Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued 2 week old kitten

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Never had a cat in a Christmas tree as far as I remember, but two years running we had an iguana in the tree, first year she climbed into the lower branches from above, second year she launched herself onto it from the top of the nearby curtains she was lying on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

hey folks.

So Finnbars all good happy as could be.
    Tusk is still not using the tray.They have been moved,they are cleaned 2-3 times a day,4 different litters have been used.The dog stays away from them.

He wees in them but wont poop.That just seems to be random.He makes no attempt to bury or hide it.He might use it once a day then the rest is all over the house.If it doesn't stop soon,its sad to say but I cant see my sister holding on to him much longer.

Any help with would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmmm, that's very odd. Usually if cats are unhappy with their toileting arrangements, or have any underlying medical conditions like cystitis, they usually pee outside of their box, but are happy to poop in them. In my experience anyway.

What kind of consistency are the poops? If they're very dry he could be constipated. Or maybe worms? Has he been wormed lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭S31

I hope the little guy makes it! Good on you for caring, I am a cat lover myself and I'm so please there are still some kind human beings out there!
    Make sure it is kept warm at all times, a little bit of love goes a long way

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The only things that would spring to mind are:

1. If someone is home with him all day they could pick him up and place him on the litter every time he goes sniffing at corners, just to reinforce the concept of kitty-loo.
    2. Has your sister tried to plug in a Feliway thingymabob? That could help too, if it's a stress thing.
    3. It's possible that Tusk's mum taught him to dig into soil and not into grittier material, so perhaps a tray of soil/earth might induce him to dig there.
    4. Has your sister tried with a litter tray for each cat? Maybe Tusk doesn't like using Finnbar's 'cause he can smells his scent.

If I can thing of anything else, I'll let you know.

Hope the new job is going well for you, Damagegt!

Alun wrote: »
    Hmmm, that's very odd. Usually if cats are unhappy with their toileting arrangements, or have any underlying medical conditions like cystitis, they usually pee outside of their box, but are happy to poop in them. In my experience anyway.

What kind of consistency are the poops? If they're very dry he could be constipated. Or maybe worms? Has he been wormed lately?
    Yup all wormed and checked.They are fine consistency wise.I cant figure it out.I change the litter brand alls good for a few days and then it starts all over again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just thinking - if that's the case, it might be worth keeping a few different types of litter in the house, and change type every couple of days on rotation... It could work...

BTW, from experience, wood pellets are also very good as kitty litter, and a big bag of normal 'stove/burner-type' pellets goes a long way.

New Home wrote: »
    The only things that would spring to mind are:

1. If someone is home with him all day they could pick him up and place him on the litter every time he goes sniffing at corners, just to reinforce the concept of kitty-loo.
    2. Has your sister tried to plug in a Feliway thingymabob? That could help too, if it's a stress thing.
    3. It's possible that Tusk's mum taught him to dig into soil and not into grittier material, so perhaps a tray of soil/earth might induce him to dig there.
    4. Has your sister tried with a litter tray for each cat? Maybe Tusk doesn't like using Finnbar's 'cause he can smells his scent.

If I can thing of anything else, I'll let you know.

Hope the new job is going well for you, Damagegt!
    Hes at home on his own from 9 til about three/four but even when we are home its hard to follow him around all the time.
    I tried the soil thing too when I had no litter for a few days,they didn't like that at all.
    They have their own separate trays but I know finns takes a sneaky one if I wasnt watching.How would could I stop him from using both trays ?

As for the Job Woohoo.Ill be flying out to the Gulf of Mexico 7th of January :)

I never thought of the pellets.Ill try that

damagegt wrote: »
    Hes at home on his own from 9 til about three/four but even when we are home its hard to follow him around all the time.
    I tried the soil thing too when I had no litter for a few days,they didn't like that at all.
    They have their own separate trays but I know finns takes a sneaky one if I wasnt watching.How would could I stop him from using both trays ?

As for the Job Woohoo.Ill be flying out to the Gulf of Mexico 7th of January :)

I never thought of the pellets.Ill try that

You poor thing... It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it... I'll bet... :rolleyes: Woohoo indeed! biggrin.png

For Tusk, there's always the option of teaching him to use the big toilet... Believe it or not, there are lots of videos about it on youtube...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The general rule is ... number of litter trays = number of cats +1, so ideally you should have 3.

• Advertisement

S31 wrote: »
    I hope the little guy makes it! Good on you for caring, I am a cat lover myself and I'm so please there are still some kind human beings out there!
    Make sure it is kept warm at all times, a little bit of love goes a long way
    Before:
    331799.jpg
    After:
    331800.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Before:
    331799.jpg
    After:
    331800.JPG

It does my heart good to see the moggy sprawled out:). I still will never understand how some people don't like them. Cheers for taking care of wee Finbar:). This thread has picked me up on many a dreary day:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

What did you do? Stuff 5 tiny Finbars inside another cat? He is such a brute in no time at all.

Fair play Damage - you went from a left behind dwarf kitty to a mini tiger :) And you've almost converted a real anti-cat person :mad: :p :mad: :p

Hope both you/the job and Finbar both rise to great heights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Before:
    331799.jpg
    After:
    331800.JPG

I have nothing useful or intelligent to say here you have distracted me with cute kitty pictures! Just look at the cuteness!!!!!!!!!

Im picking up a new phone today so Ill have some more pictures and videos up

Im picking up a new phone today so Ill have some more pictures and videos up

YAAAAAY!! :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

You've done a fantastic job of saving a helpless little ball of fur, on the brink of starvation, and turning him into a thriving handsome young cat. He's a credit to you OP.

So heres a few pics.I'll a short video up for you soon too.Tusk really has just turned into a ball of fluff.
    332009.jpg
    332010.jpg
    332011.jpg
    332012.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

great Photos - TUSK is fabulous! I hate to say this, and will probably be lynched by Finbar-fans, but his ears are awfully big!!!!!!!!!!!!????? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

aonb wrote: »
    great Photos - TUSK is fabulous! I hate to say this, and will probably be lynched by Finbar-fans, but his ears are awfully big!!!!!!!!!!!!????? :eek:

Ssssh he'll hear you! :eek:

aonb wrote: »

That's part of his charm, and we'd love him even if he were ugly. :D

(Now, how do you spell 'gremlin' again? And 'mogwai'?? His ears are almost like Gizmo's...)

He grows in the most disproportionate ways.Front left leg,tail, right ear.He was sitting at the window looking at the neighbors cat.He looked so funny.He honestly look like he had been electrocuted.His tail looked a lot like the Christmas tree.I'm sure he will grow into himself.........I hope

He grows in the most disproportionate ways.Front left leg,tail, right ear.He was sitting at the window looking at the neighbors cat.He looked so funny.He honestly look like he had been electrocuted.His tail looked a lot like the Christmas tree.I'm sure he will grow into himself.........I hope

He's like the cat version of a gangling teenager... he'll break hearts when he's all grown up, mark my words... :D

He's like the cat version of a gangling teenager... he'll break hearts when he's all grown up, mark my words... :D
    Hence why hes now called Finnbar Knuckle head

you've got your holiday card sorted D, that one of them under the tree!... both great looking cats.. though tusk looks like he takes no crap and Fin is just a cutey!!

• Advertisement

Stinjy wrote: »
    you've got your holiday card sorted D, that one of them under the tree!... both great looking cats.. though tusk looks like he takes no crap and Fin is just a cutey!!
    Tusk has to be the quietest cat I have ever come across.Iv never heard him meow.He purrs for a second when you pick with up and has the most expressionless face.As for Finnbarr,If I could have shown you him sitting in the coal bucket after a fight with Tusk.

Just a quick update.I didn't get time to get a video uploaded last night and Ill be away now until the 24th so Its going to have to be a Christmas day post I'm afraid.Sorry

That's alright, Damagegt, we'll forgive you just this once. Post or no post, have a happy Christmas. Cuddles to the kitties, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Yup all wormed and checked.They are fine consistency wise.I cant figure it out.I change the litter brand alls good for a few days and then it starts all over again.

