Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy fresh roasted coffee beans?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all

I am starting a pop up type shop and one of the things of would like to sell is nicely packaged good quality coffee. I dont have facility/knowledge to roast the beans myself although I will be able to grind them.
    So basically I want do buy roasted beans soon after roasting and on a larger scale than normal personal use.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Talk to McCabes or 3FE

• Registered Users Posts: 9 talbobai

Thanks! Looks good

Although would I be allowed to rebrand the packaging if I use McCabes beans for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

talbobai wrote: »
    Thanks! Looks good

Although would I be allowed to rebrand the packaging if I use McCabes beans for example?

Probably best to ask them. They might be able to if there's enough orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

davenportcoffee.com in Enfield do wholesale coffee
    and it is very tasty coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Not sure that grinding and packaging only represents a decent margin opportunity. You do need to understand that coffee needs oxygen barrier packaging to prevent it going off quickly through oxidisation. The packs need to be hermetically sealed and also have a bag valve system to allow natural outgassing to escape!! This will give you an idea http://magazine.coffeetalk.com/october12-packaging-freshness/
    None of it is in any way massively complex, once you actually understand the process. The art is in the bean mix selection and the roasting. The real added value is in marketing at a premium price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You will not make a living wage on that model. Input costs too high, no economies of scale, not product differentiator, just a me-too product idea. The beans from Aldi are more than acceptable and even Tesco's Lavazza at about €15 a Kg are v. good. You would probably make more money from selling cups of coffee side-by-side from the counter.
    Supermarkets have bakeries inside the front doors to entice people in. You could do the same with roasting coffee. Your coffee would be fresh, special and unique.
    PS On your CFA, don't waste money on it if you start your pop-up, the CFA will take all your free time and more; it is becoming increasingly difficult to get through as more and more enter and only the top 25% get through.

Advertisement