Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued 2 week old kitten

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

DBB wrote: »
    Canvassing will disqualify :P

I consider myself warned ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I'm liking the Mac references in addition to the Survivor/Rocky/Eye Of The Tiger ones I gotta say.
    Tough one... :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm still rooting for Dingo (or Meryl Streep is it turns out to be a girl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

He looks like a Kevin to me....! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Magenta wrote: »
    He looks like a Kevin to me....! :P

Just found this thread and I'm loving it.. well done op,what a fantastic job you're doing..
    I'm voting for Kevin also. My son's cat was called Kevin, who died last week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

MADDOX: , from the Welsh personal name Madog, meaning "little fortunate one"

so im going for Maddox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

jimf wrote: »
    MADDOX: , from the Welsh personal name Madog, meaning "little fortunate one"

so im going for Maddox

Oh now I want him named Madog!
    Can you imagine......I have one pet...Madog, a cat.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Oh now I want him named Madog!
    Can you imagine......I have one pet...Madog, a cat.

now that you put it that way I wonder will I start again
    jaysus who wants to call their cat madog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Well that escalated quickly....my son wants to call him Finnbar Cobblepot.

This should be a bit of fun to round off a great thread.

I can just imagine you trying to call him in for the night after a few pints if you called him finbarr cobblepot

you havin the few pints now not the cat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

damagegt wrote: »
    My son wants to call him Finnbar Cobblepot.

Your boy is a little genius, he DOES look like a Finbar! I'd vote for Finnbar Cobblepot, no competition! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I can just imagine you trying to call him in for the night after a few pints if you called him finbarr cobblepot

you havin the few pints now not the cat

Finbarrsh Cottlepobsssssh....push pussssh pushh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Finbarrsh Cottlepobsssssh....push pussssh pushh.

Copbarrr Fittlepotssshh... *Hic*...
    Finpot Pubblebarr.... *stumble*..

No,no Its all up to you lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I think Finbarr Cobblepot is the best name of the lot! :D Definitely a top contender, I love odd names- My ex's nephew named our hamster at the time "smudgebumble" and it was perfectly apt for the little lady :)

maybe if you don't remove his essential little bits we might be able to suggest the name lester

after lester piggot and we all know what he did for a living

I had a hamster that lived in the sleeve of my ex's jacket.It would eat the fingers off her every time she put it on.He was called Sean Shingles.He ate through the floor of his cage and then the carpet/floorboards and was never seen again.

God Im having awful time trying to sort this video/picture nonsense.All my videos are uploading upside down now,no matter what program I use to rotate them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

MAXIMUS. The moggy who started as a ball of fur. The ball of fur who became a kitten. The kitten who defied the odds. MAXIMUS MAXIMUS MAXIMUS. All hail the moggies:-):-):-). Great thread:-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Love the name, but poor thing....

keep them coming.......

• Advertisement

I had a hamster that lived in the sleeve of my ex's jacket.It would eat the fingers off her every time she put it on.He was called Sean Shingles.He ate through the floor of his cage and then the carpet/floorboards and was never seen again.

God Im having awful time trying to sort this video/picture nonsense.All my videos are uploading upside down now,no matter what program I use to rotate them:mad:

I had an ex and a crocodile wouldn't survive in the sleeve of her jacket

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

after lester piggot and we all know what he did for a living

Tax dodger?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

Don't worry we'll turn our phones/laptops upside down if we need to, more vids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Rory (Raory). His Roaring for his Mother/food saved his life because you found him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Finbarr Cobblepot will be getting my vote. I just woke my husband up laughing :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I think I've made my choice clear.

But in case I haven't: Boardsie plz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

MAXIMUS. The moggy who started as a ball of fur. The ball of fur who became a kitten. The kitten who defied the odds. MAXIMUS MAXIMUS MAXIMUS. All hail the moggies:-):-):-). Great thread:-)

Are you not entertained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Are you not entertained?

MAXIMUS: I will win the Boards people. I will give them something they've never seen before:-)

CLAWDIUS. HOLD. HOLD:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I had an ex and a crocodile wouldn't survive in the sleeve of her jacket

I am going to tell her you said that :D:D:D I just woke kids upstairs laughing.

