Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SamKnows Results

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just emailed them the other day to see were they still looking for people. Just got the 240mb package from UPC, wanted to see how it's behaving..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

the gaming myth with samknows is absolute bull, i game nearly every day and get pings of 8-14ms to uk servers no matter how many people are using my connection

Vodafone 50/15

336942.PNG
    336943.PNG
    336944.PNG
    336945.PNG
    336946.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

336947.PNG
    336949.PNG
    336950.PNG
    336952.PNG
    336953.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

You have a solid connection which h makes a big difference,in saying that I haven't noticed any difference with my gaming either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Another report card, more excellent results. Consistent 8ms latency, assume the test node must be right on UPCs edge routers, still impressive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd love to get a samknows box, I've applied twice online, but I haven't gotten as much as an email reply :( Are they still handing them out?

Perhaps they already have enough people on UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

bk wrote: »
    I'd love to get a samknows box, I've applied twice online, but I haven't gotten as much as an email reply :( Are they still handing them out?

Perhaps they already have enough people on UPC.

With Vodafone and just got an email today from Samknows asking to take part in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have a Sambox sitting in my spare room for over a year now.

REALLY should get it hooked up. Especially after moving to the 240mb package want to see how its behaving.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ro23 wrote: »
    With Vodafone and just got an email today from Samknows asking to take part in it.

Yup, I literally, got the email an hour after posting this :D

• Advertisement

So I've gotten my samknows box, but I think I've messed up the initial setup of it!

I'm on UPC, with the UPC modem bridged to an Archer C7.

I assume that the samknows box should be connected to the Archer C7 and then ethernet devices connected to the samknows?

Unfortunately I initially connected the samknows directly to the UPC box and it worked initially. Once I realised my mistake (within 30 minutes), I moved the samknows box behind the C7. But now it doesn't seem to be reporting any readings.

Am I doing this correctly? Is there a way to reset the samknows box?

Should the setup, when bridged, look like:

UPC mobem -> Archer C7 -> Samknows -> Ethernet devices or should it be:
    UPC modem -> Samknows -> Archer C7 -> Ethernet devices

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

bk wrote: »
    So I've gotten my samknows box, but I think I've messed up the initial setup of it!

I'm on UPC, with the UPC modem bridged to an Archer C7.

I assume that the samknows box should be connected to the Archer C7 and then ethernet devices connected to the samknows?

Unfortunately I initially connected the samknows directly to the UPC box and it worked initially. Once I realised my mistake (within 30 minutes), I moved the samknows box behind the C7. But now it doesn't seem to be reporting any readings.

Am I doing this correctly? Is there a way to reset the samknows box?

Should the setup, when bridged, look like:

UPC mobem -> Archer C7 -> Samknows -> Ethernet devices or should it be:
    UPC modem -> Samknows -> Archer C7 -> Ethernet devices

cheers

I think it's UPC/Sam/archer it takes a couple if hours before readings are done.
    You will get an email from samknows to say it is connected and working

Doing it correctly it should be WhiteBox within the LAN:
    UPC Modem - Archer - WhiteBox

Doing it the tinfoil hat way (as I do):
    UPC Modem |- Archer
    ..................|- WhiteBox

They both then get a WAN IP and operate their own LANs. Degrades tests a little but I like my privacy, even if they are associated with RIPE.

If the WhiteBox gets a globe light (WAN normally on the N600) then its talking to home base and nothing to worry about.

naughto wrote: »
    I think it's UPC/Sam/archer it takes a couple if hours before readings are done.
    You will get an email from samknows to say it is connected and working

That is the thing, I got the email after connecting it to the UPC modem, but then moved it and it isn't working anymore.

Yes, I guess the correct setup should be UPC/Sam/Archer, I'll try that later, cheers.

Thanks ED E, I thought you might get back to me on this ;)

The way I found that got it working is:

UPC Modem -> Sam Knows -> Archer C7 -> Ethernet devices

But as you say, I'm a little concerned about privacy. Your way works too and is better for privacy, but then wouldn't do such a good job with actual tests.

You actually have it slightly off what it should be. Samnknows want it Modem - Router - Whitebox - Ethernet Devices. So the samknows is your "switch". It should connect fine in this config, if it doesn't check UPnP is on on the archer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Question:

Does having your Ethernet connections into your router as opposed to through the Samknows box screw up the test much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's a pretty easy hack to turn this Tp Link wdr3600 back into a normal router by flashing DD-WRT. I did mine a few weeks ago and have been using it as a 5ghz AP only (my Mikrotik is much more powerful as a router and has better 2.4ghz radio)

https://gist.github.com/cuonic/7ee4fdeeb2b0706d3c1d

Shane732 wrote: »
    Question:

Does having your Ethernet connections into your router as opposed to through the Samknows box screw up the test much?

It won't detect useage from them. So if they're very light network devices not much, but if you're pulling down large downloads on em then it'll distort the test a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

How long does it take Samknows to contact you after you signup , I did signup over 2 weeks ago and when enquires about it , I was told I'm on a waiting list if I qualify !.

How long does it take Samknows to contact you after you signup , I did signup over 2 weeks ago and when enquired about it , I was told I'm on a waiting list if I qualify !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

kamin99 wrote: »
    How long does it take Samknows to contact you after you signup , I did signup over 2 weeks ago and when enquires about it , I was told I'm on a waiting list if I qualify !.

When I registered....it took quite some time (months) to finalise!

Hibrasil wrote: »
    When I registered....it took quite some time (months) to finalise!

Oh Dear, But at least there is till some hope I can get it
    thanks for replying

Advertisement