Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued 2 week old kitten

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

The fact that you won't be keeping him as an indoor cat, I wouldn't leave the neutering too long. They become sexually mature remarkably early, some as young as 4 months. (I would recommend keeping him inside at night though as that's when most accidents happen :( ). The last thing you'd need after all this hard work you put into him is for him to get notions in his head and go wandering after some girls. Neutered males can be a bit smaller than their entire peers but it doesn't make that much of a difference, a lot of it is down to genetics anyway. Just for example, my old cat was unneutered, he was a massive tank of solid muscle, but he stank to high heaven (seriously Tom spray is not a nice perfume to be wearing!), he ended up developing FIV/FeLV from his amorous antics, he also went missing for 10 months on his adventures. My 2 boys I have now were done around 4-5 months and are still a nice size, don't smell, and have never spent a single night out of my house!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

damagegt wrote: »
    Thanks Silly.Hes around 4 weeks now.Just one more question is it ok to leave him get to full size before I neuter him or would that be irresponsible?
    2kg or 5 months; whichever comes first has always been the line from our vets (with certain exceptions in medical cases obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I dont know how well this photo will come out as the screen on the laptop broke and its all in negative.When it rains it pours.Anyway heres a pic of his balding tail.The last 1-2cm are bald .
    http://s26.postimg.org/onivu7eax/IMG_20140903_141023.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for that. To be honest, I can't see it very well, but excluding a skin condition - which would be fairly obvious when looking at the tail - I would stick to what was mentioned before, i.e. that he might not be getting enough nutrients, vitamins and minerals with just the formula, and that he's playing with his tail and chewing off the fur. Does he have bald patches anywhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I dont know how well this photo will come out as the screen on the laptop broke and its all in negative.When it rains it pours.Anyway heres a pic of his balding tail.The last 1-2cm are bald .
    http://s26.postimg.org/onivu7eax/IMG_20140903_141023.jpg

is the baldness progressing down the tail?, or i mean is it getting worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I'd get him on mushed-up kitten food as soon as he is able.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭jimf

New Home wrote: »
    Thanks for that. To be honest, I can't see it very well, but excluding a skin condition - which would be fairly obvious when looking at the tail - I would stick to what was mentioned before, i.e. that he might not be getting enough nutrients, vitamins and minerals with just the formula, and that he's playing with his tail and chewing off the fur. Does he have bald patches anywhere else?

id say poor damaged will have bald patches when he reads the result of the poll :D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

...and damagegt's son will have kittens from the happiness... :D (Pun intended)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is with enormous mirth that I can now reveal to you all, the correct identity for this kitten.
    From this point on, he shall be known as...

FINBARR COBBLEPOTT

As voted for in the Great Name the Kitty Competition tonight...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057279396

Congratulations to the winner Mauzo!, and here's to many a look of confusion on visitors' faces at OP's house :D:P:eek:

thanks dbb for being such a sport and allowing us our bit of grown up madness in naming this little guy and damaged for kicking the whole thing off in the first place by rescuing FINBARR COBBLEPOT

• Advertisement

Oh god! Mr Cobblepots with his poor little tail.Hes in for a life of mystery solving with copious amounts of high jinks.Ill have an official naming festival for him tomorrow.He is a tad occupied at the moment..............sleeping.

is the baldness progressing down the tail?, or i mean is it getting worse?
    nope.Just the first 1-2cm

Oh god! Mr Cobblepots with his poor little tail.Hes in for a life of mystery solving with copious amounts of high jinks.Ill have an official naming festival for him tomorrow.He is a tad occupied at the moment..............sleeping.

don't you dare go christening him on your own expect about 200 boardies to descend on kinsale in the very near future

ps do you do b&b by the way

jimf wrote: »
    don't you dare go christening him on your own expect about 200 boardies to descend on kinsale in the very near future

ps do you do b&b by the way
    No sorry, but have a small boat outside thats covered.I could throw a sleeping bag or two in there and you could take turns ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Hope that now FC is named, we will continue to get his updates. He should even register a Boards account :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Haha, I voted for the Finbar Cobblepot name but I've just realised that with his initials being FC ('Effsee'), when he gets older take care you don't wonder if it stands for Feckin' Cat :D

So I cant for life of me find this mousse.Is there an alternative that I could get until I order it online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

So I cant for life of me find this mousse.Is there an alternative that I could get until I order it online ?

Have you tried mashing up / cutting up the regular whiskas pouches getting him to eat yhe meat if he's able, small bits at a time obviously mixed with what youre giving him now?

Stinjy wrote: »
    Have you tried mashing up / cutting up the regular whiskas pouches getting him to eat yhe meat if he's able, small bits at a time obviously mixed with what youre giving him now?
    No,not yet.I didn't want to in case his stomach wouldn't handle whiskas.But if he is not to young Ill try that.Thanks

Try and get the whiskas kitten, if you can find it. Otherwise try with tiny bits of tuna/salmon/mackerel/sardine/insert other fish name here/ in oil, not brine, and take out as much of the oil as you can. You could use kitchen towel to remove more of the oil too - it's not bad for him as such, but too much might cause you problems with his toilet training, if you catch my drift. Just make absolutely sure there are no fish bones at all.

Also, some vets sometimes stock special food too - in case you haven't tried that route yet.

• Advertisement

Try and get the whiskas kitten, if you can find it. Otherwise try with tiny bits of tuna/salmon/mackerel/sardine/insert other fish name here/ in oil, not brine, and take out as much of the oil as you can. You could use kitchen towel to remove more of the oil too - it's not bad for him as such, but too much might cause you problems with his toilet training, if you catch my drift. Just make absolutely sure there are no fish bones at all.

Also, some vets sometimes stock special food too - in case you haven't tried that route yet.
    I went to three places today and couldn't find the mousse and I hadn't a clue what to get as an alternative.Could I use cooked fresh fish?

Yes, but make 100% sure there are no bones or anything he could choke on whatsoever, and if you can don't use any condiments or salt when you cook it - I suppose you could steam it- then just flake the fish into veeery small pieces, and if the smell doesn't attract him on its own, just touch the fish to his nose/lips, and when he licks his lips to clean them he'll taste the fish and he'll be hooked.

You can also try with baby food, either meat or fish, if you're stuck. Let us know how you get on! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

If you get the Whiskas or Felix kitten pouches try squishing them up before you open them. It takes a bit of work but if you squeeze them enough you'll almost get them to a puree consistency. I always found it much easier than mashing them when open anyway.

Let the weaning commence.

So Iv started with two bottles.One containing the usual formula and the other with the tip of the teat cut off containing a mix of fresh pan fried pollock cooked in no oils,salts or anything else puréed with formula.

Hes also got a small bit of the same mix on a shallow saucer too and it seems to be going well.Hes not a 100% sure of the saucer,he kind has a go at it every now and then when he walks past.On the up side he seems to love the mix in the bottle.I suppose keep an eye on how well his stomach handles it and if all goes well increase the fish content ?

Oh well done! A gourmet meal indeed!

It takes a while for him to get used to the saucer, so don't expect him to take to it right away - having said that, why should he make any efforts in feeding himself when he has his surrogate mammy to do all the work? Maybe with his next meal start with the saucer and a lot of patience, let him eat from your fingers, and then give him the bottle only towards the very end of the feed if you think he hasn't had enough. His mother would have stood up and walked away from him, if he had tried to latch on for a feed after she'd introduced him to solid food, so don't feel too bad if he seems hungry but he's just looking for the bottle; jut insist with the saucer, gradually increasing "saucer-time" with each meal. Be firm, but fair, :)

And yes, definitely, see how his tummy is reacting and then gradually increase the amount of solid food.

Fair play D, you're doing great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

I think I speak for the entire Boards universe when I request/demand an end of week photo shoot of the little guy

willabur wrote: »
    I think I speak for the entire Boards universe when I request/demand an end of week photo shoot of the little guy
    So I present you all a Mr F.Cobblepot or Cobbles as he has become known.
    He dances around for 15-20 minutes after eating,climbs up on to my neck/shoulders,eats my hair/face and proceeds to falls asleep after I walk around for a bit.Im 6"4,I think he enjoys the view.
    https://vimeo.com/105328364
    321123.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Let the weaning commence.
    ... and the kitten poo :D Kitten food is quite high in protein so their poos can be quite, well, pungent shall we say :)

So I present you all a Mr F.Cobblepot or Cobbles as he has become known.
    He dances around for 15-20 minutes after eating,climbs up on to my neck/shoulders,eats my hair/face and proceeds to falls asleep after I walk around for a bit.Im 6"4,I think he enjoys the view.

The only issue I would have with your video is that your meowing is not... up to scratch... :D(see what I did there...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Ha! It's cute now but you wait until he's a fully grown 5kg lump of muscle and he still thinks sleeping on your shoulder is a good idea. Your physio bills will outstrip those for the vet.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while, great job and may ye both live long and prosper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Alun wrote: »
    ... and the kitten poo :D Kitten food is quite high in protein so their poos can be quite, well, pungent shall we say :)
    That is also very much down to the cat; we have one cat who's relatively small, eat relatively little but once she goes you think someone threw a stink grenade into the apartment (you smell it two rooms down). Our other cats who eats far more of the same food and it's simply normal smell like any other cat :(

And this is no matter what food (soft and dry) we tried her on (mainly high quality, no grain but a few with grain ) ><

Another quick one before I head off for a few hours
    https://vimeo.com/105347141

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Aaaw! He's a little hunter! :D he's thriving, well done once again Damagegt. :)

Awwww the little mini stalk!!! He's looking fantastic :)

Awwww the little mini stalk!!! He's looking fantastic :)
    Hes growing so fast now.As for the stalking,I dont wear shoes or sock around the house but that might have to change if he keeps going the way hes going at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 summer_chic

Be careful of letting him think your hand is a toy - when he's grown up it'll hurt !! Use a toy of some sort for him to attack rather than your hands/ fingers direct! he's just gorgeous By the way , congratulations on becoming the proud possession of a cat ! Just do what he tells you and everything will be ok !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Would ya look at Cobbles in mini stalker mode!!! :D

hes really becoming a little cat now the foot placement is gas a real pro

Is it just me, or has Cobbles actually doubled in size, or very nearly so, since the first few days? How much does he weigh now, D? I'm curious... He's like a baby tiger on the prowl... he's absolutely adorable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Reminded me a bit of this:

• Advertisement

Is it just me, or has Cobbles actually doubled in size, or very nearly so, since the first few days? How much does he weigh now, D? I'm curious... He's like a baby tiger on the prowl... he's absolutely adorable. :)
    He sure has and more.Hes 2g short of 500g :eek: Is that big for his age ?I was thinking of cutting a hole in his box so he can get out to use the litter tray or is that a bit early ?Could he walk out of it during the night and not find his way back.Hes in the on-suite at night.

He sure has and more.Hes 2g short of 500g :eek: Is that big for his age ?I was thinking of cutting a hole in his box so he can get out to use the litter tray or is that a bit early ?Could he walk out of it during the night and not find his way back.Hes in the on-suite at night.

Nah, I'd say it's more likely you'll run the risk of finding him on top of your head in the middle of the night, and him deciding that your ear is fair game to try out his newly discovered hunting skills. Besides, if he gets lost he'll definitely call you, and with lungs such as his he'll have no trouble making himself heard. I suppose this could be a good way to get him introduced to the bath tub - you could stick both the litter tray and his newly-opened box in the tub and see how he fares -if there's enough room for both, that way he won't have far to go. Don't forget to put the stopper in the drain - I learnt why it's so important the hard way... :rolleyes:

Ok,time for a bit of DIY and off to bed.Night all.

