Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Would GameStop take the new Call of Duty and Destiny (unopened with plastic still on) off my hands and give me Assassins Creed Unity and GTA V for them? Anyone ever traded unwanted brand spanking new games before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Very unlikely. Unless you got a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

mutley18 wrote: »
    Would GameStop take the new Call of Duty and Destiny (unopened with plastic still on) off my hands and give me Assassins Creed Unity and GTA V for them? Anyone ever traded unwanted brand spanking new games before?

I traded in a new game a few years ago and they took it, I don't think they will let you trade them for new ones tho, probably just take it as the trade 2 games in get a new one for 9.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

A lot of places won't take a wrapped game in. Best very is pull they old "my mother got me these here for my birthday but I already bought them as digital downloads. She threw can't find the receipt. Can I return them?"

Usually works, but not always. If they take it they'll likely offer you full store credit as new games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

mutley18 wrote: »

Officially they are second hand, they will be opened to check they are intact anyhow.
    But they aren't a library, there's no exchange, they'll sell the games as preowned regardless.
    So, no, they won't do the deal you suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

Im done with gamestop now. Sick of there outrageous prices and every time I go in to buy a new game now, the same man who I think is the manager in my local one is always trying to pressure me into buying the disk protection every time. I wouldn't mind if he just asked me and left it at that but he asks me several times am I sure I dont want it over one transaction.
    Does anyone know if the staff get a bonus for getting people to get the disk protection cause the way this man is you would swear he is on a mission to get people to buy it!

Its a business. It'd be weird if they didn't try to sell you extra stuff ;p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If you've already refused disc protection, and they ask a second time, stare blankly at them until they want to move on with the rest of the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

polarax wrote: »
    Im done with gamestop now. Sick of there outrageous prices and every time I go in to buy a new game now, the same man who I think is the manager in my local one is always trying to pressure me into buying the disk protection every time. I wouldn't mind if he just asked me and left it at that but he asks me several times am I sure I dont want it over one transaction.
    Does anyone know if the staff get a bonus for getting people to get the disk protection cause the way this man is you would swear he is on a mission to get people to buy it!

They do it because its there job and they want to keep it. Also he's not "pressuring" you! :pac: All you have to say is no.

Fair enough if you don't go there because there too expensive (and they are) but i think you're pushing it with that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The staff are obliged to offer the protection and will get reprimanded if they don't push it.
    And, once again, if you don't like the prices, the service, the attitude, the shape, size, smell or number of spatial dimensions of your local gamestop then

GO AND SHOP SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Advertisement

Not sure why you're getting so touchy about people moaning about Gamestop on a thread designed for people to moan about Gamestop.

Yeah, they should stop shopping there if they are going to moan, and maybe they will.

I'm sure everyone has used boards to have a go at something they engage in, and maybe still engage in, so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The way they blatantly up the game price for the big launches is just taking the piss, it really is. I will never get another thing in there unless I am BADLY STUCK. The PS4 wireless headset is €100 in there, only €89 in Smyths.

Hate the place I do.

Gladly give my €€€€ to Xtravision and Symths. Xtravision always give better trade in value too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The staff are obliged to offer the protection and will get reprimanded if they don't push it.

It's rare I buy games these days thanks to a fortunate professional persuasion, but when I do I head to EB Games, which is GameStop over here. The issue with where I live is that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, drops the price of games for launch. There are no deals to be had, and I've got a bit of a problem with the other game vendor close by me, so I don't shop there any more.

But when I do, the folks at my local EB know not to ask me about disk protection. I had a chat with a guy who turned out to be the manager there before, and basically told him that I'm a bit of a bell-end when it comes to that stuff, and for sport I like to put sales staff in a sticky situation where, when feeling so inclined, I'll play a little game where I tell them that if they try to upsell me on anything I'll walk out without completing the transaction and go to Walmart instead.

He found it quite amusing to be honest, told me he was the manager, and that if everyone did that they wouldn't have to try to push it on people, which they don't particularly like doing to begin with. At the time there were a couple of sales assistants in the shop, and they've happened to be the only ones there whenever I've gone back, so since that conversation they have a chuckle and say "I won't bother asking about the other stuff" and ring me through.

I fully concede that I'm a complete ass-hat for screwing with them like that, but it's the little things that amuse me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Grayditch wrote: »
    If you've already refused disc protection, and they ask a second time, stare blankly at them until they want to move on with the rest of the transaction.

Excellent idea

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

CEX do good deals, dirt cheap usually, but most likely second-hand, it is unfortunate :/

my xbox one was faulty and I had to return it to gamestop... hated going in to the store tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 polarax

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    They do it because its there job and they want to keep it. Also he's not "pressuring" you! :pac: All you have to say is no.

Fair enough if you don't go there because there too expensive (and they are) but i think you're pushing it with that one.
    I have to say no to the man several times every single time i go in to the place!! He is trying to force it on customers! He asks me about 5 bloody times whenever I go into get a game and then when I repeatedly tell him no he follows with the questions of why don't I want it! I have never gone into a shop where the shop worker has hounded me so bad to buy something and yet the game protection is only €2 i think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭hardweir

The reason staff are pushy with disc protection is because all gamestop stores are in competition with one another.Every week a list of all stores disc protection sales are emailed out with sales in order from high to low.
    Anyone in the bottom 10 will invariably get a phone call from their district manager asking why they are in the lower section of the list and what they are going to do to get out of it for next week.

Staff have no choice in the matter.

Not sure why you're getting so touchy about people moaning about Gamestop on a thread designed for people to moan about Gamestop.

Yeah, they should stop shopping there if they are going to moan, and maybe they will.

I'm sure everyone has used boards to have a go at something they engage in, and maybe still engage in, so what.

People can moan about anything they please.
    Bad service whatever.
    Good for them.
    But when they bang on again about how they were robbed by the prices there it's just nonsense, for the reasons described.
    The helpless attitude, as if the customer has no choice but to obey a businesses decrees with no alternatives, just fatalistic bull.
    And if people expect to be listened to like their opinion has weight maybe they should behave like the grown ups do.

Bad service whatever.
    Good for them.
    But when they bang on again about how they were robbed by the prices there it's just nonsense, for the reasons described.
    The helpless attitude, as if the customer has no choice but to obey a businesses decrees with no alternatives, just fatalistic bull.
    And if people expect to be listened to like their opinion has weight maybe they should behave like the grown ups do.
    With all due respect you have a cheek preaching your opinion onto others whilst basically telling others to stop moaning and in a round about way telling us we are not acting like grown ups.

The truth is people want to talk about this why would you not want people to discuss the bad practices and terrible value in gamestop?

Btw no disrespect meant here you just irked me :/

• Advertisement

Bad service whatever.
    Good for them.

Are you keeping track of these people, is it the same ones complaining about the same thing happening to them over and again, or is it just the same complaint from different people that's getting you so irritated?

Sometimes people make the trip in to Gamestop, get shafted offguard, but ultimately willingly, just so they can leave with the game they're excited about. Of course they're part of the problem, but you have to ask yourself if you've ever moaned about something on here that you could have avoided.

Whatever about Gamestop not being for these people, maybe this thread isn't for you.

hardweir wrote: »

Staff have no choice in the matter.

Seeing as how choice is being championed so heroically in this thread, the staff have the choice to leave if they don't like being made push useless disc insurance on people beyond the first refusal.

I did give staff grief in the past over it. I don't care if they are told/made do it, they're my point of contact and the ones hassling me and getting paid to do so.

I don't feel a bit sorry for them getting grief back, it's a ****ty tactic to get more money from parents who don't know better. Gamestop is such a hole.

Why do we shop in gamestop then?
    Like seriously, not as a snarky comment, but why do we give them our custom? I mean 90% of the time, I think they're ****, but then soon as I see they've got a good price on one particular game, I hand them over my hard earned cash.
    Although I've been defending the choice bit, I haven't changed my opinion on them, but actions speak louder than words. No more gamestop. Even if its a really good deal, no more. If everybody did it, things would change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seeing as how choice is being championed so heroically in this thread, the staff have the choice to leave if they don't like being made push useless disc insurance on people beyond the first refusal.

I did give staff grief in the past over it. I don't care if they are told/made do it, they're my point of contact and the ones hassling me and getting paid to do so.

I don't feel a bit sorry for them getting grief back, it's a ****ty tactic to get more money from parents who don't know better. Gamestop is such a hole.

Giving staff grief over this is a complete a-hole thing to do. Yes they have a choice, it's sell disc insurance or lose their job. The staff aren't the ones you should be angry with.

Wow.
    Nice.
    You're probably right though, I've made a point and no sense in repeating it ad nauseum.
    But, I think the point remains a good one.
    Again, I've no issue with any complaints about experiences had in dealing with shops and online sellers of games or anything else really
    But I would hope people can tell the difference between monopoly and ample choice, the latter of which is true of games retailers, and that this choice always lies with the customer, who can vote with their feet if they don't like a service.
    Truth is, despite their prices being high, GS do offer a thing few others offer, trade ins.
    You can go to CEX but only buy other preowned stuff.
    So, if you want to buy new titles and use your unused games as currency then GS is the only real choice.
    Smyths do it but not to the same extent.
    In this regard GS really do have a de facto monopoly, and so people are right to complain that they feel hard done by when offered a pittance for something they feel us worth considerably more.
    The only choices then are to take your stuff away with you and sell it on Adverts or similar.
    So, perhaps people have cause to complain about the meagre return from trade ins but, it has to be said, this ire should be directed towards the company rather than the staff, as they set the prices rather than the counter minions!
    And, full disclosure, I worked in Gamesworld back in the 90's before they were sold onto Gamestop. The soul was somewhat drawn from them with that sale tbh, with individuality seeping away and staff discretion on trade in prices evaporated. Still, some good times were had, I worked there on my day off from the regular job

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Giving staff grief over this is a complete a-hole thing to do. Yes they have a choice, it's sell disc insurance or lose their job. The staff aren't the ones you should be angry with.

Well then they're being paid to be rude by pushing beyond the first refusal. When I say grief, I really mean, cutting them off politely as possible before the spiel, just to save them and me time. If they're going to persist beyond that, I'd be less polite.

So clearly staff have a choice on weather to cut their losses with a customer they know does not want disc insurance, or they can push again a second time. Some, infact most staff would drop it after the first "No thanks". But the ones that keep it going, deserve a sterner "No".

Like I said, I don't shop there anymore but I am glad there's a thread that might give people the push to do the same.

Gamestop arent even the worst for pushing rubbish, that award would go to Maplins and I do sometimes have to swing in there for work related emergencies.

Jesus, they're not sweatshop workers we're talking about here. I had to sell reward cards in Game, but I didn't badger people.

Wow.
    Nice.
    You're probably right though, I've made a point and no sense in repeating it ad nauseum.

I'm not trying to say stop posting in this thread because you've already made the same point, everything that's said on the thread can be argued one way and properly, which you have done, but getting irritable with people on a thread like this is... Spitting in the wind.

There's plenty of threads and posts that I know are just not going to be good for me.

"Aren't Joy Division ****e?", "The new Robocop is better than the original", like... It's hard for me to just let people be so wrong, but... yeah. For my own sake, I do.

"Aren't Joy Division ****e?", "The new Robocop is better than the original" , like... It's hard for me to just let people be so wrong, but... yeah. For my own sake, I do.

Are there misguided fools out there with such notions?
    Deaths too good for 'em!

I do prefer 80/90's New Order to Joy Division though....

See, I'm not even going to go all capslock on that....

Right now...

• Advertisement

I liked the new robocop and didn't think much of the 80s version, does that count?

Advertisement