Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

For the record I love CEX, always get a good price in there I think, buying or selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they've gotten very good value with ps2/xbox games, some nice gems to be gotten cheap.

and to balance the discussion a bit I will say one good thing about Gamestop, they do give good value when clearing out excess stock of collector's editions of certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

they've gotten very good value with ps2/xbox games, some nice gems to be gotten cheap.

and to balance the discussion a bit I will say one good thing about Gamestop, they do give good value when clearing out excess stock of collector's editions of certain games.

Id imagine that is because under their accounts it is a loss ie. warehousing. It takes up space in their shops so unless they get rid of them they are losing money by not filling that space with products that will sell for a high profit margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ha they just blocked me on facebook for pointing out far cry and ac:u +r were cheaper else where ...... I wonder why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Yeah, they should leave posts like that up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its not up to anyone else to raise consumer awareness than the consumer themselves in stuff like this. If they ain't willing to shop around, thats their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EdragonXX

calex71 wrote: »
    ha they just blocked me on facebook for pointing out far cry and ac:u +r were cheaper else where ...... I wonder why :confused:

Because you are trying to ruin gameStop business? :)
    They have really good business today, lots of players are buying everyday from GameStop. Probably they have tooooo much money, so they do not care that other shops selling same games up to €10-€20 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Brilliant mate it isn't just me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Might aswell have put up ' HA! YOUR $HIT!'

:pac:

• calex71 wrote: »

Brilliant! Gamestop trolling at it's best :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ah guys, come on, if you were in ANY business, let's say you sell paint, would you let me come in and hang up a sign in your window saying "Same paint 25% cheaper a few doors down"

This is the real world and it's commercial.
    If 2 places are selling the same product at different prices, the higher priced seller doesn't want you to know about the lower priced seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ah guys, come on, if you were in ANY business, let's say you sell paint, would you let me come in and hang up a sign in your window saying "Same paint 25% cheaper a few doors down"

This is the real world and it's commercial.
    If 2 places are selling the same product at different prices, the higher priced seller doesn't want you to know about the lower priced seller.

Or the more expensive should offer something to counteract the price different.

Take Amazon for example; I'd pay a bit more to buy off Amazon than off another site because their customer service is outrageously good. If I buy from Amazon and there is a problem, I know I'll be taken care of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ehm, I don't think anyone is surprised by Gamestops natural and correct reaction here, including the poster who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Or the more expensive should offer something to counteract the price different.

Take Amazon for example; I'd pay a bit more to buy off Amazon than off another site because their customer service is outrageously good. If I buy from Amazon and there is a problem, I know I'll be taken care of.

I'm certainly no fan of Gamestop in the slightest but why SHOULD Gamestop offer something to counteract the price difference? They are selling at their price and if the consumer wants to get the best value they should shop around.

Gamestop will tell you that as a bricks and mortar shop you can just bring back something there than having to post it off to a site you bought it from. That's not a comment on their customer service, just the fact that you can do that.

As an incentive to buy from them, assuming people shop around? I agree, thats why I shop with amazon, their customer service is second to none, gamestop tie their returns to their loyalty cards now so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hope you realise the loyalty card is not to give you incentives it is used to track your trading of games and what you buy check your emails from them bet they are generalised towards what consoles you own or what they are aware that you own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hope you realise the loyalty card is not to give you incentives it is used to track your trading of games and what you buy check your emails from them bet they are generalised towards what consoles you own or what they are aware that you own.

The fiends!
    Imagine the damage they could do if they knew I owned a PS4... oh wait, no damage at all... just unsubscribe, that's what the buttons for!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Oddly you can't actually trade in without a card, gestapo tactics imo, but we all know how I feel about them by now. I think I will unsubscribe from this page though, enjoy getting ripped off by these fiends sheeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

Oddly you can't actually trade in without a card, gestapo tactics imo, but we all know how I feel about them by now. I think I will unsubscribe from this page though, enjoy getting ripped off by these fiends sheeple.

traded in this morning without a card.......so :roll eyes:

also i feel like you underestimate the gestapo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Corholio wrote: »
    I'm certainly no fan of Gamestop in the slightest but why SHOULD Gamestop offer something to counteract the price difference? They are selling at their price and if the consumer wants to get the best value they should shop around.

Gamestop will tell you that as a bricks and mortar shop you can just bring back something there than having to post it off to a site you bought it from. That's not a comment on their customer service, just the fact that you can do that.
    But that's simply not true try and return something like a console or headset and see how awkward they make it.

They have no way of testing any online issues instore I had a manager say I can't test the mic on headset before and he said I'll bring it home over weekend and check it. Don't get me wrong but the guy looks like he washed once a month I don't want him having my item in his home and wearing it... There are hygiene issues with that kinda thing.
    Another thing is gamestop HMV whoever punish staff and managers for taking returns hence why it's so difficult to return something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

But that's simply not true try and return something like a console or headset and see how awkward they make it.

