Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want my first bike

• 16-08-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all, im 34 years old and want to get my first bike but this new licensing thing is confusing the **** out of me, so what i would like to know is what licence do i apply for and what power bike i can have first time like does it have to be 25kw or under.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91688318&postcount=758

There are a number of bike catagories. See above post with links to specific details.

Also, - http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Category 'A' Learner Permit.

After you complete your IBT training you can ride any bike you can get insured on. (no restrictions).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Category 'A' Learner Permit.

After you complete your IBT training you can ride any bike you can get insured on. (no restrictions).

Thanks roadcraft thats kinda what i wanted to hear, but i was thinking of starting off on something small like a ninja 250 or 300 (if i could get one) and i know i cant do my test on something that small so what cc bike would i have to get for the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

swift220 wrote: »
    Thanks roadcraft thats kinda what i wanted to hear, but i was thinking of starting off on something small like a ninja 250 or 300 (if i could get one) and i know i cant do my test on something that small so what cc bike would i have to get for the test

For category 'A' test:

Min 595cc, 50kw, 175kgs

Roadcraft wrote: »
    For category 'A' test:

Min 595cc, 50kw, 175kgs

Well thats clears it up for me, like i could always just keep the ninja 250 for a year or so
    and then get a 600 before the test or just do it on an instructors bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

Hi, I'm not certain but from what I've heard, insurance on Ninjas is pretty high, they're in a higher class than some more powerful bikes so make sure to check the insurance before you buy.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

chiplad wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not certain but from what I've heard, insurance on Ninjas is pretty high, they're in a higher class than some more powerful bikes so make sure to check the insurance before you buy.

In the UK, it's in insurance group 9/17 so it shouldn't be a problem.

chiplad wrote: »

I already got a quote from liberty for 4 hundred and something cant remember the exact price
    and that was third party, so i think if i had the ibt done it would probably be cheaper again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I already got a quote from liberty for 4 hundred and something cant remember the exact price
    and that was third party, so i think if i had the ibt done it would probably be cheaper again

IBT is compulsory and the quote they give you takes that you already have that as you are otherwise not allowed to be on the public roads!

They are probably the only ones that would insure you at the start.

Thanks for the comments lads im alot clearer on the subject now

• Advertisement
Advertisement