Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip in Computer Science - Maths Question

Options
  • 16-08-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I'm going to be starting a higher diploma in Computer Science next month, and I'm pretty worried about the maths end of things. I've never been too great at maths, managed a C in Higher in my Junior and a B in ordinary in my Leaving. I'm very aware of the disadvantage this is going to put me at, considering the amount of stuff I'm going to have to cover over the next year.

I still have a few weeks left with nothing to do and I'd like to get a head start on the maths end of things so I don't end up completely crushed by the workload. I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction. What exactly am I going to be dealing with? Is there any particular book I could purchase ahead of time? And can anyone who did ordinary maths in the leaving and studied computer science at DIT share their experience?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AlTahir

I too would like to know how hard is it with ordinary maths, I got a B3, I enjoy maths, but I'm not that good at it, is there any tuitions offered or some help for people who go in with ordinary? I think the fact that the minimum requirement is a C3 might mean that they are confident that people who did ordinary level have the ability to do this course, or else they wouldn't have put it at a C3.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Discrete math, graph/queueing theory etc. That is what you are dealing with. Obviously certain elements of calculus are involved but nothing you shouldn't manage.

Advertisement