Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I will never buy a Renault...

They sell Decia's here under the Renault badge & it gets under my skin... Piece of **** car makes the badge a piece of ****...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

That. Padma will have to start building his own cars soon enough.

Without people choosing reliable known makes and brands thered be no such thing as reliability..its a buyers market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Surely there has to more to whether or not you like a car than reliability...?

Unfortunately there tends to be an inverse relationship between reliability and innovation/complexity in new cars. If car makers had to make truly reliable cars to sell them, then cars would all be insufferably dull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Opel, Audi and Renault. Don't like the shape of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

BMW , Audi and VW all buckets of shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Bang_Bang wrote: »

Or rather buckets of very expensive over priced shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Anjobe wrote: »
    Surely there has to more to whether or not you like a car than reliability...?

Unfortunately there tends to be an inverse relationship between reliability and innovation/complexity in new cars. If car makers had to make truly reliable cars to sell them, then cars would all be insufferably dull.
    I must respectfully disagree.
    Say we got the lads from toyota and honda and put them in the alfa factory. Dont change the bodywork (maybe a zinc dip....) dont change the suspension geometry but do change how the suspension is connected to the car. Change stupid little things that are invisible to the end user that break on alfas, like a handbrake lever i had to weld for a lad once. There was a small slot machined in it and the lever cracked there. A toyota handbrake lever would not have done that. "But a toyota handbrake lever looks crap" i hear you say. Then keep the plastic off the alfa lever and make it fit the toyota lever.
    If some clip or other is known to break, change it for one that doesn't. Keep at this until you have an alfa that never breaks down but looks and feels like an alfa should.
    Look at all the 90's hondas. Were they known for dodgy electrics? Were they fcuk!! How could they get the electrics so right when renault today barely have it sorted?
    What fails in renault etc. electrics components anyway? You'd think they never did this before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

shedweller wrote: »
    Say we got the lads from toyota and honda and put them in the alfa factory.

Totally agree. look what happened at Jaguar when Ford went in there - suddenly new Jags would start on the first turn reliably, instead of needing the dealer to come and take them away a few times a year - just by putting them together properly out of properly tested components.

Of course, the reverse is true. Just as Alfa could make a car as well screwed together as a Toyota, Toyota know cars, and could make an Avensis that looks as good as an Alfa, is as nice to sit in as an Audi and drives as well as a Ford.

The fact that they don't, that we all know in advance that the next Avensis will be boring to drive, look ugly and have an interior made from recycled Coke bottles and cans means they are doing that on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Say we got the lads from toyota and honda and put them in the alfa factory. Dont change the bodywork (maybe a zinc dip....) dont change the suspension geometry but do change how the suspension is connected to the car. Change stupid little things that are invisible to the end user that break on alfas, like a handbrake lever i had to weld for a lad once. There was a small slot machined in it and the lever cracked there. A toyota handbrake lever would not have done that. "But a toyota handbrake lever looks crap" i hear you say. Then keep the plastic off the alfa lever and make it fit the toyota lever.
    If some clip or other is known to break, change it for one that doesn't. Keep at this until you have an alfa that never breaks down but looks and feels like an alfa should.
    Look at all the 90's hondas. Were they known for dodgy electrics? Were they fcuk!! How could they get the electrics so right when renault today barely have it sorted?
    What fails in renault etc. electrics components anyway? You'd think they never did this before!
    There's no doubting that what you say in general in that post is true. The build quality in Italy and France is not as good as in Japan, no matter what folk say.
    However, my point is that if you can pick up a face-lift 156 with a nice 2.5 V6 engine for a third of the price of a high mileage similar year 1.6 Avensis, and you know that the face-lift 156 had most problems sorted and there are only a handful of things to look for or replace early as preventative maintenance, then you end up with a cheaper car that puts a smile on your face.
    But that's only any good to some people. Others just want the car to function as a car for as little outlay as possible. Those people shouldn't buy Alfa's. And they don't, which is why used ones are so cheap.
    Knowing the dogs and knowing the hidden gems within brands with poor reputations can pay dividends.
    Also, some Alfa's (sticking with Alfa for consistency's sake!) are rather worse than others from a build quality point of view, but the issue petrol head folk on here take with others coming on here is that there are claims "Don't even think about buying an Alfa" rather than actually advising based on facts rather than worst case scenario echos from yesteryear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    There's no doubting that what you say in general in that post is true. The build quality in Italy and France is not as good as in Japan, no matter what folk say.
    However, my point is that if you can pick up a face-lift 156 with a nice 2.5 V6 engine for a third of the price of a high mileage similar year 1.6 Avensis, and you know that the face-lift 156 had most problems sorted and there are only a handful of things to look for or replace early as preventative maintenance, then you end up with a cheaper car that puts a smile on your face.
    But that's only any good to some people. Others just want the car to function as a car for as little outlay as possible. Those people shouldn't buy Alfa's. And they don't, which is why used ones are so cheap.
    Knowing the dogs and knowing the hidden gems within brands with poor reputations can pay dividends.
    Also, some Alfa's (sticking with Alfa for consistency's sake!) are rather worse than others from a build quality point of view, but the issue petrol head folk on here take with others coming on here is that there are claims "Don't even think about buying an Alfa" rather than actually advising based on facts rather than worst case scenario echos from yesteryear.

