Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued 2 week old kitten

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Get a small cuddly toy, the same size as FC.
    Let him take out his aggression and over zealous play with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Get a small cuddly toy, the same size as FC.
    Let him take out his aggression and over zealous play with it.
    What I was doing when he got to rough was just putting him on the floor and walking away,he didnt like that.Iv no teddy but I have socks stuffed with more socks.Id be lost during all this with out socks.The first bit of info Ill give anyone raising kittens is "buy lots of socks" Kittens and socks are like peas and carrots.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Personally I wouldn't recommend a spritzer bottle, or grabbing his ear or anything like that to discourage behaviour as it will only create a fearful cat. They can be skittish enough as is without doing something to cause more fear! What I did was a sharp loud "ah ah", get up and walk away from the cat so they realise that being too rough = no more playtime. They were quick enough to cop on. If they got too rough again then it was time out, placing them in a room on their own for about 5 minutes. To prevent all this ok the first place when I saw them going into stalker killing hand mode I would either get out a feather toy and tire them out that way, or else have a teddy/kickeroo toy close at hand and just start them wrestling with that instead. They'd get out all their bunny kicking crazyness on the toy and then all the cuddles were left for me!

Mine haven't become scaredy cats in the least, but I'm really happy there's another way to train them which isn't as tough - thanks for that SillyMango :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

damagegt wrote: »
    He does climb up my legs now when Im ignoring him. :)

Just be thankful you don't wear tights! I have a cat who creeps up behind me when I'm cooking, then stretches up and grabs me by the behind to get my attention. And it works! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

One of mine has found that when tapping me with her paw and looking at me very seriously doesn't work, the best thing to do is to jump up on my shoulders (while I'm sitting) and start licking/scratching my head. The head scratching works-always....:D I wish she'd just miaow incessantly like the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

sunbeam wrote: »
    One of mine has found that when tapping me with her paw and looking at me very seriously doesn't work, the best thing to do is to jump up on my shoulders (while I'm sitting) and start licking/scratching my head. The head scratching works-always....:D I wish she'd just miaow incessantly like the others.

Can I move in with all of ye. Cos I'm in a flat and I can't have a moggie. And its a disgrace. They are the biggest villains and the most innocent guilty feckers around:-). All hail the moggies and the future rulers of the earth............

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Damagegt, I meant to say: considering Cobbles has quite a long coat that will need to be brushed regularly to avoid tangles (especially when he gets bigger), you might want to get him used to the grooming quite early. Personally, I found this type of brush/slicker to be great, it has some tiny balls on the tips of the pins, so you won't run the risk of scratching his skin, and I know for a fact that my cats loved it, they demanded to be brushed and purred like mad every time. Anyway, see what you think.

Here's another picture - the one I got in the Pets area of my Co-op came as part of a kit with a metal comb, too, and I think I paid around €9 for the set about five years ago, just to give you an indication, but you can probably find something similar online.

New Home wrote: »
    Damagegt, I meant to say: considering Cobbles has quite a long coat that will need to be brushed regularly to avoid tangles (especially when he gets bigger), you might want to get him used to the grooming quite early. Personally, I found this type of brush/slicker to be great, it has some tiny balls on the tips of the pins, so you won't run the risk of scratching his skin, and I know for a fact that my cats loved it, they demanded to be brushed and purred like mad every time. Anyway, see what you think.

Here's another picture - the one I got in the Pets area of my Co-op came as part of a kit with a metal comb, too, and I think I paid around €9 for the set about five years ago, just to give you an indication, but you can probably find something similar online.
    I actually started bushing him yesterday.I left him with my sister for a few hours and when I came back he was covered in food.All the damp clothes in the world wouldnt have gotten it out of his hair.He didnt seem to mind.His tail is all better now,hes started jumping.Im still having trouble getting him to eat from the plate .Can some kittens be later to wean ?

I actually started bushing him yesterday.I left him with my sister for a few hours and when I came back he was covered in food.All the damp clothes in the world wouldnt have gotten it out of his hair.He didnt seem to mind.His tail is all better now,hes started jumping.Im still having trouble getting him to eat from the plate .Can some kittens be later to wean ?

:)

Is it just laziness on his part, or do you think he doesn't recognise the saucer as a food source? If it's the former, then just wait until he's reeeeally hungry to feed him; if it's the latter, and if he does recognise the bottle, then I would put some food on the saucer and some in the bottle, and I would put the teat into the food on the saucer; that way, when he lunges for the bottle he'd be forced to lick the food from the saucer too; after a little while, while he's eating from the saucer, you take the bottle away. I'm not explaining this very well, I hope you understand what I mean...

Ok, silly example - imagine you're squeezing paint from a tube onto a palette...

• Advertisement

:)

Is it just laziness on his part, or do you think he doesn't recognise the saucer as a food source? If it's the former, then just wait until he's reeeeally hungry to feed him; if it's the latter, and if he does recognise the bottle, then I would put some food on the saucer and some in the bottle, and I would put the teat into the food on the saucer; that way, when he lunges for the bottle he'd be forced to lick the food from the saucer too; after a little while, while he's eating from the saucer, you take the bottle away. I'm not explaining this very well, I hope you understand what I mean...

Ok, silly example - imagine you're squeezing paint from a tube onto a palette...
    Im having some real trouble getting him to eat from the plate.Iv tried starving him,putting it from my finger,squeezing it from the bottle on to the plate.Nothing.He wont go near it.I really need him to start in the next few days because I wont be around

Have you tried with different types of cat food, or even bits of cooked chicken? By starving him, do you mean that he comes to you meowing and looking for food from you? Usually just the sound of you preparing his meal should be enough to make him climb your legs to get it straight from the source... Sorry but I can't think of anything else you could do at the moment, if I do I'll let you know...
    Maybe someone else has more ideas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Im having some real trouble getting him to eat from the plate.Iv tried starving him,putting it from my finger,squeezing it from the bottle on to the plate.Nothing.He wont go near it.I really need him to start in the next few days because I wont be around

This might sound a bit mad but does anyone of your mates have a really gentle cat that you can bring Finbarr :D to and let him see the other cat eating. Perhaps he just doesn't know what he's meant to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Maybe try heating the plate a little. We used a warm saucer and then put the food on, I don't know why it worked :pac:

Have you tried with different types of cat food, or even bits of cooked chicken? By starving him, do you mean that he comes to you meowing and looking for food from you? Usually just the sound of you preparing his meal should be enough to make him climb your legs to get it straight from the source... Sorry but I can't think of anything else you could do at the moment, if I do I'll let you know...
    Maybe someone else has more ideas...
    As in skipping meals so hes extra hungry for the next.He runs straight to me but as soon as I put it on the plate he wont go near it.Its the same mix Im giving him in the bottles.Iv cut the teats off so it flows out.

My sister has to cats but id say they would eat him.Ill try warming the plate and see does that help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

What about a flat surface like a place mat? When we started putting food on a plate for a feral kitten he was very wary of it and the food went everywhere so we just put it on a flat surface until he got used to eating off it then gradually moved the food onto a plate, then into a bowl. Worth a shot. He might not like the feel of the plate on his whiskers.

• Advertisement

You're probably already doing this, so apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but you have to show him over and over where the food is, bring him back to his food and make him smell/taste it; also, he's probably used to eat with his head straight, or up, so it might not come natural to him to look down. Perhaps try to get him to suckle the bottle, then slowly bring it down at floor level which he's still suckling it, and then put it on the saucer and make him suckle from there - warming the saucer sounds like a good idea too... Or, if he manages to eat the odd flake of fish,make him smell a few flakes and show him that you're bringing it down to the plate.

Good luck, hope this feed goes better...

What about a flat surface like a place mat? When we started putting food on a plate for a feral kitten he was very wary of it and the food went everywhere so we just put it on a flat surface until he got used to eating off it then gradually moved the food onto a plate, then into a bowl. Worth a shot. He might not like the feel of the plate on his whiskers.

Yep, that too...

I tried warming the plate,tried flakes of fish,bowls,the floor.He wont even lick it off my fingers.Could it just be abit soon ?

I tried warming the plate,tried flakes of fish,bowls,the floor.He wont even lick it off my fingers.Could it just be abit soon ?

He's feisty! :D
    It might be but I guess we can't force poor Cobbles.

Mmh, yes, perhaps he could just be a tiny bit small... It just sounds to me that he's not recognising that as food, yet. It's not an immediate process, it does take a while, a few weeks. You're doing everything right, so you'll probably just need to persist until the penny drops for him... Just wondering, how is he doing, teeth-wise?

I found some links that might come in handy, although you've probably seen them too, but in case you haven't here they are:
    http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/weaning
    http://www.ehow.com/video_4951331_weaning-kittens.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8323323_care-fourweekold-kitten.html <-- This has some indications on doses and frequency of feeds.

Hope it helps... Let us know how it goes, but don't be discouraged!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Could it just be abit soon ?

I was wondering about that myself but I didn't want to stick my beak in again! But, when you think about it, he's still a tiny little scrap of a thing for all his stalking prowess (unbelievably cute, btw) so perhaps he still needs a babysitter for a little while?

Ok,I just had great success.I took the top completly off the bottle and poured the fish paste mix slowly and he laped it up.20ml of formula mixed with half a small fillet of marckeral.Hes now fast asleep on my neck of course.

As for teeth I havent really checked but he definatly has some.I'll do the same again tomorrow and try pour the mix on to the plate and see how that goes.

YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :pac: :) :cool:

YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :pac: :) :cool:
    I know, I didn't know what I would have done next week if he wasn't on solids or somewhere near that. Is it ok to keep him of fish? Will he get enough nutrients from it?

I'd say it is, and I'm sure he'll love it - lucky cat! He'll need taurine for his eyes, at some stage, and I'm not 100% sure that it's contained in fish, but I'll get back to you on that one. If anything is missing from his diet, you'll probably spot it quickly enough, though, like you did with his tail. :)

I'd say it is, and I'm sure he'll love it - lucky cat! He'll need taurine for his eyes, at some stage, and I'm not 100% sure that it's contained in fish, but I'll get back to you on that one. If anything is missing from his diet, you'll probably spot it quickly enough, though, like you did with his tail. :)
    "Fish contain high levels of taurine. The Department of Molecular Biosciences at the School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California Davis reports that Whole mackerel contains 9.295 g of taurine per kilogram of dry weight and Alaskan salmon fillets contain 4.401 g of taurine per kilogram of dry weight"

I have a good supply of fish lets hope he doesnt get picky on what types.Ill get some videos up tomorrow of him jumping around like a lunatic and of him hanging around with the dog.He sleeps on her tail if she gives him half a chance.

There you go then, brilliant! Sounds like Finbarr has everyone smitten...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

There you go then, brilliant! Sounds like Finbarr has everyone smitten...

Great to catch up with our baby Finbarr!....:)

I think from day one he had everyone smitten NH!!...:)

Hope ye are all well lads!! xxx :)

I decided it was so nice I could manage kitty on the apt balcony.....:o....Em, no...."curiosity killed the cat" was not made up by any old fool :eek:...It was such a nice idea though....I managed to do a "Houdini" and save the day.....She is well grounded now!!....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,541 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread needs more pics and videos, please. :)

Great job, btw... still checking this thread daily for updates!

:o....Em, no...."curiosity killed the cat" was not made up by any old fool :eek:...I managed to do a "Houdini" and save the day.....
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Glad to hear she's ok... you must've got such a fright...

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek:
    Glad to hear she's ok... you must've got such a fright...

I've a nice bruise leaning over the balcony while cooing and oohing and doing the "lovey dovey" thing!......My own fault - she's not used to balconys and, as they say, I only turned my back for a minute.......They are like quickfire little minx's!!....:o - My own fault tbh!!....:(

It's a shame, she loves to sit outside, it's just a learning curve for both of us!!...

Kitty-sized parachutes, anyone? :/

As for your bruises... OUCH!!!

As for your bruises... OUCH!!!

:D:D:D

War bruises hold no fear NH!!....:D:D:D

Terrific to catch up and see how lovely this thread has developed!!....:):):)

It's a real kitty lovers dream thread!...:) xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I've a nice bruise leaning over the balcony while cooing and oohing and doing the "lovey dovey" thing!......My own fault - she's not used to balconys and, as they say, I only turned my back for a minute.......They are like quickfire little minx's!!....:o - My own fault tbh!!....:(

It's a shame, she loves to sit outside, it's just a learning curve for both of us!!...

You can get cat netting to secure a balcony, Zooplus sells it. I dont know anyone who has used it but the reviews look ok.

maggiepip wrote: »
    You can get cat netting to secure a balcony, Zooplus sells it. I dont know anyone who has used it but the reviews look ok.

Thanks maggie, but the design of the balcony is awkward, it is a top floor and an elephant could get out of it tbh, it's not the best idea to let her out (albeit with me in tandem) but, as they say, it was a good idea at the time....:(

She is a rescue (but with me in my old house) so used to freedom, just a matter of us getting used to it!!....:)

Thanks for the advice though, :) GSW xxx

You made me remember my first cat (actually little grey's first cat - the first cat ever!) We used to make her a "let's pretend" helmet" from split coconuts at Halloween as a joke............sadly, she outlived her nine lives..........But she was the most amazing little cat who converted one very nervous person of animals!!...

So, she did herself proud!!.......:):)

We should do a Thread of "When did you meet your first love"!!...:D:D:D

It's only a matter of time before we have a "kitty meet and greet".....:D:D:D

We should do a Thread of "When did you meet your first love"!!...:D:D:D
    It's only a matter of time before we have a "kitty meet and greet".....:D:D:D

GSW, you're dangerous... ;)

GSW, you're dangerous... ;)

Ah, sure......It's only for the fun NH.........:p

:D:D:D

Oh god Grey .I hope everything is ok ? as for the pictures.I got hit with a wave while out catching dinner.I thought it was the sun warming my arse but it turns out it was the battery of my phone.Whoops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I've been busy all week but finally caught up with my threads glad lol finbar is doing so well he's become a right lil Hunter :D

Oh god Grey .I hope everything is ok ? as for the pictures.I got hit with a wave while out catching dinner.I thought it was the sun warming my arse but it turns out it was the battery of my phone.Whoops!

Now d, it's all about Finbarr.....stop hogging the limelight!!....:D:D:D:p

....Mmmmh... :/

Three days ago it was "A wave drowned my phone"... what's the excuse now, "The dog chewed my USB cable"? WHERE'S FINBARR??
    We. Need. Photos. Pwetty pweeze... Or at least updates...

Or, in my case, a life... but that's a whole different thread...

I'd say by now Master Cobblepot is catching his own fishies for dinner... ;)

....Mmmmh... :/

Three days ago it was "A wave drowned my phone"... what's the excuse now, "The dog chewed my USB cable"? WHERE'S FINBARR??
    We. Need. Photos. Pwetty pweeze... Or at least updates...

Or, in my case, a life... but that's a whole different thread...

I'd say by now Master Cobblepot is catching his own fishies for dinner... ;)

NH! you read my mind!

I was thinking about kitty today!....

We need photos!!...Please.....:)

Problem: Withdrawal symptoms from lack of Cobbles
    Solution: PICTURES
    Just my hypothesis ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭taytobreath

is he eating solids yet. I've been away from the thread myself so im not sure, i should check the other pages but....

• Advertisement

PREVIOUSLY, ON THIS THREAD:

Last week, our little darling Finbarr was taking to the new food pretty well. Last we heard, Taytobreath, he was on a purée of freshly cooked fish with formula in it, but he was beginning to eat from the saucer.

Now, if only Damagegt posted something we'd have a new episode to watch... Netflix move over...

To be continued...

(hopefully soon) :pac:

...and we haven't even warned him of the dangers of warm engines and tyres in winter for a kitten...

...and we haven't warned him of the dangers of warm engines and tyres in winter for a kitten...

Our first stray had no fur on his back and burned skin from a hot engine. Only a few weeks when we found him, skinny and lonely, he's 10 now and happily sleeping in front of the fire with a full belly, purring away :)

:eek: Poor, lucky kitty... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement