Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued 2 week old kitten

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yeah, its not his belly you need to rub, its further back than that ;) The mother would do this after every feed, stimulating the kitten to go to the toilet, and cleaning it up at the same time.
    Its ok,I have whole butt rubbing down.I was reading that massaging their tummy when their constipated helps them pass,which it did but not all of it came out.Ill try the water dabbing on the next feed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When you rub his belly, use a clockwise motion, it follows the path of his bowels and should help. Also, try to increase his water intake - even by a little bit - to make the stools softer and easier to pass. The rest, as you said, you've got it down to a tee. :)

New Home wrote: »
    When you rub his belly, use a clockwise motion, it follows the path of his bowels and should help. Also, try to increase his water intake - even by a little bit - to make the stools softer and easier to pass. The rest, as you said, you've got it down to a tee. :)
    Could I add more water to the formula as in half spoon for a full 20ml instead of 10ml or some other mix of measures ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mmmh. Doubling the water intake could be a bit too much, he probably wouldn't get enough nutrients, I think. Perhaps adding an extra quarter or so to one of the feeds to see how it goes - e.g. for a 10 ml feed, add an extra 2 or 2.5ml water - or even giving him a few drops of water in between feeds might help. The poo wasn't VERY dry, was it? And is he weeing enough?

If I was nearer to Cork you'd have a cat sitter no problem. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Try a bit of liquid parrifen for the constipation, mix in about half a ml into the batch you make up, should help things slip out a bit easier. Just be careful not to add too much or he could end up with diarrhoea!

Mmmh. Doubling the water intake could be a bit too much, he probably wouldn't get enough nutrients, I think. Perhaps adding an extra quarter or so to one of the feeds to see how it goes - e.g. for a 10 ml feed, add an extra 2 or 2.5ml water - or even giving him a few drops of water in between feeds might help. The poo wasn't VERY dry, was it? And is he weeing enough?

If I was nearer to Cork you'd have a cat sitter no problem. ;)
    I added a couple of ml more to the formula.If hes looking for something later Ill give him water.Hes weeing loads.It was very dry but defiantly dryer then the first.

Hmmm paraffin.Is that not something from nineteen dickity two ?Could I use any other oils ? I have coconut,several nut oils,olive,sunflower,rapeseed wd40 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Love this thread! Can you put up more pics of little boardsie? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

damagegt wrote: »
    Hmmm paraffin.Is that not something from nineteen dickity two ?Could I use any other oils ? I have coconut,several nut oils,olive,sunflower,rapeseed wd40 :)

good to see you keeping your sense of humour wd40 my arse :P

Love this thread! Can you put up more pics of little boardsie? :)
    Ill get them up for you now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Did you ever think you'd be feverishly checking a thread for updates about cat poop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

hahahahaha, nope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I think it's quite clear the cat should be called Atari.

Ill get them up for you now.
    IMG_20140819_123223_zps18fe6a69.jpg

IMG_20140819_123112_zps77c38e6f.jpg
    th_VID_20140819_123255_zpse1bcb56e.mp4

Click the last one for a quick vid.Ill get one on his next feed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Aaaw! so cute! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Oh, he is ADORABLE!!!!.......

Thanks for the photos d!! :)

Look at him in the vid! Flying along :D

my god I think hes growing by the hour

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Oh the squeeks of him! So cute.

• Advertisement

Look at him in the vid! Flying along :D
    If I could show you a video of him yesterday the difference is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

OH MY GOD!

I actually can't click on this thread anymore

tumblr_lvhuuq55N71qhoyau.jpg

jimf wrote: »
    my god I think hes growing by the hour
    He is,he defiantly is.Near on 10g a day with is alot for something that started off weighing 140g a few days ago.

If I could show you a video of him yesterday the difference is unbelievable.

He's gonna be attacking your shoelaces and somersaulting onto your head from up high before you know it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

OMG he is so cute ! And the difference to the first few shots is unbelievable! He/She will be famous !!
    Thanks for keeping us in the know, cat poop and all :)

Amazing, he/she is deffo a fighter :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

OP you absolute hero :)

Hats off from this pickle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

He's a bright little chap! Mighty set of lungs on him, giving out like mad! Adorable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This is a great thread. Well done OP, You can see that he sees you as him mammy. Lovely little guy. Such a nice story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can't ... stop ... checking .... this .... thread ....

Mr E wrote: »
    Can't ... stop ... checking .... this .... thread ....

you and about 200 others id say have we anyway of telling how many have actually been following this little guys story

maybe if we all thanked the next post from damaged we would get a clue im just glued to it im constantly checking in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

He's definitely turned a corner compared to how he was when you first found him, well done! He's sounding and acting just like a normal kitten of his age now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

what a super thread to read and what a super guy Damagegt is... such a lovely thing to do. I saw this trending a few days ago and was afraid to read on, fearing the worst.. but So far this is just brill, and that little kitty bitty witty is adorable :) . My cat looks like the biggest cat in the whole world after seeing those pics. stay strong lil beaut head (and you damagegt!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Parrifen oil as in the stuff you burn in a lamp, yeah that's from ninteen dickety two, liquid parrifen however can be bought in your local chemist and works a treat for constipation :P

Yep, paraffin is brilliant - unlike the other oils you mentioned, it doesn't get absorbed by the body so it lubricates the stools. It's absolutely safe and highly effective, I've seen it used in severely disabled people - people who suffered complete paralysis - in hospitals and nursing homes too, and it does make a big difference.

liquid paraffin it is then.My boy has arrived for the next few days and hes taken to him.They're both nested up on the couch watching The Hobbit so its off to the shops for some supplies.

ok lads will we all thank the above post please

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

They're both nested up on the couch watching The Hobbit so its off to the shops for some supplies.

You're lucky there is not a couple of hundred Boardies in the garden waiting for updates!!....:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you can get your hands on some Lactulose, I'd actually go for that over the liquid paraffin if possible as it can cause aspiration pneumonia in cats if inhaled. It's not that common but I think it's suggested to use an alternative in felines just in case.

Great thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Awwwww. Such a cute kitten. Absolutely gorgeous and the squeaks from him in the video are adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Aww dear god I'm in love with this kitten, the lttle squeaks :D awww and boardsie sounds perfect , you are really wonderful for caring for her and doing so much, hes absolutely adorable :)

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    If you can get your hands on some Lactulose, I'd actually go for that over the liquid paraffin if possible as it can cause aspiration pneumonia in cats if inhaled. It's not that common but I think it's suggested to use an alternative in felines just in case.

Great thread!
    Oh no! Im only seeing this now.......will he be alright with the paraffin ?Im going to try video his next feed.It quite possibly be the cutest thing Iv ever seen

Oh no! Im only seeing this now.......will he be alright with the paraffin ?Im going to try video his next feed.It quite possibly be the cutest thing Iv ever seen

I was going to cut the lawn but feck it this is far more entertaining :D

He should be, just don't force feed it to him... if you manage to get him to lick it from your fingers, maybe mixed with a bit of the formula, there's way less of a chance that he'll inhale it. And you can always get the lactulose - also brilliant, by the way - next time you pop out. Either way, go easy on the amounts you give him or he will definitely get diarrhoea.

He should be, just don't force feed it to him... if you manage to get him to lick it from your fingers, maybe mixed with a bit of the formula, there's way less of a chance that he'll inhale it. And you can always get the lactulose - also brilliant, by the way - next time you pop out. Either way, go easy on the amounts you give him or he will definitely get diarrhoea.
    would 2 or 3 drops mixed with the 20ml bottle be ok ?

I'd say so, you can always increase the dose at the next feed - keep in mind you've increased the water intake, so things should have improved a bit with that too. Still cheering the two of you on, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I think once you've mixed it in with his milk he should be grand.

Is he doing the cute ear twitching when feeding? I love when they do that, so adorable!

anniehoo wrote: »
    I think once you've mixed it in with his milk he should be grand.

Is he doing the cute ear twitching when feeding? I love when they do that, so adorable!
    Is he what !swinging his over sized paws all over the place.Hes not the most elegant of eaters.

Cant wait to see him feeding☺☺

Cant wait to see him feeding☺☺
    Ill have it up soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

This is a great thread. Showed it to my family. We're all rooting for the little guy/gal :)

Advertisement