They have no way of testing any online issues instore I had a manager say I can't test the mic on headset before and he said I'll bring it home over weekend and check it. Don't get me wrong but the guy looks like he washed once a month I don't want him having my item in his home and wearing it... There are hygiene issues with that kinda thing.
    Another thing is gamestop HMV whoever punish staff and managers for taking returns hence why it's so difficult to return something

I said Gamestop will tell you you can bring it back, as is the law, I wasn't saying anything was true or false. I was just outlining what they would use as an alternative to buying online, which for some people is still a no-no, which is why they remain popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

As a game lover I find it a pity that bricks and mortar game shops are dieing out as I feel it's always nicer to go into the store and physically pick out your game and rush home to play it. Buying online doesn't quite have that appeal.
    However over the past 3-4 years I have bought the majority of my games on sites such as amazon or the hut. I flat out refuse to give anybody, whether it be gamestop or xtravision, 75 euros for a game that I can get for almost half the price online.
    I hope there will always be video game shops to visit but I can't see how the likes of gamestop can continue to operate in this country with their outrageous prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

da gamer wrote: »
    As a game lover I find it a pity that bricks and mortar game shops are dieing out as I feel it's always nicer to go into the store and physically pick out your game and rush home to play it. Buying online doesn't quite have that appeal.
    However over the past 3-4 years I have bought the majority of my games on sites such as amazon or the hut. I flat out refuse to give anybody, whether it be gamestop or xtravision, 75 euros for a game that I can get for almost half the price online.
    I hope there will always be video game shops to visit but I can't see how the likes of gamestop can continue to operate in this country with their outrageous prices.

It's beyond me how brick and mortar stores can still operate...
    I haven't bought a physical game in 10 years and I'd mostly associate these shops with kiddies and their consoles. It's hard to put into words but think about something we take for granted today - let's say a mobile....if we woke up tomorrow and mobiles had vanished from this world think how lost you would be? What I'm trying to say is that when you've been on PC for such a long time it's easy to forget just how stuck in the past most people still are. On PC you just pay a couple of quid for a key code and off you go.....

Microsoft tried to digitalise with the XBO and there was uproar from brain-dead masses lead by a despicable company, Gamestop, who are taking them to the cleaners at every turn. A PC CD-Key for Far Cry 4 is only 20 Euro....have fun handing over 70+Euro when Gamestop bend you over the counter next week and proceed to give you a right rogering....then, you'll ask for more. Why? Because some f**kers refuse to come into the 21st century...

Well, not everyone shops around. And not everyone knows about cheap digital stuff and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Dayum wrote: »
    I haven't bought a physical game in 10 years and I'd mostly associate these shops with kiddies and their consoles. It's hard to put into words but think about something we take for granted today - let's say a mobile....if we woke up tomorrow and mobiles had vanished from this world think how lost you would be? What I'm trying to say is that when you've been on PC for such a long time it's easy to forget just how stuck in the past most people still are. On PC you just pay a couple of quid for a key code and off you go.....

Microsoft tried to digitalise with the XBO and there was uproar from brain-dead masses lead by a despicable company, Gamestop, who are taking them to the cleaners at every turn. A PC CD-Key for Far Cry 4 is only 20 Euro....have fun handing over 70+Euro when Gamestop bend you over the counter next week and proceed to give you a right rogering....then, you'll ask for more. Why? Because some f**kers refuse to come into the 21st century...

careful their, half of them complainers are on boards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If you think the X1 going full digital would mean console game prices would match PC prices you're deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Digital pricing on consoles is worse than Gamestop. Despite having no overheads in comparison, I checked the price of Titanfall on Xbox Live earlier. €69.99. :rolleyes:

At least when you buy in gamestop, you can get money back on it via selling on the likes on adverts or even trading it back in. Once you buy digital, it's yours and yours alone.

It works well on PC because prices are fantastic. Whereas Xbox Live is just a total joke, no idea why anyone would buy games digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Digital pricing on consoles is worse than Gamestop. Despite having no overheads in comparison, I checked the price of Titanfall on Xbox Live earlier. €69.99. :rolleyes:

At least when you buy in gamestop, you can get money back on it via selling on the likes on adverts or even trading it back in. Once you buy digital, it's yours and yours alone.

It works well on PC because prices are fantastic. Whereas Xbox Live is just a total joke, no idea why anyone would buy games digitally.

Well if you looked last week Titanfall was on deals with gold for €35 . You snooze you lose.

Not to mind game sharing on the xbox one means the games work out at €24 each

Is game sharing an actual thing on the XB1 or is it something disapproved of?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dayum, almost every one of your posts in this forum is the same hackneyed, condescending 'PC master race' silliness. Please lay off it and try to be civil. Thanks.

Advertisement