Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I agree going nuts at staff is a ****ty thing to do but believe me the store managers are ruthless in treating staff like **** if they dont badger to sell the insurance. i found their managers to be rude and they talk to young lads terribly i heard a manager in the tallaght store telling a young kid to get the f out if he wasnt buying anything.. now in saying that i am sure some of the managers are ok but they are heavily dependant on store figures for bonuses etc.. and with that are ruthless. i returned a faulty console years ago and manager could see an issue straight away but he wanted to check the wifi problem at home.. i was like eh no thanks my credit card is linked to the account on console...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Here if people sbould stop shopping in Gamestop of they don't like it, the same applies to those working there.

There's no excuse for going nuts at staff over this, but sometimes you need to be stern if you want to get in and get out without playing the drawn out charade over useless disc insurance.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Here if people sbould stop shopping in Gamestop of they don't like it, the shame applies to working there.

There's no excuse for going nuts at staff over this, but sometimes you need to be stern if you want to get in and get out without playing the drawn out charade over useless disc insurance.

it is a case of respect needed from both sides customers should respect staff and staff should have the upmost respect for customers.. btw i have to say the staff in my local gamestop are basically moulds of the manager... which is not a good thing

I think people are taking my grief comment too literally and that's probably my fault. I'll tell the staff that I don't appreciate being asked the same question twice and I'll tell them what I think of the whole disc isurane racket.

There's nothing personal or unnecessary there but if they wanna push things, they'll get my reasoning.

Well, not anymore obviously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

cloud493 wrote: »
    I liked the new robocop and didn't think much of the 80s version, does that count?

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

..... I'l go back to the corner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I liked the new robocop and didn't think much of the 80s version, does that count?

There is no hope for the future of humanity........:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is no hope for the future of humanity........:(

As long as someone says "actually it wasn't that bad" there'll be a need for a decent vantage point and a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I thought it was a decent movie. Well worth the price of admission. But then, I watch everything and say the same thing.

The Room and troll2 have redeeming qualities......:p

I see a lot of movies, and theres far worse this year than robocop :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I see a lot of movies, and theres far worse this year than robocop :pac:
    But to say the original is trash...... :mad:

I didnt say trash, I said 'I didnt think much of it' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

The original is a classic, next you'll be saying the newer Die Hards are good films and the original isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Won the new aliens game for ps4. Not my bag. Went to gamestop . 20 Euro trade in value. Went to hmv 30 Euro trade in.

gamestop is a last resort.

They are always more expensive than Argos and hmv to buy games from. Or trade games in.

Sure cex woulda given you 38 cash :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

What is the game insurance even for? One guy said to me it was because laser burn is so prevalent on consoles. Being no expert on laser technology, I'd be highly surprised if the lasers in the consoles have the ability to burn a disc. Maybe they do but it seems dubious to me.

And even then, I can't imagine those circular scratches happen on their own for no reason. Either a broken component or fecking around and moving the console while it is reading the disc. And that means the least of my worries would be one scratched disc.

What is the game insurance even for? One guy said to me it was because laser burn is so prevalent on consoles. Being no expert on laser technology, I'd be highly surprised if the lasers in the consoles have the ability to burn a disc. Maybe they do but it seems dubious to me.

Haha. They really are shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

And even then, I can't imagine those circular scratches happen on their own for no reason. Either a broken component or fecking around and moving the console while it is reading the disc. And that means the least of my worries would be one scratched disc.

I think in the majority of cases its sold to parents who are buying a present, most people would take their chances. I can see the point of it as it apparently covers everything but I get the feeling its the people who wrap the games in protective layers would buy it. Another reminder why digital downloads are the future.

if they are duping people into buying it because of laser burn ffs what a shower of lowlives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I might be wrong as I never had to do it myself and only read about it on the internet but if you have a disk that isnt working wont the publisher replace it for 5 euro or something? You send them the disk and they'll return you a brand new one (Just the disk, no case/manual)

Would make the disk protection a bit worthless.

• Advertisement

Laser burn is when the laser assembly comes in contact with a spinning cd/dvd when some twit moves, typically, a 360 from one orientation to another, flat to upright or vice versa.
    Not sure if the PS3 had the same issue, but I don't think it was as popular to flip from upright and flat.
    I recall a bunch a feckers actually flogging a table of 360 games at a market, looked about 20 or so. I knew the games were dodgy but took a chance. They giggled to themselves as people, including kids, spent their money on the stuff. All I know is none of them worked, not a one.
    Hope they get something unpleasant growing in their colons.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Quick question for anyone bought Call of duty Advanced Warfare 70 euro rip off in gamestop. Its for the stepson they asked for game protection I say no. 5 minutes later at home open it up as its sealed press the plastic bit to get game out easy as always and bit of the plastic on the disk cracked where it slots into game case.
    So I popped down to the store and the lad that is serving has to ring the manager who says to call back tomorrow. The lad that served me says to him it looks like damaged goods and that they sell them sealed and basically not there problem but call tomorrow and Manager will be in a better position to help me. Any Thoughts on this problem? Do I have any rights as a consumer where I bough a faulty good and should get a replacement?
    Here is a picture of a similar disk I found on the web

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

You do have consumer rights, but expect them to humm and haw and try to wrangle their way our of it

If you have a receipt and bought it from them new, then they should replace, repair, refund. In that order I think. Even if its pre owned fact, the game isn't a week old, should get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Hopefully I can get it replaced interesting to see how much fuss they will come out with

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

They can absolutely **** off, so what if they sold it sealed? Are they saying that if anyone who buys anything at all that comes in a box and then opens it and finds it defective has no comeback? Nope, **** them.

• Here's my experience with GameStop in the last month;

Purchased Shadow of Mordor in Smyths...for 64.99 on PS4. Had it for about 3 - 4 weeks.

Traded it into GameStop and received 69.99 trade in credit with the level 3 card.

To be honest sometimes the trade in can be very reasonable, they attempt to balance this out with the high retail prices and the loyalty buzz.

If you bought the COD disc from them brand new, I can't why they wouldn't give you a refund, thats just silly. Go back and speak to a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hopefully I can get it replaced interesting to note how much fuss they will come out with

It was cracked or it cracked when you tried to remove it.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    It was cracked or it cracked when you tried to remove it.

Good question,
    I have never, in some 22 years of buying CD/DVD based games, have seen a cracked disk in a sealed pack.
    I've seen plenty of disasters when it comes to preowned, from all sellers, and it pays to check the disk at the counter before leaving.

Advertisement