My vote is to name kitten Fezzik from the Princess Bride.

The kitten is strong enough, and resilient enough to be a giant. And probably more importantly - we have a 12 week old kitten at the moment. They are utterly clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I think we should call him Gimmie........just because everyone in here wants him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I reckon Elwood, after the younger Blues brother (who was also abandoned as an infant)

http://vimeo.com/104565618
    You can see his little shake in this video.

Can anyone tell me how I can embed a vimeo video ?

WOW! some people stayed up late.........New home,Im looking at you here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://vimeo.com/104565618

Can anyone tell me how I can embed a vimeo video ?

There's no support for embedding Vimeo videos.

awww .I had to be different,didn't I .

Thanks Spears.Would you care to suggest a name for the mighty beast ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Lovely colours on him :), nice program for a kitten to watch :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Reminds me of our cat.
    He was also adopted at 2 weeks and had to be hand reared.

He turned out great. Big, fairly friendly ginger cat now.

Just one thing though. If he scratches or bites you, react by making a noise to show it hurts and immediately withdraw attention.
    Our guy initially was way too rough with people and I think it was because of a lack of cat siblings and a normal cat upbringing.
    After we all made big noises when he bit or scratched people, he eventually learnt not to use claws and teeth on humans during play behaviour. For a while he was literally injuring people by doing things like lunging at people while purring!
    We just agreed a loud hissy cat noise and it worked a charm. Limits were very quickly established.
    He's all purrs and rubs nowadays and knows not to use claws on our skin. He's big into tummy rubs and playing generally.

He was hand reared, bottlefed and started out smaller than the palm of my hand and is now able to stand on hind legs and reach the table... Fairly big cat!

He's extremely interactive, seems very intelligent and has very much made the house home. He was also extremely easy to house train and figured out the cat flap in a matter of minutes. He followed that by also figuring out door handles!!

My only other tip is be very consistent with words anything to do with food (especially chicken) will be learnt!
    Within a month he understood the significance of "dinner" and his name.
    He's now expanded that to a whole load of understood phrases.

Where's (name)? Results in him going to get that person.

Goodnight - he goes to his bed!

Go into the kitchen ... He does that but under serious protest if he's somewhere more comfy.

He also responds to the doorbell by hurtling through the house to the door to check who it is and he'll greet you in the driveway.

Genuinely turned into a very cool cat.

To be honest I can only see a wobble, more than a shake... to me he seems still a bit unsteady on his wittwe wegs, 'specially with a full tummy... but maybe I just need glasses... or a few extra hours sleep...

Stayed up late, got up early, people woke me up in the early hours... what's the difference? I just need a life, and stronger earplugs... :D
    On that note, may I add BOGART or BOGIE to the list, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

He just looks like a little Merlin the Grey. Wizard if I ever saw one, he cast a spell on all. Will go on to become one of the Great Cats ever. (my three excluded, no cat could ever beat them :P - but he comes next ^^)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Reminds me of our cat.
    He was also adopted at 2 weeks and had to be hand reared.

He turned out great. Big, fairly friendly ginger cat now.

Just one thing though. If he scratches or bites you, react by making a noise to show it hurts and immediately withdraw attention.

Our guy initially was way too rough with people and I think it was because of a lack of cat siblings and a normal cat upbringing.

After we all made big noises when he bit or scratched people, he eventually learnt not to use claws and teeth on humans during play behaviour. For a while he was literally injuring people by doing things like lunging at people while purring!

We just agreed a loud hissy cat noise and it worked a charm. Limits were very quickly established.

He's all purrs and rubs nowadays and knows not to use claws on our skin. He's big into tummy rubs and playing generally.

He was hand reared, bottlefed and started out smaller than the palm of my hand and is now able to stand on hind legs and reach the table... Fairly big cat!

He's extremely interactive, seems very intelligent and has very much made the house home.

He was also extremely easy to house train and figured out the cat flap in a matter of minutes. He followed that by also figuring out door handles!!

My only other tip is be very consistent with words anything to do with food (especially chicken) will be learnt!

Within a month he understood the significance of "dinner" and his name.

He's now expanded that to a whole load of understood phrases.

Where's (name)? Results in him going to get that person.

Goodnight - he goes to his bed!

Go into the kitchen ... He does that but under serious protest if he's somewhere more comfy.

He also responds to the doorbell by hurtling through the house to the door to check who it is and he'll greet you in the driveway.

Genuinely turned into a very cool cat.

Ah now! He's better trained than my dog!! Good job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Stinjy wrote: »
    Ah now! He's better trained than my dog!! Good job!

He can still be very moody though. I wouldn't classify him as a super friendly cat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

MAXIMUS: I will win the Boards people. I will give them something they've never seen before:-)

CLAWDIUS. HOLD. HOLD:-)

We need to remake Gladiator with kittens

Im just going to repost all the images until I get this sorted.
    IMG_20140819_123112_zps77c38e6f.jpg

IMG_20140819_123223_zps18fe6a69.jpg

IMG_20140820_122151_zps34d0a2b9.jpg

IMG_20140821_091051_zps7c198fa2.jpg

IMG_20140821_143252_zps776a21ef.jpg

IMG_20140822_153438_zps9188ea37.jpg

photo1_zps260b69f0.jpg

photo1_zps110929b8.jpg

photo2_zps6cb9eef7.jpg

photo2_zps86f8ad46.jpg

photo3_zpsdd40d610.jpg

photo4_zps07b5bb83.jpg

photo5_zpsd7c6266d.jpg

photo_zps636eed1c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

damagegt, your upside down videos reminded me of my little terrorist who did a four-legged version of Riverdance on my keyboard one time, resulting in my screen turning anti-clockwise by 90 degrees! I nearly had a kitten myself!!! It was easily remedied once I found out how but panic wasn't in it for a while there. He got himself banned from the office for that but eventually wheedled his way back in (I'm a soft eejit) and satisfied himself with sleeping on the fax machine! He's gone now but never forgotten, just as the saying goes, "cats leave pawprints on our hearts". And they're indelible. :)

janmaree wrote: »
    damagegt, your upside down videos reminded me of my little terrorist who did a four-legged version of Riverdance on my keyboard one time, resulting in my screen turning anti-clockwise by 90 degrees! I nearly had a kitten myself!!! It was easily remedied once I found out how but panic wasn't in it for a while there. He got himself banned from the office for that but eventually wheedled his way back in (I'm a soft eejit) and satisfied himself with sleeping on the fax machine! He's gone now but never forgotten, just as the saying goes, "cats leave pawprints on our hearts". And they're indelible. :)
    Ah,there not still upside down, are they ?
    I thought i had all that sorted.
    OK,question time.He kinda smells a bit now and hes taking to only falling asleep on my neck after he eats my face for a bit,which I wouldn't mind if he didnt smell.Iv tried my hardest to avoid accidents at toilet time but.....so what i want to know is it ok to wash/bath him ?

If you care about your arms and face not being ripped to shreds, I probably wouldn't. Personally I've never bathed a cat, despite having had TONS of them in my lifetime; I know that some people do/are able to and I'm always amazed, so I guess it might be a matter of getting him used to the water early, I don't know - I only know that some cats do mind the water very much indeed, and others don't enjoy it but it wouldn't send them into a raging fit. I'd try with a wet baby wipe first - there are some that are water-based, and see how that goes (as you well know it's their mother that usually cleans them and teaches them how to wash themselves, so I'd mimic that mummy cat movement/action when cleaning them).

Yours sincerely,

The slightly weird friendly neighbourhood cat lady

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

New Home wrote: »

The slightly weird friendly neighbourhood cat lady

:) Not one bit at all New Home!!!!!!..........:):):)

AWH shucks, thanks GSW! :o

Now, back to my knitting with cat's hair... ;):D

Ill try the wipes and ill go from there.I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to get him used to the water.Is it ok to force the ice bucket challenge on someone/thing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I guess the smell might be happening because he doesn't have his Mammy around to groom him, and to teach him how to groom himself. I'm not sure how you could get around that, but have you ever licked a cat?

RainyDay wrote: »
    I guess the smell might be happening because he doesn't have his Mammy around to groom him, and to teach him how to groom himself. I'm not sure how you could get around that, but have you ever licked a cat?

Yes..................I mean no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement