Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

cloud493 wrote: »
    I see a lot of movies, and theres far worse this year than robocop :pac:
    But to say the original is trash...... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I didnt say trash, I said 'I didnt think much of it' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

The original is a classic, next you'll be saying the newer Die Hards are good films and the original isn't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Won the new aliens game for ps4. Not my bag. Went to gamestop . 20 Euro trade in value. Went to hmv 30 Euro trade in.

gamestop is a last resort.

They are always more expensive than Argos and hmv to buy games from. Or trade games in.

Sure cex woulda given you 38 cash :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

What is the game insurance even for? One guy said to me it was because laser burn is so prevalent on consoles. Being no expert on laser technology, I'd be highly surprised if the lasers in the consoles have the ability to burn a disc. Maybe they do but it seems dubious to me.

And even then, I can't imagine those circular scratches happen on their own for no reason. Either a broken component or fecking around and moving the console while it is reading the disc. And that means the least of my worries would be one scratched disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What is the game insurance even for? One guy said to me it was because laser burn is so prevalent on consoles. Being no expert on laser technology, I'd be highly surprised if the lasers in the consoles have the ability to burn a disc. Maybe they do but it seems dubious to me.

Haha. They really are shameless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

And even then, I can't imagine those circular scratches happen on their own for no reason. Either a broken component or fecking around and moving the console while it is reading the disc. And that means the least of my worries would be one scratched disc.

I think in the majority of cases its sold to parents who are buying a present, most people would take their chances. I can see the point of it as it apparently covers everything but I get the feeling its the people who wrap the games in protective layers would buy it. Another reminder why digital downloads are the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

if they are duping people into buying it because of laser burn ffs what a shower of lowlives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I might be wrong as I never had to do it myself and only read about it on the internet but if you have a disk that isnt working wont the publisher replace it for 5 euro or something? You send them the disk and they'll return you a brand new one (Just the disk, no case/manual)

Would make the disk protection a bit worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Laser burn is when the laser assembly comes in contact with a spinning cd/dvd when some twit moves, typically, a 360 from one orientation to another, flat to upright or vice versa.
    Not sure if the PS3 had the same issue, but I don't think it was as popular to flip from upright and flat.
    I recall a bunch a feckers actually flogging a table of 360 games at a market, looked about 20 or so. I knew the games were dodgy but took a chance. They giggled to themselves as people, including kids, spent their money on the stuff. All I know is none of them worked, not a one.
    Hope they get something unpleasant growing in their colons.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Quick question for anyone bought Call of duty Advanced Warfare 70 euro rip off in gamestop. Its for the stepson they asked for game protection I say no. 5 minutes later at home open it up as its sealed press the plastic bit to get game out easy as always and bit of the plastic on the disk cracked where it slots into game case.
    So I popped down to the store and the lad that is serving has to ring the manager who says to call back tomorrow. The lad that served me says to him it looks like damaged goods and that they sell them sealed and basically not there problem but call tomorrow and Manager will be in a better position to help me. Any Thoughts on this problem? Do I have any rights as a consumer where I bough a faulty good and should get a replacement?
    Here is a picture of a similar disk I found on the web

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

You do have consumer rights, but expect them to humm and haw and try to wrangle their way our of it

If you have a receipt and bought it from them new, then they should replace, repair, refund. In that order I think. Even if its pre owned fact, the game isn't a week old, should get a replacement.

Hopefully I can get it replaced interesting to see how much fuss they will come out with

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

They can absolutely **** off, so what if they sold it sealed? Are they saying that if anyone who buys anything at all that comes in a box and then opens it and finds it defective has no comeback? Nope, **** them.

• Here's my experience with GameStop in the last month;

Purchased Shadow of Mordor in Smyths...for 64.99 on PS4. Had it for about 3 - 4 weeks.

Traded it into GameStop and received 69.99 trade in credit with the level 3 card.

To be honest sometimes the trade in can be very reasonable, they attempt to balance this out with the high retail prices and the loyalty buzz.

If you bought the COD disc from them brand new, I can't why they wouldn't give you a refund, thats just silly. Go back and speak to a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hopefully I can get it replaced interesting to note how much fuss they will come out with

It was cracked or it cracked when you tried to remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Varik wrote: »

Good question,
    I have never, in some 22 years of buying CD/DVD based games, have seen a cracked disk in a sealed pack.
    I've seen plenty of disasters when it comes to preowned, from all sellers, and it pays to check the disk at the counter before leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

My God lads, this topic is going round in circles!

Gamestop are a shop, retail store, they are in it to make money, if they offer you 'disc insurance' just say no thanks. Simple. I have NEVER met a staff member in any gamestop in Ireland that repeat the speal to me after I say no thanks. It's for mammys and daddy's that have no idea about that stuff, duh.

Gamestop staff bullying you? Give me a God damn break lol, they are staff in a shop! They don't give a sh!te how much you spend with them over however long.

I don't shop in gamestop because they open all the new games so to me a new game from there is second hand.

Again, stupid topic is extremely stupid, get over you sensitive self and SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If he is telling the truth both would count as a defective product not fit for use. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision cheaped out and went for lower quality disc manufacture that could lead to that happening. Either way you would be entitled to a refund or replacement. You also wouldn't need disc cover, which is a total rip off IMHO, since this is covered by Irish consumer law.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If he is telling the truth both would count as a defective product not fit for use. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision cheaper out and went for lower quality disc manufacture that could lead to that happening. Either way you would be entitled to a refund or replacement. You also wouldn't need disc cover, which is a total rip off IMHO, since this is covered by Irish consumer law.

Agree.

It shouldn't matter if the case is cracked or the disk itself.
    If the product is in it's original packaging and unopened then all contents of the product should be as per factory condition and working.

If not then it's deemed as product defect and has impact on the overall product quality. I know this from work.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If he is telling the truth both would count as a defective product not fit for use. I wouldn't be surprised if Activision cheaped out and went for lower quality disc manufacture that could lead to that happening. Either way you would be entitled to a refund or replacement. You also wouldn't need disc cover, which is a total rip off IMHO, since this is covered by Irish consumer law.

If they did that it wouldn't be just one guy with an issue, if he cracked it then it's accidental damage and not covered.

• Varik wrote: »
    If they did that it would be one guy with an issue, if he cracked it then it's accidental damage and not covered.

Where is the fairness in this?
    GameStop have no way to determine if the disk / case was broken by the consumer or in the factory / transport.

This should all be covered by consumer law I thought?

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Where is the fairness in this?
    GameStop have no way to determine if the disk / case was broken by the consumer or in the factory / transport.

This should all be covered by consumer law I thought?

Meant to say wouldn't rather than would.

If it is damaged by the customer then where is the fairness to the retailer, if it goes to the small claims court the judge could put the onus on Gamestop or state that he should have check.

From the sound of this,from what he's written it did break as it was opened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If they did that it wouldn't be just one guy with an issue, if he cracked it then it's accidental damage and not covered.

If he cracked the disc taking it out of the case using the proper method then the disc is not fit for its intended use and fully covered by Irish law. If its due to poor quality discs and boxes (which can happen) then it's not really accidental damage, especially if it was the first time out of the box. According to Irish law the complaint is with the retailer, it might not be fair but the retailer can then make a complaint to the supplier as well.

Took it out as normal not with a hammer or anything looked over it before I took it out quick glance pressed middle and took disc out. Was looking at second disk had first disk in hand and looked at it noticed crack. Between DVDs and games well over a thousand I have opened and never had a problem even the worst game defiance its as tight to get out with pressing the middle and that hasn't cracked. I'm down after 2 the manager is sound too talk to so id imagine I will have no problem im not looking for money back just a product fit for use.

• Took it out as normal not with a hammer or anything looked over it before I took it out quick glance pressed middle and took disc out. Was looking at second disk had first disk in hand and looked at it noticed crack. Between DVDs and games well over a thousand I have opened and never had a problem even the worst game defiance its as tight to get out with pressing the middle and that hasn't cracked. I'm down after 2 the manager is sound too talk to so id imagine I will have no problem im not looking for money back just a product fit for use.

If the disk is Blu-Ray there's no way you could have broken it without considerable force. Sounds a definite defect to me.

Standard 360 disk

• Advertisement

• Standard 360 disk

Ah soz x360 thought it was X1.

Still DVD's are fairly durable. Should not be an issue when removing the disk unless you used a crowbar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One of the halo limited editions were defective a few years ago for a lot of people in many different games stores discs became loose in transit and were damaged beyond use, it can happen.

Which is why they should replace his disc for him no problem.

Ya remember that I bought my copy of halo limited edition in England in argos and there was a rattle in the box one of the disc was loose but there was no damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

My local gamestop is awesome. While I dont buy as much as I used to I normally shop in gamestop if I buy the game physical, I dont preorder in there much anymore I find myself pre ordering on my ps4 I like the pre load system . I even went as far as to buy the psn codes to buy my copy of destiny digitally. The people that work there know me by name and have a great knowledge of games and i even play games with them on the odd occasion. I do see how the prices in the store are more than i would like but sometimes its great to walk down the road and pick up a game i would not normally play as a spur of the moment buy. Also they know me enough not to offer some things like the game protection as they know me and how well i keep my games, they also like to hear if i got something elsewhere cheaper. I agree with other people on here if you dont want to shop in gamestop go somewhere else cause you can get games so much cheaper other places but there is the odd diamond in gamestop. Assassins Creed 3 freedom edition for 20 euro was a great deal i found there last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

My God lads, this topic is going round in circles!

