the wildcard that early last season like others did.

I didn't use my wildcard last season to gain value. I used it because I'd made obvious errors and wanted to correct them e.g. not going with Coleman. Gaining value was just a side effect of using it early. I myself used to play like Carlcon and never looked at FISO until last year. Indeed, I finished in the top 500 three years ago not looking at price changes once.

I don't think anyone using the willcard this early would use it specifically to gain value. I think they would use it because they are unhappy with their team based on how teams performed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Look at the FF league top teams at the end of the season. Many of them would have made very few changes and nearly always dont give points away.
    They dont do knee jerk reactions

There isn't too many people taking points hits to be fair just people using up their one free transfer. I don't think I've ever not made a change after gw 1 myself.

Of course people should make transfers if they feel it's necessary we get 1 free transfer a week to make the best possible team. Giroud had a good fixture last week but not so good this week same with mata to a lesser extent. I wonder is there many people that didn't have siggy last week expressing the opinion that a transfer shouldn't be made this week. I had a decent start and luckily dont need to make a transfer but am thinking hazard or silva may be a better bet than mata this week . Looking just at this week hazard on paper is a better option than mata. Surely you have made a change after gw 1 in previous seasons yourself.

You'll have to show me where I said people should not make any changes in gameweek 1?

Obviously injuries and suspensions come into things.

My point is we've all spent hours and hours picking teams and now some people and to rip their teams to shreds because of 1 bad game.

Giroud was a very bad pick for me. Short of fitness and champions league qualifiers in between gameweeks and plus the fact he's not actually very good.

Even though we spend ages picking our GW1 team, doesn't mean it's 100% right.

It's all about a balance I think. It's fair enough to identify/accept that a player choice that you got wrong and rectify it with 1 transfer.

But on the other hand I think we should have enough faith in our overall strategy not to say, rip up your team by making 3 changes at an 8 point hit just to accommodate 1 player.

G1032 wrote: »
    I'd say he's pretty much as nailed on as it gets to start away to Everton. Sanogo is not going to get a start against Everton away.

I'd rate it 60/40 in favour of him starting with the cl qualifier in midweek.

Of course there is nothing wrong with making changes, that is completely natural. My problem is that in justifying these changes very good players and potential FPL gold players are being written off after 90 minutes of football. We are all football fans and we are aware of the very fine line that is between a 2 point haul and double figures.
    Siggurdsson played well last week and is now seen as essential, fair enough. He could easily have left the field with two points though, I'm only trying to point out the craziness of using one game as a judge. He left Ki with plenty to do for his assist and his goal was as a result of a miskick which fell into his path and was hard to miss.

I don't think anyone is writing people off after 90 minutes of football. I made a decision myself, and I'm not going to rehash all the reasons here again, but I made that decision on the basis that it can be reversed at the touch of a button and I may well be totally wrong about it. I'm sure plenty of others have done the same.

I also made it tactically to preserve my team value. My expectation is that Mata will eventually be back in my team, he may even be back in it next week.

In regard to Siggy, I think you are being unfair to people making the transfer. Yes, there are people who will knee jerk but there are also others who will consider his previous Swansea form and move him in based on it. I also believe he had a decent points haul based on the minutes he got for Spurs last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think a certain amount of clarity comes by the time GW1 is over. Certainly by GW2 and 3.

There's a few transfers I'd like to make but overall I'm happy enough with the players I have though for a few more weeks anyway. Siggy could well have had a flash in the pan opening GW but I know that if I was sure he'd be playing centrally he was a dead cert but I didn't and I also didn't want him sitting on my bench. I swapped him for Coutinho and in hindsight it makes so much more sense.

Overall I tried to pick players who were certain to start and weren't likely to be replaced by new signings which is why I'm happy to give them time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

jovetic to bony or bank ?
    what ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It all related to needing the wildcard. I had 3 Chelsea but no Villa players so I hadn't planned on using the wildcard that early last season like others did.

I didn't use my wildcard last season to gain value. I used it because I'd made obvious errors and wanted to correct them e.g. not going with Coleman. Gaining value was just a side effect of using it early. I myself used to play like Carlcon and never looked at FISO until last year. Indeed, I finished in the top 500 three years ago not looking at price changes once.

I don't think anyone using the willcard this early would use it specifically to gain value. I think they would use it because they are unhappy with their team based on how teams performed.

I just think it's very hard to say you got it 'wrong' after 90 mins though. It's very kneejerky imho.

For example, last year I used it week 2 (as planned due to DGW) - got RVP after week 1 double which didn't really work out at all after. People were clamouring for united players after.

Also Arsenal lost 3-1 at home, which was hardly a reflection of what was to come.

Many transferred in Soldado after his peno???

And of course I remember getting caught up in the new baps for defenders fiasco and going too heavy at the back as a result and spent weeks sorting that out!

I guess it does depend on how risky your GW1 team is though - I stayed away from Bavies, Jovetic, Luis etc for exactly this reason. That was asking for an early WC imho.

The game seems to flip flop over the forst 3/4 weeks and then settles down - If I used a WC week 1, i'd need another for week 2 & 3.

I don't think anyone is writing people off after 90 minutes of football. I made a decision myself, and I'm not going to rehash all the reasons here again, but I made that decision on the basis that it can be reversed at the touch of a button and I may well be totally wrong about it. I'm sure plenty of others have done the same.

I also made it tactically to preserve my team value. My expectation is that Mata will eventually be back in my team, he may even be back in it next week.

In regard to Siggy, I think you are being unfair to people making the transfer. Yes, there are people who will knee jerk but there are also others who will consider his previous Swansea form and move him in based on it. I also believe he had a decent points haul based on the minutes he got for Spurs last season.

I'm not criticising anybody who brings Siggy in, it seems like a good move. I'm certainly not singleing you out, you have proven yourself to be a very good player. On forums like these people will always go for and discuss the flavour of the month, right now it's him. If I had known he'd play in the hole I would definitely have had him in my team, perhaps I need to pay more attention:o. As things stand he won't be in my team this week either as for some reason I'm happy with Eriksen and Arnie and will need to reshuffle a bit to get him in at a four point hit, I'm hoping it's the right decision. If Siggy has a two pointer this week he will probably go to 6.2 and no higher for the moment.
    It seems to me that two of my players (Caulker and Mata) have been somewhat written off on here though and I can't really see the evidence bar the two points next to their names which could easily have been more with a bit of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I just think it's very hard to say you got it 'wrong' after 90 mins though. It's very kneejerky imho.

For example, last year I used it week 2 (as planned due to DGW) - got RVP after week 1 double which didn't really work out at all after. People were clamouring for united players after.

Also Arsenal lost 3-1 at home, which was hardly a reflection of what was to come.

Many transferred in Soldado after his peno???

And of course I remember getting caught up in the new baps for defenders fiasco and going too heavy at the back as a result and spent weeks sorting that out!

I guess it does depend on how risky your GW1 team is though - I stayed away from Bavies, Jovetic, Luis etc for exactly this reason. That was asking for an early WC imho.

The game seems to flip flop over the forst 3/4 weeks and then settles down - If I used a WC week 1, i'd need another for week 2 & 3.

I have seen few teams where wildcard is a must at this moment. If you get it wrong in GW1 you have no choice.

Let everyone play their game as they want. The more people use it now, the better for the rest of us. Especially now when prices seem to be more stable than last year.

Did DeGea to Lloris BTW. Not something I planned, but can't rely on 3 Utd players now, especially when so many people transferred Spurs defender.

Advertisement