Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Shop assistant said to me today that staff have to meet certain sales targets in regards to pushing insurance for disc protection...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I brought far cry 3 for ps3 up there recently and I loved how they were trying to convince me to buy a 2nd hand copy instead of a new copy for 16, I told them no thanks.p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Shop assistant said to me today that staff have to meet certain sales targets in regards to pushing insurance for disc protection...

Thought you were barred?

Am looking into something regarding these fcukers, I would like to organise a boycott day where no one goes near them either in store or online, thinking the first week of December perhaps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Once again, repeating this for the nth time, if you think the prices are too high, don't shop there.
    If you call in a see a bargain, snap it up.
    The range in GS over Smyths is far better, both in new and preowned stock.
    That's the massive benefit to GS.
    Their preowned prices seem pretty decent once you don't look for the recent releases, they tend to be only a fraction cheaper than new.
    But if you buy new in GS no one is pulling the wool over your eyes, the prices are on the front of the box, you choose to buy or you choose not to.
    Xtravision, Smyths, Tesco, there are plenty of choices for buying new releases so don't be an idiot and spend money where you get the best value.
    And if it has to be bricks and mortar and no one but GS stock it then GS it is, get over yourself.
    And that's the thing,
    Get over it!
    Gamestop aren't robbing you blind.
    None of them are.
    Upfront prices.
    You pay for what you want.
    If you don't want to buy them then either live without or get elsewhere.
    Either way please stop trying to convince others that GS are somehow out to steal or rob poor ignorant games players. You do yourselves a disservice.

Thought you were barred?

Am looking into something regarding these fcukers, I would like to organise a boycott day where no one goes near them either in store or online, thinking the first week of December perhaps.

They barred me instore and I wrote a stinker of an email and area manager rang me apologise for manager and unbarred me I was like you are so good lol

My receipt for console is gamestop I had no choice but to go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

cloud493 wrote: »
    Yes but as has been pointed out, they are a business to make money, if people will pay the prices then.

I get that and i'm not trying to convince anyone they are robbing people but wouldn't it make more sense to have the prices closer to other retailers?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Once again, repeating this for the nth time, if you think the prices are too high, don't shop there.
    Their preowned prices seem pretty decent once you don't look for the recent releases, they tend to be only a fraction cheaper than new.
    But if you buy new in GS no one is pulling the wool over your eyes, the prices are on the front of the box, you choose to buy or you choose not to.
    Xtravision, Smyths, Tesco, there are plenty of choices for buying new releases so don't be an idiot and spend money where you get the best value.
    And if it has to be bricks and mortar and no one but GS stock it then GS it is, get over yourself.
    And that's the thing,
    Get over it!
    None of them are.
    Upfront prices.
    Either way please stop trying to convince others that GS are somehow out to steal or rob poor ignorant games players. You do yourselves a disservice.

There's nobody trying to convince anyone of anything

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was that directed at me? I just thought it was cheeky of them trying to sell a 2nd hand game for 4 euros less than a new one,I actually didn't mind paying 20 for it new, I wasnt trying to put anyone off buying in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure a business is a business. It would be odd if the staff didnt try to sell you crap :p I work in a non games related retail shop, and I still have to try and push crap onto people they don't want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CEX has the most baffling prices of all, €395 for a second hand Xbox One without Kinect?

You can get a brand new one with a game for the same price...

Who is buying them? :confused:

• Advertisement

CEX has the most baffling prices of all, €395 for a second hand Xbox One without Kinect?

You can get a brand new one with a game for the same price...

Who is buying them? :confused:

It's trade business mate nobody pays cash in cex.... Do they???

This has been a long time coming and I am not sure it is even the right place to post this.

I would be a person that wants this shower gone, these guys screwed me over blindly for the last year, lots of their staff have a serious issue with me for a long time, I got barred last summer by a previous area manager who now no longer works for them and a store manager (that has since been demoted to a smaller store) for reasons still completely unknown to me, any and all staff that have ever worked for these rats call me BUZZ even people I have never met, they are bullying nasty people and I would like nothing more than to see them closed and gone for good.

I was singled out amongst all customers and banned from all stores except one which to my knowledge is completely illegal unless they have taken me to court, so yes I would say to one and all don't give these bullies your money

I agree (specially with RB) in principal, but whining on a forum does nothing. Vote with your wallet, and they have to change, adjust, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Angel Knightess

Personally I think games are overpriced everywhere and its one of the reasons I don't really bother with games much any more unless its something I really want. I know a lot of time and effort goes into making most games but the prices of the games themselves and some of the add-ons are insane. As for gamestop they do have a great range and in fairness I don't think they're all out to rip people off. There was a situation a few years back when I went to buy a console and the guy told me to leave it for a week as they were slashing the prices. He didn't have to say that. He could have sold me the console and I would have been none the wiser.

I think its been discussed on a different thread games are actually getting cheaper :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I think its been discussed on a different thread games are actually getting cheaper :p
    Hellz yea! €5 for 13 games less than 4 years old? :D

BRAND NEW releases for €25!?

Tis but a golden age for the master race....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

the prices of the games themselves and some of the add-ons are insane.

You're either very young or have a bad memory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

How did you two get barred if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Was that directed at me? I just thought it was cheeky of them trying to sell a 2nd hand game for 4 euros less than a new one,I actually didn't mind paying 20 for it new, I wasnt trying to put anyone off buying in there.

8% less than new cost is what people are willing to pay according to research. Remember, it's not a car, there's no wear and year or lack of reliability once you're not buying scratched media

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Still not shopping here, and loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

And that's the thing,
    Get over it!
    None of them are.
    Upfront prices.

Best post in the whole thread. It's a shame that it's more fun to bitch and moan over and over and over and over......

I bet a lot of people are hypocritical as **** when it comes to gamestop. They will bitch about new game prices, but then always come in to buy bargains or trade in games. Like always, only bad stuff is worth talking about, all good stuff does not matter.

COYVB wrote: »
    8% less than new cost is what people are willing to pay according to research. Remember, it's not a car, there's no wear and year or lack of reliability once you're not buying scratched media

Well that's fair enough if other people are willing to pay it but just really annoyed me for some reason.

I will buy pre owned, no matter how much cheaper it is, unless theres an online code or something, or the box is knackered. Any saving is a good saving.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I will buy pre owned, no matter how much cheaper it is, unless theres an online code or something, or the box is knackered. Any saving is a good saving.

Yeah man, I generally agree. Do whatever you can to get the game as cheap as you can. Outside of trying to steal it from someone or do something illegal lol!

I generally shop agressively if I want to buy a game - both online and in stores. I'll also trade in games i haven't played in 2 weeks.

Argos is killing Gamestop on prices. I bought Sunset Overdrive for 58 and Advanced Warfare for 53 in Argos (58-5 euro voucher for buying Sunset Overdrive). Those games were 70 and 75, respectively, in Gamestop. But people are clearly willing to pay those prices! It's not robbery or cheating, it's business!

Persoanlly, those prices used to be fine when you could trade in 2 semi-decent games and get the new games for 9.99, and I used do that a lot. But now, no top titles go into that deal and the games you trade in are all top-tier new releases. Bayonetta 2, Sunset Overdrive, Shadows of Mordor, Advanced Warfare. Four games where Gamestop would usually have received my business, but didn't.

Their trade in prices are also shocking. I asked for a trade in price for a PS4 and it was about 140 or something ridiculous. CeX were offering 320. Cash.

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot since they introduced an inept customer loyalty card, but that's just me. For the most part, the staff are all really nice (in Limerick anyways), but we all have to look our for our money! I'd like to give them my money but when the game is 20 euro cheaper 100 metres away, I really can't! They used to get 80-90% of my business up until I bought a PS4 and an Xbox one from them. I'm not sure if I have bought a game from them since then (bar Mario Kart * Special Edition :/

TLDR - Gamestop the business are bad, staff are nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure the number crunchers in GS are well aware of their prices and how they compare to others.
    You'll probably find they sell more through trade in deals than anything else, otherwise they would just match the competition price for price.
    I've never seen anyone barred from a store who didn't walk themselves into it, basic manners when dealing with staff or customers should be a given and both sides of the counter should be aware of that.
    I have seldom have had an ignorant sales person in any shop I've used but I have dealt with plenty of ignorant people both in person and on the phone who I have dealt with both as a staff member in sales and in my day to day career.
    Gamestop are a business, they are there to exploit market need to the best of their ability and get you to spend as much as possible with them without driving you off.
    The same is said for ever business in the world.
    Gamestop have a different business model to their competitors but they all are after the same thing, the money in your bank account.
    Don't kid yourselves.
    And don't imagine they are your mates, they have your back, they owe you a good deal.
    They don't.
    And if you can't face that you need to grow up.
    It really is the difference between adults and children.

Anyways, seems like this thread is just a ranting stage for people.
    I don't think there's much new here.
    Just the same old same old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm sure the number crunchers in GS are well aware of their prices and how they compare to others.
    You'll probably find they sell more through trade in deals than anything else, otherwise they would just match the competition price for price.
    I've never seen anyone barred from a store who didn't walk themselves into it, basic manners when dealing with staff or customers should be a given and both sides of the counter should be aware of that.
    I have seldom have had an ignorant sales person in any shop I've used but I have dealt with plenty of ignorant people both in person and on the phone who I have dealt with both as a staff member in sales and in my day to day career.
    Gamestop are a business, they are there to exploit market need to the best of their ability and get you to spend as much as possible with them without driving you off.
    The same is said for ever business in the world.
    Gamestop have a different business model to their competitors but they all are after the same thing, the money in your bank account.
    Don't kid yourselves.
    And don't imagine they are your mates, they have your back, they owe you a good deal.
    They don't
    And if you can't face that you need to grow up.
    It really is the difference between adults and children.

Anyways, seems like this thread is just a ranting stage for people.
    I don't think there's much new here.
    Just the same old same old

You take that back, they said they were my friends :(

Being mate-y with someone makes someone more eager to spend money in a place :pac:

You take that back, they said they were my friends :(

That's it though.
    Most companies are trying to strike up loyalty with their customers, but ultimately it's just a façade, and not in some horribly deceptive way, because no one should imagine they want anything but your money.
    They get in the stock we want, we buy it from them, that's that.
    They sell it for more than we are prepared to pay, we go elsewhere and buy it there.

So, really, talk of being taken for a ride, being robbed by a games vendor are simply hyperbole and should be put well behind us, in our childhood.
    Some people just seem obsessed with it though.

This has been a long time coming and I am not sure it is even the right place to post this.

I would be a person that wants this shower gone, these guys screwed me over blindly for the last year, lots of their staff have a serious issue with me for a long time, I got barred last summer by a previous area manager who now no longer works for them and a store manager (that has since been demoted to a smaller store) for reasons still completely unknown to me, any and all staff that have ever worked for these rats call me BUZZ even people I have never met, they are bullying nasty people and I would like nothing more than to see them closed and gone for good.

I was singled out amongst all customers and banned from all stores except one which to my knowledge is completely illegal unless they have taken me to court, so yes I would say to one and all don't give these bullies your money

That's a little harsh. isn't it?
    And why were you banned, exactly?

Honestly though,
    If they were selling Mario Kart 8 for a tenner less than everyone else, you and every other complainant on this thread would be in there buying them up, complaints forgotten.

You should probably avoid using any kind of real world name here too.
    Never a good idea.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be there as I am banned, really don't know why tbh no one will answer my calls and the email I got was confusing to say the least and yes I probably shouldn't have used that B word as we know where that can lead, I am on edge atm for personal reasons and shouldn't have vented here on such a mundane topic.

Advertisement