Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Anyone know a rough estimate of how much I would get if I traded in a playstation 3 at gamestop? Thinking of getting a ps4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That would have done.

Not really, the proponents of the position that this manner of business makes them thieves is what was initially the point offered.
    And that was the point of contention.
    And what I replied to.

Pay for a bottle of perfume or aftershave in Boots and you'll pay a certain amount, do the same in Brown Thomas and you'll be charged more, they aren't considered thieves for doing so, yet somehow when you sell videogames you are, for the same practice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone know a rough estimate of how much I would get if I traded in a playstation 3 at gamestop? Thinking of getting a ps4

Better off selling it on Adverts tbh, or CEX, put the credit there towards a preowned PS4, save some money.
    GS are bound to disappoint with their console trade in values.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Depends on the kind. They won't take the older models at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gamestop offer terrible prices. Even for a new enough PS3 they'd give you about 70. It's what they offered me for a 250GB 360 S model (and that's credit!).

Best off selling second hand on adverts or donedeal. CEX offer the best trade in cash/credit as far as I know.

Spam.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That's me facepalming.

Work away so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Poopooojhuukkg

Don't even bother with them... My cousin went to pick up smash 3ds 1 &1/2 weeks after it came out in Ireland in smyths picked it up for 45 euro all fine.. Later that day i was in GameStop looking to pick it was full ****ing 60 euro and wasn't gonna be out until a week... Not to mention I saw destiny for 85 euro.... ****in scam artists

• Advertisement

Its not really much of a scam though, as we've discussed over this longer than I expected thread :P its an unfair mark up maybe, but I suppose it would only be a scan/con if it (say smash) was marked at 40, I take it to the till and they charge me 60 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ill throw in some positivity for gamestop as always in this thread, its only bad **** goes around.

I was trying to sell my Wii U on adverts and I was getting low balled or zero to no intrest. I would have taken 260eu for everything I got. In the end I just got sick of it and brought it to gamestop and got 250eu credit... :rolleyes: With zero hassle and no need to to deal with muppets or spending money on petrol to bring it somewhere.
    I was looking for xbox one anyway and Gamestop had a very nice deal. Xbox one with Halo and Destiny for 399eu ( both physical copies ). Its a great deal, but no one will mention it, because its more fun to moan and bitch about bad deals Gamestop has.
    I walked in to Gamestop and had a good deal on trade in and brand new console. No one was forcing me to buy a game for 75eu. It might be shocking, for some people, but it is possible to deal with business and chose the products and services you find good for you and completely ignoring the ones that dont suit you. :pac:

On customer service topic now. When I got my xbox one, I got an issue of a noisy Power Brick. I am on my third Power Brick right now and Lads were extremely helpful with my issue. It is still noisy as **** and I was asked if I want just to bring xbox one and get a full replacement, NO problems at all. No one got annoyed by me or tried to Ban me from Gamestop shops as annoying customer...
    All staff I met in any Gamestop were always very nice to me and helpful. I am not saying that there are no odd balls who are assholes ( I have not met a single one in gamestop yet ), but you will meet such people in any industry. You have to remember that lads who work in gamestop meet A TON asshole customers and have to be patient and polite with them. I heard some really good stories, where I would not have patients to deal with such idiots.

TL;DR: Gamestop is a business like any others. If you find a good deal, then do business with them, if you dont find a good deal, dont do business with them. No one holds a loaded gun to your head. Try not to be a C*nt and People wont be C*nts to you, but this is more of a common sence life rule.

Don't even bother with them... My cousin went to pick up smash 3ds 1 &1/2 weeks after it came out in Ireland in smyths picked it up for 45 euro all fine.. Later that day i was in GameStop looking to pick it was full ****ing 60 euro and wasn't gonna be out until a week... Not to mention I saw destiny for 85 euro.... ****in scam artists

Seeing as its 75 on the PS4 and 65 on the PS3 it seems unlikely the price was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Went to Gamestop trading in Shadow of Mordor on 360 its was only out a week bought for €52 offered me €20 trade in credit, went down the road to Xtravision only offering €25 trade in credit I seen they were giving 35 for Shadow on xbox one even thought its been out for well over 2 months. Cex are giving €39 big difference.

I haven't traded anything in Gamestop in yonks, not since the prices on offer dropped.
    CEX consistently do better, but they don't stock brand new games, so if you are after something recent with DLC codes intact, you'll have to pony up.
    Do Smyths or Xtravision/HMV take trades?

They do, but lower prices/less variety than gamestop I believe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You just cant bring yourself to accept the simple and valid argument that the prices they are charging are ridiculous.

Never mind that there are other stores.

One would think you have some sort of vested interest.

They are expensive, off licences are generally more expensive than supermarkets, it costs you more to go to a restaurant than to buy the equivalent and cook it yourself.

Why is this even being talked about?

The parents don't know any better argument is garbage too, in this day and age people need to be capable of shopping around the internet isn't a 'new found out' anymore.

I go into gamestop every so often and and see if they have any offers, they generally don't, but the odd time they do, look in the bargain alerts thread and you'll see them pop up every so often.

The have every right to charge a price they think will maximise their profits, every right, you have every right to get the best price available and buy online or in another shop.

Every time I think I'm done with this thread I wind up reading new posts and repeating the same obvious points to an incredulous few.
    But, I can give it up anytime I like, honestly I can...

I don't know too many businesses that will let a gormless shopper with money to burn wander out of the store without squeezing them for every cent they can.
    I don't agree with this practice but it is the capitalist way and it would be naive to assume otherwise, and Gamestop are no different than any of the rest.
    Imagining they are some evil empire out to steal is just the same tired excuses from people who are too lazy or thick to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Every time I think I'm done with this thread I wind up reading new posts and repeating the same obvious points to an incredulous few.
    But, I can give it up anytime I like, honestly I can...

I don't know too many businesses that will let a gormless shopper with money to burn wander out of the store without squeezing them for every cent they can.
    I don't agree with this practice but it is the capitalist way and it would be naive to assume otherwise, and Gamestop are no different than any of the rest.
    Imagining they are some evil empire out to steal is just the same tired excuses from people who are too lazy or thick to shop around.

The reason they're still alive is because there exists a market for them. We don't have to bash Gamestop but we can sure as hell bash the idiots that keep them afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭Nollog

Ill throw in some positivity for gamestop as always in this thread, its only bad **** goes around.

I was trying to sell my Wii U on adverts and I was getting low balled or zero to no intrest. I would have taken 260eu for everything I got. In the end I just got sick of it and brought it to gamestop and got 250eu credit... :rolleyes: With zero hassle and no need to to deal with muppets or spending money on petrol to bring it somewhere.
    I was looking for xbox one anyway and Gamestop had a very nice deal. Xbox one with Halo and Destiny for 399eu ( both physical copies ). Its a great deal, but no one will mention it, because its more fun to moan and bitch about bad deals Gamestop has.
    I walked in to Gamestop and had a good deal on trade in and brand new console. No one was forcing me to buy a game for 75eu. It might be shocking, for some people, but it is possible to deal with business and chose the products and services you find good for you and completely ignoring the ones that dont suit you. :pac:

On customer service topic now. When I got my xbox one, I got an issue of a noisy Power Brick. I am on my third Power Brick right now and Lads were extremely helpful with my issue. It is still noisy as **** and I was asked if I want just to bring xbox one and get a full replacement, NO problems at all. No one got annoyed by me or tried to Ban me from Gamestop shops as annoying customer...
    All staff I met in any Gamestop were always very nice to me and helpful. I am not saying that there are no odd balls who are assholes ( I have not met a single one in gamestop yet ), but you will meet such people in any industry. You have to remember that lads who work in gamestop meet A TON asshole customers and have to be patient and polite with them. I heard some really good stories, where I would not have patients to deal with such idiots.

TL;DR: Gamestop is a business like any others. If you find a good deal, then do business with them, if you dont find a good deal, dont do business with them. No one holds a loaded gun to your head. Try not to be a C*nt and People wont be C*nts to you, but this is more of a common sence life rule.

Yeah, they're only decent when you have something to trade in that they think is more valuable than the market does, and screw them over.

• Advertisement

You're just bitter because people think your username is forward slash, backward slash, forward slash ollog! ;)
    Truth is it's a christmassy as pudding!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Indeed. I released that just after posting and so deleted. Bit too hasty to man the pitchforks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This thread resurfacing makes me a sad panda :(
    which is unusual seeing as I'm a human

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EdragonXX

Dayum wrote: »
    The reason they're still alive is because there exists a market for them. We don't have to bash Gamestop but we can sure as hell bash the idiots that keep them afloat.

True, there is so many people buying games. I understand some guys who wants physical copy on the release day. They do not want wait until to next week to get game. But who are buying weeks later or months later these games there? Just checked some pre-owned Xbox One and PS4 games, these prices are unvelievable high. They are selling these games for €45-€55. Same time you can buy these games as new from amazon or anywhere else for only €30.

Advertisement