Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

identify this pant/flower/weed

• 16-08-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've noticed this vine like thing growing out of the hedge along the ground and have no idea what it is. It grows at a very fast rate, pretty sure it's growing inches a day.

Any ideas what it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It's Bindweed - very fast growing and wraps itself around any plant, fence etc that it can find. Weedkiller is the best way to get rid of it - if you pull it out it will regrow from even the smallest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

lottpaul wrote: »
    It's Bindweed - very fast growing and wraps itself around any plant, fence etc that it can find. Weedkiller is the best way to get rid of it - if you pull it out it will regrow from even the smallest part.

Brilliant, thanks for ID. I'll get the weed killer out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You will need a systemic weedkiller - one that kills the roots, as it is a very persistent weed. Gather up some long strands of bindweed, put them away from other plants - you could put the whole bundle in a bucket, and sluice with weedkiller, then wait. Don't pull it up for a couple of weeks till you can see it is definitely dying, you need to give it chance to get to the roots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks for the advice. Do I need to pull the root up after I've applied that method? Will it just die away and decompose into the soil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hopefully it will die off, but if there are any live bits they will sprout again, so you will probably have to do another spray the next year. I managed to get bindweed under control in the garden, but I see this year (when the garden has been a bit neglected) it is covered in bindweed again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement