Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued 2 week old kitten

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

damagegt wrote: »
    Hello again.Iv been a tad busy the last few days but Im all done now.Well be making the return journey home today so all the hullabaloo can start.
    The naming comp is going great,Finbarr Cobblepot...........Please people:)
    https://vimeo.com/104885619
    20140830_233706.jpg
    20140830_234205.jpg

I predict a tie between finbarr and boardsie and then we have to start all over again bet dbb will be delighted when you ask for another poll ;)
    ok dbb I know see ye all next week lads :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭morgana

OMG he is getting a proper cat now :P - those table legs can be a scary thing! He is going strong now - thanks to the loving care of you :). How great to see him wobble along and enjoying a cuddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Hes gotten so big. Love the background noise its like hes on an epic journey and gets attacked by a giant hand but manages to escape and then walks off into the sunset (table) in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Ohhh squeeeeze. I'm sorry but that's the only intelligible contribution I can make in all of this cuteness. This whole thread is Oh Squeeze!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Damagegt, I think this needs to be your next purchase ;oÞ

9781419706905.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Love it :) All I need now is a book called "Grown men can collect teddy bears too" and my life will be complete :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Alun wrote: »
    Love it :) All I need now is a book called "Grown men can collect teddy bears too" and my life will be complete :D

Ever heard of self-publishing? :D

You're welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Lads, I saw this and I thought of ye!!!...... :)

http://9gag.com/gag/aVQWVqM?ref=fsidebar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

:D:D:D:D:D

Methinks you're right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

New problem,his tail seems to be going bald at the end and it seems to be dry at the very tip.Is this something I should be worried about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

New problem,his tail seems to be going bald at the end and it seems to be dry at the very tip.Is this something I should be worried about ?

You're not cleaning him enough. Lick him more often :p

(Sounds like omega oils to be serious(fish oils))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

I'm not an expert just experience from my own cats... Could be nothing but could be fleas or mange...
    Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can help you. Sorry

OK,I need some advice here.Im starting to run out of time I can spend with him due to other commitments.:( Im toilet and solid training at the moment.At what stage will it be ok for him to be at home on his own for 6-7 hours ?

That's a tough one... He's still tiny and definitely needs company... He's still wobbly on his legs, looking at the last video you posted...
    If you could find someone to call into him while you're gone, that would be the ideal scenario, unless you get another cat or cat-friendly dog with maternal instincts... Sad pathetic case that I am, I used to phone home at lunchtime and I'd let the answering machine pick up so that my kitten could hear my voice, but he was over two months old...

Maybe someone else has some more constructive suggestions for you...

As for the tail, could you please post a picture to give us a better idea?

Well.ill be home for at least another 3 weeks but not much after that.ill get a picture up as soon as i can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

After 3 weeks he should be okay to be left home alone for a whileeen, with my latest fella I crate trained him and when I had to go out he was quite content to stay in his crate with his litter tray, food and a few toys. Mind you this crate was so big I could fit in it so it was more of a play pen but at least I knew he was in a safe space and wouldn't be getting up to mischief or getting hurt when I was out. I used to feed him all his meals in there too so he came to love his crate time. With the balding tail, that could be any number of things but what I would be thinking maybe he isn't getting the full amount of nutrition from the milk anymore? You could try introduce more solids into his diet and see does that help it clear up, unless there's something else like fleas going on but I'm sure you would have noticed them by now!

After 3 weeks he should be okay to be left home alone for a whileeen, with my latest fella I crate trained him and when I had to go out he was quite content to stay in his crate with his litter tray, food and a few toys. Mind you this crate was so big I could fit in it so it was more of a play pen but at least I knew he was in a safe space and wouldn't be getting up to mischief or getting hurt when I was out. I used to feed him all his meals in there too so he came to love his crate time. With the balding tail, that could be any number of things but what I would be thinking maybe he isn't getting the full amount of nutrition from the milk anymore? You could try introduce more solids into his diet and see does that help it clear up, unless there's something else like fleas going on but I'm sure you would have noticed them by now!
    Im picking up the mousse tomorrow ,that coupled with the bottle feeding,feed him before I go out in the morning,leave him with his tray and he should be ok for a few hours ?Would the next 2-3 weeks be long enough to get him used to both the tray and solids ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I only wish you were near me, I would take him as babysitter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

it should be plenty time, as soon as he smells the food he'll turn into a little tiger and start growling if you try to take away his food.

it should be plenty time, as soon as he smells the food he'll turn into a little tiger and start growling if you try to take away his food.

...and mind your fingers... they'll be fair game to him once he smells his dindins... :rolleyes:

I read half that sentence first almost pressed the emergency call button.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    I only wish you were near me, I would take him as babysitter!
    I read half that sentence first almost pressed the emergency call button.

This is like an accelerated version of raising a child.

what about cat food,as in wet food ?Should I just stay on the mousse for a few days ?
    As you can see from my manic posting Im a tad freaked out !

• Advertisement

This is like an accelerated version of raising a child.

Yep, pretty much, except for the flea treatment and the de-worming tablets... although, in some cases...:eek:

As for the food, I'd say it depends on how many teeth he has... I'd probably start with the mousse, and when he's used to that I'd slowly add to it other solid kitten food so that his tummy gets used to it... The mousse itself should have some indications on the package regarding age/amounts/etc - one would hope...

what about cat food,as in wet food ?Should I just stay on the mousse for a few days ?
    As you can see from my manic posting Im a tad freaked out !

has he been eating already?, apologies i missed a page or 2 of this thread

oh ok i gather you havet started him with food yet.
    Get the royal canin kitten moose. That will keep him goig for a few weeks. Put a small bit on your finger and see if he takes to it. Then you need to put some on a saucer or something. It will be a messy affair but only give him enough to fit on a teaspoon at first. He's had constipation issues a week or 2 ago so you need to be careful with his little belly.

has he been eating already?, apologies i missed a page or 2 of this thread
    No not yet.Im only picking up the mousse tomorrow.

Ok,I freak out a bit when I dont have a plan.Mousse for a few weeks,gradually moving to kitten food and bWorming.When should I have his first vet visit ?

I think he should be ok for a while, until it's vaccination time and then neutering... did your friend - the girl who works at a vet's and who saw him the other day - give you any indications?

• Advertisement

I didn't ask her.I was so worried about other thing at the time and shes back to collage now.

I'd be careful regarding the worming and defleaing, it would be best to bring him to the vets or get your vet nurse friend to help you with that.
    They can be wormed now but id leave it another week or 2.
    regarding the fleas...Have you found any unwelcome lodgers in his coat. Have a look for fleas, as sillymango said you would of seen them by now as they multiple fast, youu can tell he has them if theres loads of little flea droppings in his fur. Also fleas usually means worms too. Check his cute little ears for mites too while your at it. They will look like specks of dirt. Google is your friend

Great.Just checked him over there and I didn't find a thing.Right,feeling much better about it now.Cheers guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Relax and try not to worry too much!:) 3 weeks is loads of time to get him used to the tray and moved from the bottles onto the food. Around how old is he now? I've lost track! Have you already started with the worming? If not you could pick up some parazole when getting the mousse and start him in that too. Vet visit, his first vaccines should be around 8-9 weeks with a booster 2-3 weeks after so you shouldn't need a vet before that unless he gets sick. Then neutering is normally around 6 months though some vets do early neutering around 12ish weeks. Am I right in thinking you're in cork? If so the vets in the cat hospital do early neutering!

Great.Just checked him over there and I didn't find a thing.Right,feeling much better about it now.Cheers guys.

Happy days so.

Thanks Silly.Hes around 4 weeks now.Just one more question is it ok to leave him get to full size before I neuter him or would that be irresponsible?

just a crazy thought any chance he is using his own tail as a little soother especially the very tip

jimf wrote: »
    just a crazy thought any chance he is using his own tail as a little soother especially the very tip
    That thought crossed my mind too... :pac:

jimf wrote: »
    Not that Iv seen.If I move or talk anywhere near him he wakes up straight away.Ill get a pic tomorrow.The phone is great at night.

He will be growing till hes about a year old, so i wouldnt leave it that long, by that time he might of developed the characteristics of a tom cat by marking his territory and his pee will stink to high heaven, the earlier the better, 3, 4 ,5 6 months?
    dont leave it any longer or he could go missing on you or he could get into fights and be killed or he'll pick up an infection from doing you know what, the list is endless.

nuetering wont change him, it will make him happier as he wont have sex on his mind 24/7, its a safe operation, particularly for the boys.

• Advertisement

He will be growing till hes about a year old, so i wouldnt leave it that long, by that time he might of developed the characteristics of a tom cat by marking his territory and his pee will stink to high heaven, the earlier the better, 3, 4 ,5 6 months?
    dont leave it any longer or he could go missing on you or he could get into fights and be killed or he'll pick up an infection from doing you know what, the list is endless
    nuetering wont change him, it will make him happier as he wont have sex on his mind 24/7, its a safe operation, particularly for the boys.
    Awww the poor fella,it sounds like hes going to be missing out on all the fun.If you threw boozing in there it would sound alot like my 20's

As for the neutering, with mine I waited until he was around 6 months old, but by then his urine was remarkably pungent... and I really didn't want him to start marking his territory around the house - he was an indoors cat, not that he liked it but I had no choice at the time. The only trouble was that the vet we went to did an awful job on him, he was very similar to the one who spayed your poor dog... but the vet I went to from then on was fantastic. Other cats we had at another time were neutered in the morning, came home not a bother on them, and were playing happily by the afternoon. He-who-shall-soon-be-named will be just fine! :)

dont leave it any longer or he could go missing on you or he could get into fights and be killed or he'll pick up an infection from doing you know what, the list is endless.

that's a serious mistake I made with ours he was the most contented cat ever until them females starting flaunting themselves at him and dragging him away from home for days on end against his will

anyway once I decided to lets say empty his suitcase he is a lot more content and at home and shur theres no point leaving home with an empty suitcase anyway

Awww the poor fella,it sounds like hes going to be missing out on all the fun.If you threw boozing in there it would sound alot like my 20's
    Why, did your parents bring you to the vet too? Actually, don't answer that... :D

New Home wrote: »
    Why, did your parents bring you to the vet too? Actually, don't answer that... :D

I knew someone would pick up on it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

If you need somewhere to secure him for a while whilst you nip out, may I suggest the bath!
    All joking aside we used it in the past in a similar position. Bed at one end and litter tray at the other.
    You can line it with a fleece blanket or towel and he'll be safe as he's too small to climb over the sides.

On the neutering, I'd be conflicted myself. I used to believe in getting them done as early as possible as I've seen toms continue to spray post op if they had already learned' the behaviour. I have noticed toms neutered early not growing as big - I guess related to different hormone levels if neutered very young.

Have you give any thought as to whether you'll keep him as an indoor only cat? You'll be a nervous wreck if you let him roam!

On the neutering, I'd be conflicted myself. I used to believe in getting them done as early as possible as I've seen toms continue to spray post op if they had already learned' the behaviour. I have noticed toms neutered early not growing as big - I guess related to different hormone levels if neutered very young.

Have you give any thought as to whether you'll keep him as an indoor only cat? You'll be a nervous wreck if you let him roam!

One of mine is close to 8 kilos, but he's not fat, he's very long and tall... He was neutered quite early too, but I don't know if that affected his size or not - scary to think he could've been even bigger :eek: - the only thing you'll notice is his voice, it's quite unlike his size :D

If you need somewhere to secure him for a while whilst you nip out, may I suggest the bath!
    All joking aside we used it in the past in a similar position. Bed at one end and litter tray at the other.
    You can line it with a fleece blanket or towel and he'll be safe as he's too small to climb over the sides.

The bath is a great idea.I could never keep an indoor pet.I made a pen for a nephews beadie and brought him out in the garden hunting bugs as much as I could in the summer.No matter how much I care for him I couldn't keep him inside all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭P.o.p.p.y

Damagegt, You have restored my faith in humanity. I hope everything is well with the fluffy baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I would second The Cat Hospital. You will not be better informed about kittens or cats there. I had been to other vets myself but none took the interest as Clare in the Cat Hospital. I have gotten huge advice there.

Advertisement