Gamestop are a shop, retail store, they are in it to make money, if they offer you 'disc insurance' just say no thanks. Simple.

That would be no problem but I have had numerous encounters where I literally had to politely decline it three times until they got the message. To ask once is ok, their told to do that but to keep asking when I've said no is really off putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Last time I was in a GameStop is was mostly for the novelty of being in a physical game store.

So quaint!

:pac:

I love physical games, I hope they always make them. That is to say, there is a market for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One of the halo limited editions were defective a few years ago for a lot of people in many different games stores discs became loose in transit and were damaged beyond use, it can happen.

Was that Halo 3? Have a limited edition, looked at the discs recently and both were cracked because the disc holders became loose! Still readable though. Of course, the fact that we have 3 copies of Halo 3 and several copies of ODST in the house...not a huge loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've defended poor old Gamestop at various times on Boards, but I was disgusted with what I saw in the Tallght branch on Saturday.

They've taken the WiiU section off the wall! Booo!

And to make matters worse, they seem to have replaced it with feckin soft toys!

For shame!!

• Advertisement

Sleep ye noble prince :(

So just back. Pleasant experience manager had a look at it seen the problem asked did I play it like this I said no as it could shatter he went on to say crack didn't go to the disk just the plastic so there was no force used and said it can be changed no problem. Asked did I want game protection I said no felt a bit guilty after getting game exchanged, but 70 euro is expensive enough

So just back. Pleasant experience manager had a look at it seen the problem asked did I play it like this I said no as it could shatter he went on to say crack didn't go to the disk just the plastic so there was no force used and said it can be changed no problem. Asked did I want game protection I said no felt a bit guilty after getting game exchanged, but 70 euro is expensive enough

Shock Headline!

GAMESTOP CAUGHT GIVING DECENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!
    STAFF MEMBER SACKED AT REVELATIONS!

GAME INSURANCE NOW TO BE OFFERED A MINIMUM OF 8 TIMES DURING TRANSACTIONS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Shock Headline!

You're doing it wrong!

Gamestop caught giving decent Customer Service; or did they?
    We'll give you the inside scope on how Gamestop say one thing in public and another in private in our exclusive scope of what's actually going on!

Come with us as we see the real Gamestop and the truth behind the closed doors!

Nody wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong!

Gamestop caught giving decent Customer Service; or did they?
    We'll give you the inside scope on how Gamestop say one thing in public and another in private in our exclusive scope of what's actually going on!

Come with us as we see the real Gamestop and the truth behind the closed doors!

You didn't pimp you text number, twitter, or Facebook page and ask people to tell you what they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Shock Headline!

If you ever quit your day job you would do well in either political propaganda or PR. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Shock Headline!

Why are you so defensive of gamestop of all things? What's your vested interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Poor Gamestop get an awful time. You'd swear they brought it on themselves or something.

Why are you so defensive of gamestop of all things? What's your vested interest?

No vested interest here.
    I go where the bargains are, simple as, but I have had good experiences and bad ones at every retailer I've ever used, GS is no different.
    I picked up Contact for the DS in GS this morning for a fiver, the guy wanted to sell me insurance for a euro and I said no thanks..... that was it.
    I am not going to go in there all defensive and wait to argue if the insurance topic is raised.
    That said, I'd mention it to him if it was offered again.

And, as for my day job, it's a doozy and I only have my hobbies to keep me rocking along on an even keel.
    A CNM2 in the field of ID, looking after people with challenging behaviour it's a job that could wear a guy out, if it wasn't for Bayonetta and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 cynicaljam

Right so while we all have our keyboards out let me tell you someone worse than GameStop.
    CeX are robbing people blind, their ENTIRE stock consists of used products. They would buy a system from you and sell it for 200+ more, then buy games from you and practically double the price and put it back on the shelf. I myself haven't bought anything over a tenner there.

But I noticed a scheme one of my friends was doing, so i thought I'd try it. Back in the day when the Collector's Edition meant something, i was gonna buy the Buccaneer Edition of Assassin's Creed IV for €19.99 while it was on sale and then sell it to CeX for €39.99, I felt like bending them over for a change. I went to do this six times in a row until I walked out with a profit, then I **** you not; I seen the staff of the Onni CeX walk in like the seven dwarfs all carrying Xbox and PlayStation copies of Assassin's Creed Buccaneer, guess who recently sold their entire stock? (GameStop, just around the corner from them.)

These clever clogs figured out my friends plan before it could be put to action and they had the audacity to sell them for a higher price even though the cheeky ****ers only paid €19.99 for them. Are you's having a laugh? Nobody screws you worse for price than CeX. Face it lads.

Advertisement