I understand that the best way to get him to feed from the saucer is for him to be hungry enough to not want to wait for me to feed him so would it be ok to try every second feed from the bottle as,in he gets a saucer of food he eats as much/litte as he wants but no bottle and the next feed the same but I offer the bottle after a period of time so as not the starve him.He wouldnt go near the saucer at the moment if Im in the room.

Yes, that sounds like a plan, definitely wait until he's built up an appetite - it's a bit like with small kids, would they eat a proper dinner when on the table there are also chicken nuggets and chips?

How did the overnight stay in the tub go?

Right ,Ill stick with that for a bit.The tub went well.Cut a hole/flap in his box so he can pop in and out when he wants and he had his tray with him and it all went well no mess anywhere other then where it should be.I think I worked it into something more than what it is.He does climb up my legs now when Im ignoring him. :)

I know the feeling... but next time you rescue a tiny kitten it'll be like second nature to you :)

I also know the feeling of claws on legs - OUCH!! - for that I can only recommend thick jeans... Also, watch your back when you sit down, in a week or so he'll decide to start hunting your back pocket area... Also not fun at all...

We can cover how to correct his behaviour in the next episodes/as the need arises :pac:

I was only thinking that this morning. He's got quite strong and as much as I don't mind him on my hands and feet,I know its only going to get much worse.i suppose itsnothing like training a dog ?

I only had 4 dogs in my life and they were pretty unruly, so I wouldn't be an expert.
    I'd suggest that if he hurts you you hiss at him, much like his mother would do. The other thing I found worked a bit - cats have free will, believe it or not :D - is to get yourself a spritzer/ spray bottle, fill it with water and keep it at hand - even one of those tiny travel ones will do, so you can keep it in your pocket. Then, when he does something bold you spray him - he will not like it, and will stop doing whatever it is and run away; he'll soon learn to associate the bottle with the "ickyness" of water, so that simply the sight of the bottle will make him disappear. Also, you'll have to learn to decipher his expressions, for instance big round eyes with wide, black pupils and whiskers all pointing forward means "I'm ready to pounce, prepare to meet your maker".

This very much depends on the cat, but it's possible that at times he comes up to you for a cuddle, and as soon as you start stroking him he latches onto your hand with claws and jaws, he bites hard and tries to "kill" you by kicking you with his hind paws, and it goes beyond play-fight. With mine, I used to grab a firm hold of his whole ear while hissing at him - like his mother would, but not so hard as to actually hurt him - and he'd freeze immediately and growl, then he'd let go. If he's really pissed off he'd give me a smack back, though, and then he'd go away all annoyed. Another way to avoid all of this is to scratch his spine - especially from the end of his ribs to just above his tail, he'll most likely love it. With mine, I found he'd get really restless and angry and I couldn't understand why, until one day he got x-rays for a kidney problem and we found out someone had broken 6 of his ribs :eek: :mad: so the poor cat couldn't turn around to groom himself properly, and as a result his back was really itchy - since I started scratching his back, his temperament has changed completely and he's a much calmer cat now.

Plenty more where that came from, but this is long enough for now... :o :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't recommend a spritzer bottle, or grabbing his ear or anything like that to discourage behaviour as it will only create a fearful cat. They can be skittish enough as is without doing something to cause more fear! What I did was a sharp loud "ah ah", get up and walk away from the cat so they realise that being too rough = no more playtime. They were quick enough to cop on. If they got too rough again then it was time out, placing them in a room on their own for about 5 minutes. To prevent all this ok the first place when I saw them going into stalker killing hand mode I would either get out a feather toy and tire them out that way, or else have a teddy/kickeroo toy close at hand and just start them wrestling with that instead. They'd get out all their bunny kicking crazyness on the toy and then all the cuddles were left for me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement