Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

nerd69 wrote: »
    not a fan of a specific genre of music either it would seem

There's a specific genre of music that enshrines bad spelling?
    Or should I say Pacific genre of music ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There's a specific genre of music that enshrines bad spelling?
    Or should I say Pacific genre of music ;)

:D well he was very unhappy at being rapped

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

:D well he was very unhappy at being rapped

Well, you would wouldn't you?
    Nothing worse than being in with a group of strangers, with the threat of rap in the air...
    F##k the police indeed

Well, you would wouldn't you?
    Nothing worse than being in with a group of strangers, with the threat of rap in the air...
    F##k the police indeed

that made me laugh a lot :D

Edit:dat made me laf a lot

Just to say I was in Gamestop this morning in Swords, and very busy it was too.
    I was looking for a PS3 for a client of mine, I work in the field of Intellectual Disability.
    I said I needed one for someone who has never played games before, he asked me what age and I explained the individual who I was getting it for.
    Instead of paying the expected 300+ for a new one he sold me a 12gb one for €160, and a couple of games bringing it to just shy of €200.
    I have to say, I was very impressed, the cashier then took the time, in spite of the crowds, to find a game as well, very decent service, just as a counterpoint to all the GS negativity on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

A 12gb PS3 without a HDD upgrade is practically useless though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Nollog

Re loyalty schemes
    No one is forcing it on you, so why complain when they are introduced?
    Just shop elsewhere!
    You can preorder online, save money as well.

Why do you want every to be forced into something they don't like so much?
    Three times you used this argument on page 1.

Anyway, I had games and some money on a card so I got smash bros from them, 70 euro and all i got was the game, the salt is clogging my veins.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Why do you want every to be forced into something they don't like so much?
    Three times you used this argument on page 1.

Anyway, I had games and some money on a card so I got smash bros from them, 70 euro and all i got was the game, the salt is clogging my veins.

What now?
    Either your spell check is ropey or you're just dead wrong.
    Who the hell said anything about wanting people forced into something.
    My point, consistently, is that people are free to chose where to shop, if they feel prices are too high or they're getting ripped off then they are free to walk out of the shop and buy your stuff elsewhere.
    So, what exactly is your point?
    You've lost me.

If you don't like GS's loyalty scheme don't sign up, take your business elsewhere.
    They can introduce one if they like, they can paint there feet blue and serve you via string puppet if they like, if any introduced measure isn't to your liking then walk away

cloud493 wrote: »
    A 12gb PS3 without a HDD upgrade is practically useless though :p

This system will never be online, so not such a big deal.

What now?
    Either your spell check is ropey or you're just dead wrong.
    Who the hell said anything about wanting people forced into something.
    My point, consistently, is that people are free to chose where to shop, if they feel prices are too high or they're getting ripped off then they are free to walk out of the shop and buy your stuff elsewhere.
    So, what exactly is your point?
    You've lost me.

If you don't like GS's loyalty scheme don't sign up, take your business elsewhere.
    They can introduce one if they like, they can paint there feet blue and serve you via string puppet if they like, if any introduced measure isn't to your liking then walk away
    same.
    I guess we just don't like a company that forces things on you, and voice our concerns about it to other people to spread our dis-taste at unsavoury practises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Went into Gamestop today and they shot me in the face with a shotgun
    Right in my face
    F**k that, I'm not going back there, that's the last straw
    They did give me 20% extra on my next trade it though

same.
    I guess we just don't like a company that forces things on you, and voice our concerns about it to other people to spread our dis-taste at unsavoury practises.

what do they force on you :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

Their next day delivery service is to be commended though! I ordered from their site on Monday and my item is still waiting in their warehouse to be dispatched...might be lucky if it arrives by little christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This system will never be online, so not such a big deal.

Game installs? You only get 8gb of space, runs out within one or two games.

what do they force on you :confused:
    Nothing, and everything.
    You can avoid their stores, or you can go in and buy something.
    The second one is where they force policies on you.

Could you not go in? Yes.
    Is that the point? No.
    Do you want to be semantic about the word "force"? Yes.

I hope this solves all your queries on my post.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Game installs? You only get 8gb of space, runs out within one or two games.

I'm not expecting this chap to have a massive library of titles tbh.
    And without mandatory updates on day one it should be a space saver.

Nothing, and everything.

Is that the point? No.

There really isn't any semantics at work here, no word play, not trying to be clever and catch someone out.
    They have introduced measures that mean having a loyalty card when trading in.
    This is a way to track you and generate revenue and I can see how this is a chance in their terms and conditions and can tick people off.
    But they aren't alone
    CEX demand the same and so do Xtravision, before you can trade in there you have to be a member, have a token, keyring or card that is linked to your details.
    So, essentially, GS are following what has become normal business practice, however much of a drag as it might be.
    Doing business with them means agreeing to the conditions of business with them, and a loyalty card is one of those conditions.
    It's not forced once you understand its part of the deal now.
    And if it is not to your satisfaction then walk out.
    The choices of where to shop are entirely yours.
    And if enough people were to walk away from trading with GS as a result of the loyalty card scheme then they'd probably have to abandon it.
    Time and profits will tell then.

Nothing, and everything.

Is that the point? No.

I'm not being semantic about the word force when i shop there i get asked a question or two say no and thats that i feel like your massively overusing the word its no bigger a deal than a petrol station asking if i got petrol/want a loyalty card

My problem wasn't a loyalty card, I got one myself to get extra trade in, I was talking about how expensive they are, and how they take advantage of parents who don't know better that €75 = a game price, since i've only been to gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

They take advantage of crumblies big time, they dont know any better.

I dont know why anyone would defend the shop.
    The 'you dont have to in' argument pisses me off. People obviously want a b&m shop but they also dont want to pay inflated rip off prices.

• Advertisement

J Mysterio wrote: »

The 'you dont have to in' argument pisses me off. People obviously want a b&m shop but they also dont want to pay inflated rip off prices.

It's not like it's the only shop to go to, Argos, Smyth's, Xtravision.
    And it's not about defending the shop.
    Rather it's not indulging the notion that people have no choice but to go in and spend money there, that they are coerced in some regard.
    No sense of personal responsibility, more "it isn't my fault, someone else did it to me" nonsense.

for me at least its less defending the shop than being curious as to why people get so irate about a shop overcharging/ pushing there peripherals in this particular industry the things in practise are used in most industries but iv a few buddies as well who swear that gamestop is the devil because of them.

Rather it's not indulging the notion that people have no choice but to go in and spend money there, that they are coerced in some regard.
    No sense of personal responsibility, more "it isn't my fault, someone else did it to me" nonsense.
    for me at least its less defending the shop than being curious as to why people get so irate about a shop overcharging/ pushing there peripherals in this particular industry the things in practise are used in most industries but iv a few buddies as well who swear that gamestop is the devil because of them.

I know I say they're not worth dealing with, and complain about them in the hopes potential customers see my negative remarks and look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 arkslippy123

Cormac... wrote: »
    Went into Gamestop today and they shot me in the face with a shotgun
    Right in my face
    F**k that, I'm not going back there, that's the last straw
    They did give me 20% extra on my next trade it though

Camping b*****d's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I inboxed them some offensive content about their family and reported them for hacking.
    Cannot stand the place
    Would never give them my business.
    I've got a further 20% back off my next 3 trades.
    After I swap another couple of games with them, that's it, I'm done!

Cormac... wrote: »
    I inboxed them some offensive content about their family and reported them for hacking.
    Cannot stand the place
    Would never give them my business.
    I've got a further 20% back off my next 3 trades.
    After I swap another couple of games with them, that's it, I'm done!

What you need to do, is only do trades that will hurt them, some games they'll never shift.
    That's what I (try) to do at least.

You just cant bring yourself to accept the simple and valid argument that the prices they are charging are ridiculous.

Never mind that there are other stores.

One would think you have some sort of vested interest.

What? That's a very confused post.

They overcharge, that's the problem. Otherwise, good shop.

You just cant bring yourself to accept the simple and valid argument that the prices they are charging are ridiculous.

Never mind that there are other stores.

One would think you have some sort of vested interest.

I'm not sure if replying to you is just going to result in a similar personal comment
    But, with that in mind.
    I never had an issue with the suggestion that they charge a lot for games, both new and preowned, and their trade in values are very low.

And, with that in mind, of course other stores are relevant.
    Because if GameStop had a monopoly then it would be an issue, but they don't.
    You can vote with your feet and shop in the other shops that provide the same service.

And, as for the vested interest comment, grow up

• Advertisement

I never had an issue with the suggestion that they charge a lot for games, both new and preowned, and their trade in values are very low.

That would have done.

Advertisement