Good luck finding a facelifted 156 v6. The reason being Alfa uk never ordered any.
    Extremely rare cars to find in facelift form. There is one that I know off in dublin, it's in ti spec as well.
    Speaking of Alfa 156's most of the 1998 ones that came with the v6 were company cars! Imagine being the lucky sod getting one of those in 98!!!

• Advertisement

I was the DIL of a man who bought a brand new 166 (custom this, custom that) in 1998.

Export wrote: »
    I was the DIL of a man who bought a brand new 166 (custom this, custom that) in 1998.

Not at all, there is nothing as nice as a new motor, and if people didn't buy new ones, where would the rest of us get the used ones ?

Export wrote: »

I refused to drive in it as the speed of it frightened me. Or moreso how he drove it! Think Pacino in the Ferrari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I don't think I'd really eliminate any manufacturer/brand totally. There's plenty I'd be more sceptical of but if they produced a particular model I liked that was also reliable and properly priced I'd still buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Renault,peugeot citroen Daewoo (not actually in that order ) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'll drive anything that does the job nicely, I'm not fussed there.

The only manufacturer I'd avoid out of principal is anything from GM (General Motors), not because of quality but because the only reason they're still around is a hefty bailout from the US taxpayer a few years back. Practically in Ireland that means not buying either Opel or Chevrolet. Am I missing anything?

I guess I'd also have to include PSA in that too, which puts me in a bit of a pickle, because I'd really love the new 208 GTI. :p

Renault,peugeot citroen Daewoo (not actually in that order ) :(

I believe from what I hear the Citroen C5 1.6 is a good car same engine as focus 1.6?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about Nissan Almera 2005 and are there any reasons to steer clear of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

darrenking wrote: »
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about Nissan Almera 2005 and are there any reasons to steer clear of them

Yes, they are hideous! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I point blank refuse to even consider buying any Bugatti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Drive one and then drive some of its competitors like the corolla, focus, civic and you will see how terrible the almera really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Rust can be an issue, especially the front crossmember.
    Timing chain has been known to stretch on some, look for unsteady rev needle of jingling noise when starting from cold.
    Gear linkage can stetch, making the gear stick feel a bit loose.

They certainly won't set your pulse racing, not the most economical (although that would depend on how you drive it), saying that, I have a 2004 with 160k miles and the wife has a 2001 with 185k miles and all I've had to spend on both is some oil and filters.
    They tend to go much cheaper than a comparable Focus or Corolla, so if you're getting a good deal and it checks out it may be worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I point blank refuse to even consider buying any Bugatti.

Lol, the Veyron is one of the few VAG products I would consider, along with the Sestro Elemento of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

JC01 wrote: »
    I don't think that's why there's so much French-hate on here. This forum has mostly car-people on it and I'd say like myself a lot of car people hate the soulless plastic econoboxes that the French manufacturers pump out.

I'd say there's about ten proper car enthusiasts on boards.ie. They are most likely active on backroads which is actually a motoring enthusiasts forum.

Spending a lot of money on a car people aspire to because of the badge and the stigma doesn't make a car enthusiast.

I'd call someone buying a someone buying 1991 Nissan PAO more of a car enthusiast than someone buying a new BMW 520d with all the bells and whistles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Craft beer Hipsters, brilliant!!! Car hipsters, man buy an alfa, rover or fiat punto early 00's, there cool, because noone else wants them and they have gammy expensive issues.

Patww79 wrote: »
    What if said enthusiast simply likes the BMW more than the Nissan? Or are we getting into the whole craft beer hipster thing with cars now too?

Maybe he/she can't afford the 520d and if he/she could would get a v70R!

Don't you just hate when a mechanic tells you 'oh, if your car of the year dot has an issue, then all cars of the year dot will have the same issue, so you won't find this part' and then you go to a breakers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Say we got the lads from toyota and honda and put them in the alfa factory. Dont change the bodywork (maybe a zinc dip....)

