Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I was waiting for someone to use my pictures :D

Those were seaside cars (both 156's and the 166) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

dgt wrote: »

Ah i couldn't resist :pac:

i live around 100 meters from the beach... never really had any rust issues, yet to have a seaside car myself.

personally i think a lot of it is down to maintenance. i mean if you gave two brand new 156's in the year 2000, one to MM or Vectra and one to a cattle farmer or site foreman... i think we know which one would have rust issues in a decades time.

i've seen some exceptionally rusty mk1 avensis for example which wouldn't be known for anything of the sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

dgt wrote: »

The ones I seen weren't seaside cars or uk imports either for that matter :)

Anyway you don't see any other brand of car with rust on the floors these days, even ones from the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Ford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

This post has been deleted.

Hey! I bought a secondhand (cause that's the only way they come) Nissan Pao, and not because I'm 'less well off', but because that's the car I wanted at the time. Would I buy a new BMW 520D with all the whistles and bells? Probably not - but that's not to say it's solely down to affordability - I'd have a long list of preferences to that choice - some cheaper, some dearer. Some of us just prefer older and more quirky stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭JC01

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    Ok bit of a blanket statement.M3/5 and Quattro and the VAG 1.9 TDI are good cars , but the trouble I've had with petrol A4, A6, BMW 318. I could go on and on, but I will never buy another German car made after 2000. Buckets of shíte.

I'm sorry but just because you bought crap for the sake of a fancy badge doesn't make all German cars sh1te. Only a clown buys a 4/cylinder BMW. There horrifically underpowered and renowned for being crap. BMWs are a 6-cylinder RWD drivers car, it's the simple essence of the brand, although I'm sure you havnt a clue about any of that as you obviously just wanted the badge so you went out and bought the cheapest one you could find.

The exact same point applies to your petrol Audis coz god knows they wernt RS models you had. Il hazard a guess and say 1.8 petrol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Seen plenty of 156's and 159's with rust on the floor pans and some with rust in the sills as well. It's strange because the rest of the underbody seems to be well protected on them.

Anyway maybe this doesn't effect all alfa models but if the above Alfas were galvanised you'd think they'd of done the floors as well.

As have I, but equally I've seen plenty of 156s that haven't been eaten by rust. The ones that have have either spent time in the uk, had bad crash damage or were parked beside the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. However I also have a 96 gtv and a 2002 156, neither of whom were ever garage queens with significant milage on both (touching 150k and 140k respectively).
    Neither have rust on them. To say that all alfas from that era rust on the floors and sills is wrong.
    Most that I've had a look at over the last year have been solid as they come.
    I've had 3 gtv's at one stage in March, none had rust on the floors or sills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Will not buy FIATS. My father and uncle let out ? from their jobs in that company. Not buying BMW, false prestige cars - furs coat and no pants :D

Ironic being a Lorenzo.:-):-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

i've seen some exceptionally rusty mk1 avensis for example which wouldn't be known for anything of the sort.
    Umm I think I can explain one of them... a blue one of 1998 vintage. It was my company car and got treated as such. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

JC01 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but just because you bought crap for the sake of a fancy badge doesn't make all German cars sh1te. Only a clown buys a 4/cylinder BMW. There horrifically underpowered and renowned for being crap. BMWs are a 6-cylinder RWD drivers car, it's the simple essence of the brand, although I'm sure you havnt a clue about any of that as you obviously just wanted the badge so you went out and bought the cheapest one you could find.

The exact same point applies to your petrol Audis coz god knows they wernt RS models you had. Il hazard a guess and say 1.8 petrol?

I'm not a petrol head, so I bought Audi and BMW because they are extremely comfortable to drive, and I thought safe family car. I had A4 1.8, A6 2.0 and I should have brought an ATM with me everywhere, ignition coils blowing all the time, same with lightbulbs, drinking a litre if oil every month, all quite normal according to the Audi forums at the time.

Now drive Honda accord 2.2 deisal 2011 and I've only ever serviced it. Nothing more. I still think the Audi is far more comfortable than the Honda though.

• Advertisement

As have I, but equally I've seen plenty of 156s that haven't been eaten by rust. The ones that have have either spent time in the uk, had bad crash damage or were parked beside the beautiful Atlantic Ocean. However I also have a 96 gtv and a 2002 156, neither of whom were ever garage queens with significant milage on both (touching 150k and 140k respectively).
    Neither have rust on them. To say that all alfas from that era rust on the floors and sills is wrong.
    Most that I've had a look at over the last year have been solid as they come.
    I've had 3 gtv's at one stage in March, none had rust on the floors or sills

Not saying that all are rusty, just arguing the point that not all are "galvanised", or at least not properly anyway. I should of made that clearer at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

i live around 100 meters from the beach... never really had any rust issues, yet to have a seaside car myself.

personally i think a lot of it is down to maintenance. i mean if you gave two brand new 156's in the year 2000, one to MM or Vectra and one to a cattle farmer or site foreman... i think we know which one would have rust issues in a decades time.

I know I was just wondering not if but when someone would post my pics :D

The 3 Alfas came from the west, 2 of which were lying up years so no surprises the floor was held by the underseal. The 166 was very surprising as they generally crumble but there's always a first

I think you're spot on with the new cars, I know of another 98 156 V6 that was in showroom condition when I test drove it in November. Cleanest and probably the earliest 156 I've driven. I've seen (and worked on) facelifted models almost crumble when you even look at them, so it does depend on who looked after them from day 1
    The ones I seen weren't seaside cars or uk imports either for that matter :)

Anyway you don't see any other brand of car with rust on the floors these days, even ones from the coast.

I used to have a Vectra that was rotten to the core with rust. Not just the floors, but the boot was almost gone. Same with the absolutely awful Corsa B I was lumbered with. I also used to have a Ka, it too was destroyed in tinworm. I had 2 Fiestas, one had rotten sills, the other had rotten floors, so I made a good one from the 2 of them. My Merc has scabs of rust here and there but nothing major, unlike other ones I've seen, even relatively new ones. A few modern BMW's suffer rusty floors too (I used to have a 318is that was fairly scabby underneath for example)

There's more cars to add to the list of rotten floors and I'm sure if I sat down to think I'd have more for you ;)

Actually they are, but more so on earlier cars from 98-00, the roof panel rots, many suffer from this. The facelifted cars seem to be a lot better in this regard however.

I'm not a petrol head, so I bought Audi and BMW because they are extremely comfortable to drive, and I thought safe family car. I had A4 1.8, A6 2.0 and I should have brought an ATM with me everywhere, ignition coils blowing all the time, same with lightbulbs, drinking a litre if oil every month, all quite normal according to the Audi forums at the time.

Now drive Honda accord 2.2 deisal 2011 and I've only ever serviced it. Nothing more. I still think the Audi is far more comfortable than the Honda though.

So then why come on here to announce to the world that ALL German cars are buckets if sh1te? That's exactly the kinda small minded pub talk crap that ya get all over this country.

On a side note you mentioned a list of components that were NOT made by Audi. And the oil consumption? Well either you had a leak, bad rings or valve stems. All things that could of been diagnosed by a a "petrol head" before you bought the car.

If anyone on here recognises my user-name from some other threads they'll think I'm drunk defending an Audi :D I just despise this I-bought-a-crap-car-therefore-all-cars-are-crap thinking

If anyone on here recognises my user-name from some other threads they'll think I'm drunk defending an Audi :D I just despise this I-bought-a-crap-car-therefore-all-cars-are-crap thinking

But I just wanted a car to drive :( I didn't want to beg the car not to practically die every month.

So I went Japanese, my view of German cars will not change, I won't buy another one.:)

But I just wanted a car to drive :( I didn't want to beg the car not to practically die every month.

So I went Japanese, my view of German cars will not change, I won't buy another one.:)

That's 100% understandable and I couldn't take issue with it. You declaring that there all ****e is what I took issue to because I'm sure there's other people not into cars who'll read a comment like that and take it as gospel.

Beleive it or not I'm a jap man at heart :D

That's 100% understandable and I couldn't take issue with it. You declaring that there all ****e is what I took issue to because I'm sure there's other people not into cars who'll read a comment like that and take it as gospel.

Beleive it or not I'm a jap man at heart :D
    I am now too, that's why I have 2, the missus drives a HRV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

But I just wanted a car to drive :(

I bought an Alfa 155 new, and ran it for 6 years, never missed a beat, cost nothing but servicing.

Proves nothing at all - just one car, it's an anecdote, not data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My Focus CMax is made in Germany and it is a cracking car. :)
    It's actually funny when people describe Opel as German, they are GM, so Ford is at least as German as they are.
    So if you want a reliable, affordable, good German car...buy a Ford!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I don't think there's a single brand that I'd simply refuse to own/buy, only things I would consider not owning is some of those dodgy Indian yokes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

fixed that for you

No. You're not getting it.

A big wallet doesn't make one a car enthusiast.

A real motor enthusiast doesn't buy a 520d unless he/she uses it as a daily and can afford to have something fun for the weekends.

A motor enthusiast would spend the money on something older or more unusual or quicker or better, certainly something nicer! Maybe a daily runner dreaded French Clio and a Caterham 7!

You buy a 520d because it's a prestige badge, it's respectable, it sends out a message of success, it's cheap to tax and they are fashionable with the sheep at the moment.

Oh... Forgot, mod car owners (boy racers to some) 100000% more car enthusiasts than any 520d, Audi a5... Etc owners.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    No. You're not getting it.

A big wallet doesn't make one a car enthusiast.

A real motor enthusiast doesn't buy a 520d unless he/she uses it as a daily and can afford to have something fun for the weekends.

A motor enthusiast would spend the money on something older or more unusual or quicker or better, certainly something nicer! Maybe a daily runner dreaded French Clio and a Caterham 7!

You buy a 520d because it's a prestige badge, it's respectable, it sends out a message of success, it's cheap to tax and they are fashionable with the sheep at the moment.

A 520d is still a very respectable car though, ignoring the badge. They are faster than the majority of cars around with 193hp stock I think now, an 8 speed Auto which is meant to be great and they handle pretty well for a car like that. I can't see why you would be excluded from being a petrolhead by buying a 520d.

A 520d is still a very respectable car though, ignoring the badge. They are faster than the majority of cars around with 193hp stock I think now, an 8 speed Auto which is meant to be great and they handle pretty well for a car like that. I can't see why you would be excluded from being a petrolhead by buying a 520d.

Respectable. You're dead right and you make excellent points. The 520d is an amazing piece of engineering. They umph they squeezed out of such a small engine is a credit to them. They took the Euro limitations and invented a reasonably quick luxurious car with lots of room, comfort and space.

I just wouldn't consider it a car enthusiasts car. Two people I know that have them had to be told they were rear wheel drive cars. Post purchase.

John_Rambo wrote: »

I just wouldn't consider it a car enthusiasts car. Two people I know that have them had to be told they were rear wheel drive cars. Post purchase.

They didn't go around wet roundabouts fast enough :pac:

They didn't go around wet roundabouts fast enough :pac:

Ha! One did. During the snow. Drove the wife's Renault till it thawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Like a few others on the forum I am not, in general, a huge fan of French motors.

But I can make exceptions e.g:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Alpine_GTA/A610#mediaviewer/File:Alpine-p1040134.jpg

7555_1324399870_169_7555.jpg

3624-03.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

There is so much French hate out there, must be something to do with Clarkson's Irish disciples of English wit.

Their loss is my gain.

Must bag myself a French ultra bargain shortly. It's an ill wind that blows no gain.

There is so much French hate out there, must be something to do with Clarkson's Irish disciples of English wit.

Their loss is my gain.

Must bag myself a French ultra bargain shortly. It's an ill wind that blows no gain.

I hear the Citroen C5 1.6 deisal is a good car, am I right or wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Just throwing it out there, I find this thread very entertaining :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

You have to rev the life out of it to get anywhere but it's very comfortable and fairly economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Owned one and sold it last month. Extremely comfortable and nice to drive / place to sit (I had the MK2). Engine needs a lot of TLC (service every 12K miles) and appreciates good quality diesel and regular motorway driving to make sure EGR is cleared out and DPF is reset (20 minutes a day at 120KM/h they say).

Issues I had were more tedious than anything, AC wasn't working due to broken flap - whole dash had to come out to replace it (and the heater box itself in my case because it seized, its a recall issue thats out of date now). Fuel lines had an air leak and gave me startup issues, replaced them and fuel rail sensor from a breakers and all was good. Developed a whine before sale, seems to be near the turbo (recently replaced the intake seal, mechanic said the noise was after the turbo, another air leak).

Would I buy one again? Yes I reckon so but the newer shape in a petrol - I'm done with diesel issues but treat it right and it's a very enjoyable car to own.

I'd go for the 2.0 diesel (1.6 is 110BHP vs 2.0 135BHP) if you are after one, not many samples in Ireland. My C5 was fully kitted interior wise (GPS etc) but was UK Import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I hate Hyundai's myself...

• Advertisement

Proton, Nissans (since Renault took control), Suzuki,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Proton, Nissans (since Renault took control), Suzuki,

What is a Proton? Is it the opposite of an Electron? Is it positively charged????
    Never heard of such a car!

Incidentally, I never knew Opel was German manufactured until I saw the ads 'Wier lieben Autos'. lol. Always thought they were French for some reason! I knew they were owned by GM (US co.) but have they always been manufactured in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

why would you hate the BMW ?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Export wrote: »
    Incidentally, I never knew Opel was German manufactured until I saw the ads 'Wier lieben Autos'. lol. Always thought they were French for some reason! I knew they were owned by GM (US co.) but have they always been manufactured in Germany?

They have a reliability record of French cars, so I can see why you were confused.;)

• Advertisement

irish gent wrote: »
    why would you hate the BMW ?:D

I've never been in one!

Oh Good God - it's like the Skoda of the 80's!

I never said having a big wallet makes one a car enthusiast but neither does buying a quirky old bag of crap just because you can't afford anything better!

No. Again, it's not about affordability! I had a quirky old car Mini Cooper because of the way it drove, the character, history, fun, the way it looked! I could have afforded something mainstream, but I didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Patww79 wrote: »

The actual car doesnt make an enthusiast, its the fact that he is driving the car that he wants to drive regardless of what it might actually be. If someone wants to drive a 520d, cares for it like a child, washes, polishes, maintains it on a weekly basis then more power to them. No different to someone who treats a Cortina, Mini, Glanza or whatever in the same manner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

djimi wrote: »
    The actual car doesnt make an enthusiast, its the fact that he is driving the car that he wants to drive regardless of what it might actually be. If someone wants to drive a 520d, cares for it like a child, washes, polishes, maintains it on a weekly basis then more power to them. No different to someone who treats a Cortina, Mini, Glanza or whatever in the same manner.

Absolutely, its the owner, not just the car.
    It is possible to own a 90's diesel Jetta and be a true car nut and own a Ferrari and have no appreciation of it whatsoever, overpaid, spoilt soccer player moneybags and primadonnas prove this every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Export wrote: »

with that sexy french one on the Citroen ad and the vorgsprungs and the vier lebens' I just wondered what an Irish manufactured car might have as a handle?

- mighty?

-bleedin' deadly(literally)

-lethal..see above

-get up the yard.

- now you're suckin' diesel (petrol variants available).

- grand

- not too bad...

- could be worse

- go hana mhaith...ar fad:o

with that sexy french one on the Citroen ad and the vorgsprungs and the vier lebens' I just wondered what an Irish manufactured car might have as a handle?

- mighty?

-bleedin' deadly(literally)

-lethal..see above

-get up the yard.

- now you're suckin' diesel (petrol variants available).

- grand

- not too bad...

- could be worse

- go hana mhaith...ar fad:o

'Sure she goes doesn't she? If yer lookin for one o them qware cars you're in the wrong place missus'.

'Designed by piss heads, driven by piss heads'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Advertisement
Advertisement