Has your sister mentioned this behaviour to the vet? Checking stools yourselves is important, but I would hate if Tusk had an inflammatory bowel condition that went undiagnosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sir....SIR....I believe you've gone back in time & stolen my cat :pac:;)
    31VUmdS.jpg?2

(kovu)
    Rvru3WNl.jpg

• Advertisement

Merry Christmas to Finbar, Tusk and all the moggy lovers and slaves of moggies:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Finbarr and Tusk look great. I myself have a kitten with massive ears :D
    Merry Christmas to all
    Hope Santa Paws came! ;)

Finbarr and Tusk look great. I myself have a kitten with massive ears :D
    Merry Christmas to all
    Hope Santa Paws came! ;)

Or Santa Claws if you've been bad?!? :eek:

Happy Christmas / new year you guys and all your moggies and doggies etc I'm sure they all got spoiled :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Now that Christmas is out of the way I usually think back over the year that's gone, a sort of clearing out in preparation for the year to come. I decided to read this thread again from the beginning, just because it was such a lovely thread the first time round.
    Happy new year OP, Finbar and Tusk!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Happy New Year to all the lovely Boardies on this very lovely thread.

May all your good wishes come true and very best wishes!

GSW xxx :)

May the spirit of this thread continue into 2015 and beyond! :)

Happy New Year folks. I brought in the new year with a few drinks at my sister's house, whilst tickling the belly of a white kitten called snowball. Life is good:-)

Happy New Year folks. I brought in the new year with a few drinks at my sister's house, whilst tickling the belly of a white kitten called snowball. Life is good:-)

I'm more of the view that life's a bitch and then you die... but at least we've got the kitties!!! :D

I'm more of the view that life's a bitch and then you die... but at least we've got the kitties!!! :D

Hahaha. Well the things is, I don't have a kitty, so I have to stalk other peoples homes to get my moggy fix:D

Hi folks. Christmas has been mad busy and I haven't been home much. I did get home for a bit this evening and couldn't find fin anyway. I could hear him tho. Don't ask me how he got in here, he must have opened it himself. I found him a few days ago running around the house with a rasher he had stolen from the fridge while growling at the dogs! 333660.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

He is probably farting on your cutlery. Cats are like that.

Hi folks. Christmas has been mad busy and I haven't been home much. I did get home for a bit this evening and couldn't find fin anyway. I could hear him tho. Don't ask me how he got in here, he must have opened it himself. I found him a few days ago running around the house with a rasher he had stolen from the fridge while growling at the dogs!

:D:D:D:D:D I cannot stop laughing... look at his little face and huge 'I'm-up-to-no-good' eyes...:D:D:D:D:D

You must be busy packing, Damagegt... before you go just make sure you've no stow-aways in your bags...

Ya just getting the last of everything sorted. I'll be gone on the 8th. Good news with tusk too. My sister changed to using wood pellets and it's all stopped.

I swear I thought fin couldn't get any stranger but everyday he surprises me. I came home last week and he had figured out how to get on the counter tops. He just pushed everything on to the ground. Dishes, plants, food.

Ya just getting the last of everything sorted. I'll be gone on the 8th. Good news with tusk too. My sister changed to using wood pellets and it's all stopped.

Great, I'm glad that worked.
    I swear I thought fin couldn't get any stranger but everyday he surprises me. I came home last week and he had figured out how to get on the counter tops. He just pushed everything on to the ground. Dishes, plants, food.

:D He's just making sure you all know who the real boss is.

Actually, that photo reminded me of these:

1.jpg

8f1c09f8ecc1acf1fb50434298b052d9.jpg

You're a handy versatile woman to have around the place NH!!.....

:) xxxx GSW

I'm afraid that's not me (I wish!), that's Aurélia Thierrée, grand-daughter to one Charlie Chaplin, and a brilliant performer. :)

I'm afraid that's not me (I wish!), that's Aurélia Thierrée, grand-daughter to one Charlie Chaplin, and a brilliant performer. :)

:D

I'm glad NH, if you visit us I wouldn't know where to hide the "clutter" if you could do that!!!....:D I hope you had a lovely NY! xxx :)

Hi Damagegt,

Safe trip tomorrow, please give the cats and the dogs one more cuddle from us, and if your sister feels like posting Finbarr and Tusk updates here once in a while, I'm sure I won't be the only one to be delighted about it.

Wishing you the best with your new dream job in the Gulf of Mexico! You lucky sod... :D

Just found out my nephew last finbarr out last night and forgot about him. He hasn't been seen since. The weather is horrible back home. I'm gutted :(.

• Advertisement

OH NOOOOO.... :(:(:(

I'm sure he'll come back, maybe when he's really hungry... he's a resilient kitty...

Advertisement