They have been galvanized since the '90s.
    dont change the suspension geometry but do change how the suspension is connected to the car.

And you've most likely changed the character, handling and responsiveness of the car.
    Change stupid little things that are invisible to the end user that break on alfas, like a handbrake lever i had to weld for a lad once. There was a small slot machined in it and the lever cracked there. A toyota handbrake lever would not have done that. "But a toyota handbrake lever looks crap" i hear you say. Then keep the plastic off the alfa lever and make it fit the toyota lever.

Partly agree on this; Maybe there is a bit of an "how hard can it be?" attitude, but to quote a fairly famous ad bits can be crucial...to the perceived quality of a car. Modifying the design / mechanics of an interior mirror, gear lever etc. won't profoundly alter the feeling of a car, but can make great strides for the brand/car's reputation when that part doesn't break.

That said, I never saw anybody breaking a handbrake lever...did the owner greet you with "me Hulk want car fix!"? :D

Could not disagree, this is not limited to Alfa Romeo however (can think of BMW turbos/timing chains, for example, but there are plenty of other examples).

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    They have been galvanized since the '90s.
    Alfa is it? They must of forgot to do the floors and sills then as they rot on them.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Alfa is it? They must of forgot to do the floors and sills then as they rot on them.

My 1996 gtv thats been kept outside for at least the last 5 years, has no rust anywhere on it. :rolleyes:

What are you doing with them? I'v had three and no Ricky rust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Thats a bold statement. Have you evidence to support all models suffered from rust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would never dismiss an entire brand, that's just silly. Except ssanyong, and only because they are all so ugly.

John_Rambo wrote: »

I don't think he's ever had any...when he posts a pic with vlc and birds custard Ill retract this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

lol, so true

What a bull**** statement.
    This guy is an enthusiast and no he doesn't drive a brand new 520d. This guy gets what a car is about and that aint just a way of getting from a to b, sadly which most buyers of 520d's see they're cars as...
    Most petrol heads get what this guy is on about. Normal people don't

Seen plenty of 156's and 159's with rust on the floor pans and some with rust in the sills as well. It's strange because the rest of the underbody seems to be well protected on them.

Anyway maybe this doesn't effect all alfa models but if the above Alfas were galvanised you'd think they'd of done the floors as well.

• Advertisement

Oh no....a grammar nazi:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Cars I've owned...
    1999 Punto S
    1998 EJ9 Civic
    1992 Starlet GT turbo
    1998 Corolla G6
    1999 EK4 Civic Jordan
    2008 B8 A4

Cars I wouldn't own...
    Anything relating to PSA unless very high powered.

You Tube BMW M5

What a great video, restores my faith in real motoring again. Thanks for posting it.

Stop being such a dickhead

I don't think he's ever had any...when he posts a pic with vlc and birds custard Ill retract this post

What has owning one got to do with anything I said above? You don't have to own one to know of/ or have experience with a cars various faults.

You don't have to take my word for it though, I'm sure if you look it up you will see that its a widespread problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Bang_Bang wrote: »

again blanket statement - how is an m5 a "bucket of shíte"

you obviously don't know what you're talking about. what do you drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

I'd say there's about ten proper car enthusiasts on boards.ie. They are most likely active on backroads which is actually a motoring enthusiasts forum.

Spending a lot of money on a car people aspire to because of the badge and the stigma doesn't make a car enthusiast.

I'd call someone buying a someone buying 1991 Nissan PAO more of a car enthusiast than someone buying a new BMW 520d with all the bells and whistles.

I'd say slightly more than 10, not a lot more but a few anyways.

And to a point I'd agree with you, but what of the person that goes out and buys a 530d/535d? The f10 is a brilliant car but only a "car-person" could go out and say fook the 200e tax and 50 mpg I'm gonna get the proper version with a decent engine. Just because that person is successful enough to actually buy the car doesn't mean he isn't an enthusiast

again blanket statement - how is an m5 a "bucket of shíte"

you obviously don't know what you're talking about. what do you drive?

Ok bit of a blanket statement.M3/5 and Quattro and the VAG 1.9 TDI are good cars , but the trouble I've had with petrol A4, A6, BMW 318. I could go on and on, but I will never buy another German car made after 2000. Buckets of shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

not wishing to get too involved (i'm just here for the banter :D) but dgt is this, or is this not, your hand :P

Image1201.jpg
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89568272&postcount=2

Advertisement