Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well if you looked last week Titanfall was on deals with gold for €35 . You snooze you lose.

Snooze and I lose what, a still totally inflated 'sale' price?

You can buy a physical Titanfall brand new from Amazon for €30 on the Xbox One...and that's just the normal everyday price, not a sale. And again, digital is limited as it can't be traded or re-sold.

For example Titanfall on the PC was something like €7 recently in a sale. The PC is a competitive market and even Steam themselves as a platform run extensive sales everyday of the year (even if there new release pricing isn't good), whereas on Xbox Live and PS Network they control the prices and they're just rubbish. The odd time you get an alright deal but in general it offers dreadful pricing - gamestop prices for a digital product.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think choice is so important, any advantage the online physical gene market may have could evaporate if they no longer had to compete with bricks and mortar shops.
    Competition is good choice is good.
    I shopped around for Trap Team for my son for Xmas and the best price, on the PS3, was from Amazon in the UK.
    Around 52 shipped.
    But if I'm looking for figures and other accessories physical shops like Smyths and Argos are pretty competitive, especially as cheaper items don't have free shipping.
    So, choice is the best thing, and if you prefer to only use bricks and mortar it's cool too, not the mark of a neanderthal, any more than not owning a Kindle makes you a cromagnon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Some people are happy to pay an inflated price, rather than shop around.
    I was talking to some other parents just last week, a couple were saying they were gonna get their sons call of duty, and it was a disgrace how expensive it was in gamestop, etc. I told them supervalu had it for 50 (supervalu was maybe a 5 minute drive, 10 minute walk from where we were) and they said thanks, but they were gonna be in gamestop before supervalu so might as well get it there :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Their own fault so.
    And I wonder if the game is age appropriate?

Well no. They're the kind of people who buy their sons incredibly violent games then whinge about how violent they are :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Their own fault so.
    And I wonder if the game is age appropriate?

Isn't the average age demographic of Call of Duty something like 14 or 15? I read it somewhere a few years back..

Dayum wrote: »
    Isn't the average age demographic of Call of Duty something like 14 or 15? I read it somewhere a few years back..

That explains why they aren't allowed play it, given its 18+ age rating.
    Some parents are simply at best stupid of at worst neglectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I certainly wouldn't have any problem with a 15 year old playing Call of Duty, or any game for that matter but it's a different story when 10 years old are playing, and you do see parents purchasing 18's rated/recommended games for kids that age regularly enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Yup, the same demography that's into the items below:

B2hTWMiIgAAh4eG.jpg

:p

Speaking of parents buying COD and the likes of GTA too, it really shouldn't surprise me at this stage, but yet it does. I haven't bought many games over the past year truth be told, but I remember being at Gamestop the morning of GTAV's release on last gen, at around 9am or so. The line was massive, unsurprisingly, but the amount of parents in it, some with kids who looked to be as old as 8 years at most was something else. I remember being behind a couple of mothers who were discussing the game amongst themselves, and many a time I felt like interjecting and asking did they know what happens in this game, but decided to leave it.

I'm waiting till they see the First person view in GTA 5. First person looks at having sex with, then killing hookers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Microsoft tried to digitalise with the XBO and there was uproar from brain-dead masses lead by a despicable company, Gamestop, who are taking them to the cleaners at every turn. A PC CD-Key for Far Cry 4 is only 20 Euro....have fun handing over 70+Euro when Gamestop bend you over the counter next week and proceed to give you a right rogering....then, you'll ask for more. Why? Because some f**kers refuse to come into the 21st century...

Imagine that physical games are dead, and the only place you can buy the game from is the Xbox Marketplace. There is no competition.

Do you think prices would go up or down?

Umaro wrote: »
    Imagine that physical games are dead, and the only place you can buy the game from is the Xbox Marketplace. There is no competition.

Do you think prices would go up or down?

You're assuming everyone is going to have an Xbox. Have Sony disappeared in your scenario? Have all the Steamboxes disappeared in your scenario? Has PC disappeared in your scenario?

I'm not defending Microsoft in any way so apologies if it came across like that....what I am promoting is the concept of competition within digitalisation (such as PC has currently), not the Microsoft corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

You're assuming everyone is going to have an Xbox. Have Sony disappeared in your scenario? Have all the Steamboxes disappeared in your scenario? Has PC disappeared in your scenario?

I'm not defending Microsoft in any way so apologies if it came across like that....what I am promoting is the concept of competition within digitalisation (such as PC has currently), not the Microsoft corporation.

ya this guy wants all games digitalised so so we should do it :roll eyes:

mate i prefer physical copys of games to digital copys(although i own both) and to be honest with my internet connection its quicker to go to the shop and buy a game than download it this in no way makes me a "****er that refuses to come into the 21st century" its merely a preference on my part and to be honest dont see why it seems to annoy you so much when it makes no difference to you.

nerd69 wrote: »
    ya this guy wants all games digitalised so so we should do it :roll eyes:

mate i prefer physical copys of games to digital copys(although i own both) and to be honest with my internet connection its quicker to go to the shop and buy a game than download it this in no way makes me a "****er that refuses to come into the 21st century" its merely a preference on my part and to be honest dont see why it seems to annoy you so much when it makes no difference to you.

You prefer physical copies because your cheap internet is ****?

Great argument there. That settles it then.

You prefer physical copies because your cheap internet is ****?

Great argument there. That settles it then.

i would prefer them regardless just like my books i like being able to flick through my games. and I live in the country so better internet is unfortunately not an option.

besides who the **** are you to decide we are wrong in our preferences

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Calm down folks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm waiting till they see the First person view in GTA 5. First person looks at having sex with, then killing hookers :pac:

pro tip: never look a gift hooker in the mouth.

Once again, I much prefer owning physical media and consoles.
    Perhaps gaming on PC is different, given its the device you assemble Office docs on as well as gaming, but for dedicated consoles I love having the tangible games in my hand.
    That way I am not relying on Microsoft or Sony or Nintendo to maintain the servers to insure I will always have access to my games library.
    Otherwise, if you bought Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on Xbla and your console died, you'd be screwed as it's been taken down.
    Nope, I'll take a physical copy, as long as the console will run, which admittedly with the 360 is not a given, you'll be able to play it.
    That'll do me thanks.
    And I don't think that makes me or others who might disagree "brain dead masses"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I stopped shopping in Gamestop after I got scalped on the Xbox One launch. A 3 for 2 offer on a console launch is something I've never experienced before and was pretty poor considering everyone elses' offers.

I still go with physical copies but just online now. I bought Sunset Overdrive for £32.50 last week online (new - day 1 edition) which comes in at €42 euro. Compare that to Gamestop and HMV's price of €69.99 and it's incredibly hard to justify their existance bar somewhere you trade your games into after you've played it. €18 euro extra to cover staff and physical location costs? It doesn't add up, even when you consider the lower taxes these companies pay here.

These stores really are great for parents with kids though and that's where I see them headed. If you go into a Gamestop you can see they're halfway there with the ratio of games to merch and accessories slowly getting smaller. I can still see why people get frustrated, the opportunistic pricing of COD for example (€75) and the instance of staff on insurance sales really can annoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EdragonXX

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I still go with physical copies but just online now. I bought Sunset Overdrive for £32.50 last week online (new - day 1 edition) which comes in at €42 euro. Compare that to Gamestop and HMV's price of €69.99 and it's incredibly hard to justify their existance bar somewhere you trade your games into after you've played it. €18 euro extra to cover staff and physical location costs? It doesn't add up, even when you consider the lower taxes these companies pay here.

100% agree. After GAME and HMV went to administration Gamestop increased prices rapidly. From €50 to €75 within one year. This is crazy!

Previously there was competition. But after GAME went, and then HMV, Gamestop started rule videogames business in Ireland. Yes HMV come back, but damage was done, and new owners and staff attitude was horrible. Worse than before. And who want pre-order games from HMV if they never fulfill release date promises. 2 times I gave them chance. And both times they said on release date that they still did not got games, and I need wait to next week. <-- REALLY? And now HMV prices may be sometimes even higher than Gamestop prices.

So who left? SMYTHS? After they fired previous managers from videogames department, they are almost out of business too, prices is too high, and TRADE-IN prices horrible low - sometimes they offer for 1 week old game max €25. If this game is in system, many times person who is responsible for that, forgot to add games into system.

So who's left? Online shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

EdragonXX wrote: »

So who's left? Online shops.

To be honest, as long as you're not bothered about DLC, CEX is probably the only game store with decent prices, I'm not 100% comfortable buying from them as it takes away cash from the developer but if you're strapped for cash and don't want to go online, they're a pretty good option.

For example, Sunset Overdrive:

HMV, GameStop and Xtravision sell for €69.99. Smyths for €64.99

CEX:
    WeSell for €50.00
    WeBuy for €35.00
    WeBuy for voucher €39.00

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EdragonXX

dmcg90 wrote: »
    To be honest, as long as you're not bothered about DLC, CEX is probably the only game store with decent prices, I'm not 100% comfortable buying from them as it takes away cash from the developer but if you're strapped for cash and don't want to go online, they're a pretty good option.

For example, Sunset Overdrive:

HMV, GameStop and Xtravision sell for €69.99. Smyths for €64.99

CEX:
    WeSell for €50.00
    WeBuy for €35.00
    WeBuy for voucher €39.00

If develeopers and publishers will lower prices 50%, then I am pretty sure, most people will keep games after that. :) And it may increase sales visibly. Also cheaper prices may attract much more customers. Also selling your stuff is very common thing anywhere and nobody ever had any problems with that previoulsy -> cars, homes, movies, music, computers, ...

There is one problem CEX does not sell new games. So you need to wait until someone will sell his games. In that case you may look adverts.ie page. You may got game with cheaper price than anywhere else, and also seller can get more many than gamestop or CEX is offering. WIN-WIN for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

I bought alien isolation on ps4 for €34 delivered on amazon. It's €75 in gamestop and not even stocked in xtravision. No brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

da gamer wrote: »
    I bought alien isolation on ps4 for €34 delivered on amazon. It's €75 in gamestop and not even stocked in xtravision. No brainer.

Like I have found my local gamestop getting quitter and quitter since cex opened in Waterford. Allways a line in cex while no one in gamestop all the time since.

Like with argos being cheaper then then gamestop by a lot lately why would you be assed going to gamestop to get rapped when you can go cex get extremal good cash ans then go to argos to get your cheaper game.

I have bought myself 3 games in gamestop this year and there vita games as no where else had them. They where Taraway for 15 euros. Dragons crown and freedem wars for 30 euros so for vita there ok but for ps4 you will get rapped

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Like I have found my local gamestop getting quitter and quitter since cex opened in Waterford. Allways a line in cex while no one in gamestop all the time since.

Like with argos being cheaper then then gamestop by a lot lately why would you be assed going to gamestop to get rapped when you can go cex get extremal good cash ans then go to argos to get your cheaper game.

I have bought myself 3 games in gamestop this year and there vita games as no where else had them. They where Taraway for 15 euros. Dragons crown and freedem wars for 30 euros so for vita there ok but for ps4 you will get rapped

For me the internet is still far and away the best place for games I find, I just won't buy 2nd hand from CEX or Gamestop anymore.....and I was never one for trading in my games, as I may want them in the future when I'm an old man, to show the grandkids

Note : you should really check some of the grammatical errors in your post mate, apologies though if you have some underlying learning problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Amazon for ftw, I got far cry 4 delivered for ps4 for about 50euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Note : you should really check some of the grammatical errors in your post mate, apologies though if you have some underlying learning problem.

Nobody has the time for commas or full stops!

his speeling mistukes r apauling dough

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    his speeling mistukes r apauling dough

not a fan of a specific genre of music either it would seem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Yeah seriously though like. There new prices are now just as worse as Tesco's. Over 50 quid for a 2 year old game, lmao...

I do like there loyalty card system to be fair. I just signed up for it so i cant really say how its like, but if you actually can return games within a week then that's amazing!

Advertisement