Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Chance student

Options
  • 16-08-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Helloooooooo..
    I was just wondering does anybody have any information on second chance students. I did one year of Arts in NUIG a year ago but I plan to go back in a few years to study earth and ocean sciences or Science. Do points count when u are over 23? I have enough points for the courses now but in 4 years time who knows what the points will be like. Any info on second chance students and mature students is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Raychie wrote: »
    Helloooooooo..
    I was just wondering does anybody have any information on second chance students. I did one year of Arts in NUIG a year ago but I plan to go back in a few years to study earth and ocean sciences or Science. Do points count when u are over 23? I have enough points for the courses now but in 4 years time who knows what the points will be like. Any info on second chance students and mature students is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
    They will be taken into account but Mature students get assessed by other means. You will have full fee's for first year of whatever course you decide to do

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

They will be taken into account but Mature students get assessed by other means. You will have full fee's for first year of whatever course you decide to do

This is only true if not availing of the legislated second chance student option.

As a second chance student (assuming 5 years have passed since leaving the last course), all criteria are reset as if the person was entering 3rd level for the first time. As such, all fees will be paid for the duration of the course.

You're able to apply through CAO as normal and use your points, or you can make a direct mature student application in which points are not the primary means of assessment.
    The points option is easier (no personal statements/interviews), but only if you're sure you'll have enough, bearing in mind that some courses have jumped significantly in points in recent years.

Advertisement