Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patents, Copywrite and Trademarks

Options
  • 16-08-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi

I'm after finding out that a website in America has the same name as my website.

The name is very generic.

Is there anything I need to worry about as it looks as if their .com has been around a lot longer than my .ie domain name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

...but you'd have know this when you went to register the .ie, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

lots of examples of this out there with the same name using different domain extensions. The issue here is about trade marks, registered or not. Do they have their name trade marked?, it is registered?, and if so in the EU as a community mark?. Were they active in the EU market when you registered your domain name? Have they contacted you?
    Do as much research as possible, and get answers... Then you can get some proper answers and seek professional advice if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I suggest you contact http://www.trademarkdirect.co.uk/. They are extremely helpful and very professional. We have used them in the past and cant recommend them highly enough. They cover outside the UK. Brilliant company and no smoke and mirrors!

Advertisement