Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rescued 2 week old kitten

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

OP, it was National Feral Cat week recently and Feral Cats Ireland have been very active trying to publicise the problems facing feral cats and kittens. They have a Facebook page and I'd say they could probably tell you if there is anyone in your area that practices TNR. They would probably be happy to send you out some leaflets on the importance of TNR for ferals and pet cats too that you could show the lady who is feeding the feral colony. That way you could leave the info with her and let her digest it.

Often elderly people have an outdated idea about animal welfare but she's feeding them so she must care about them and probably can't afford to have them spayed/neutered herself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi all,
    Strictly speaking, whilst it is not permitted to discuss or link to individual rescue groups, I think it's okay of people need to direct the OP to TNR only groups, as there are some out there who do TNR only but do not advertise themselves as rehomers or rescuers of cats, if you can see the difference:o.
    Please bear in mind that we can't permit discussion of any rescue groups, so if you have a TNR organisation in mind that also run a rescue, please recommend it by PM only.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

OP, it was National Feral Cat week recently and Feral Cats Ireland have been very active trying to publicise the problems facing feral cats and kittens. They have a Facebook page and I'd say they could probably tell you if there is anyone in your area that practices TNR. They would probably be happy to send you out some leaflets on the importance of TNR for ferals and pet cats too that you could show the lady who is feeding the feral colony. That way you could leave the info with her and let her digest it.

Often elderly people have an outdated idea about animal welfare but she's feeding them so she must care about them and probably can't afford to have them spayed/neutered herself.
    Thats the thing,I dont want her to think she cant care for them or upset her in anyway.Ill ring that group tomorrow and she what they say.Im sure they deal with situations like this all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

damagegt wrote: »
    Thats the thing,I dont want her to think she cant care for them or upset her in anyway.Ill ring that group tomorrow and she what they say.Im sure they deal with situations like this all the time.

Yeah, they just share information and aren't a rescue but as I said they might be able to point you to someone who can help. Plus the elderly lady probably has no idea that there are groups that might be able to help her with the cats and she might be too embarrassed to ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Ah, I think she is just a lady with a heart who just doesn't like children messing around in case they are messing with the cats in a not good way....I think you'll play a blinderd with her...

Best of luck. :) Big hug to kitty!! xxx

Ah, I think she is just a lady with a heart who just doesn't like children messing around in case they are messing with the cats in a not good way....I think you'll play a blinderd with her...

Best of luck. :) Big hug to kitty!! xxx
    I might call over tomorrow with my slingamagig after Iv talked to TNR crowd .It might ease the tension.Im off to get some zZeds.Thanks again everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

How is she this morning?

How is she this morning?

Hes getting stronger everyday.I got alot more sleep last night,feeds are straight forward,hes drinking 5-8ml a feed,burps then toilet time and then sleeps for the next 3 hrs. He turned 170g this morning too.

I'm feeling pretty confident now that hes going to make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

Aww, that's very encouraging indeed! ANd getting a bit more sleep is not too bad either :) Well done, you two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Hes getting stronger everyday.I got alot more sleep last night,feeds are straight forward,hes drinking 5-8ml a feed,burps then toilet time and then sleeps for the next 3 hrs. He turned 170g this morning too.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family, looks like he will be around for a long time, (fingers crossed)!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It weighs 152g

So from 152g to 170g in 3 and a half days?!

You can definitely pat yourself on the back, OP. :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That's fantastic progress :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Post 286 has now reached 100 thanks - and I'm sure there are plenty more people that are cheering you on silently... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Post of the day :D

I dont know what to say.It was more ye then me.I just followed the instructions and thank you so much everyone for all the help.

Hmmmm I just tried to move him from my chest to the heated box,he didn't like that.He defiantly prefers it in my collar .
    IMG_20140820_122151_zps34d0a2b9.jpg

• Advertisement

THAT'S FANTASTIC!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Aaw. This hits me right in the feels. What a lucky little mite!

Great work, damagegt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Lol I laughed so hard at that video Newhome my ribs hurt glad to here the little mites doing so well congratulations to both of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Great thread. It's great to see people on here giving golden advise to give this little fella a shot at life & it looks like it's going to pay off. Fair play OP this will be a story to tell for years to come.

Smack the Pony was brilliant, you should see their sketches with the dating agency videos, you won't be able to breathe they're so funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

post 286 has now reached 110 and counting this must be the most followed thread ever

def post of the year for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bit of a way to go to beat the record. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Omseamrog

I have been silently following this thread thanks to a heads up from my sister who has been feverishly refreshing the thread continuously for updates over the last 24 hours or so, as have I, my husband and probably half the family! OP you are a credit to humankind and I truly hope (and believe) this wee kitten will pull through. However I am concerned as to what's going to happen once it gets stronger and you get on with your life. How will the rest of us cope without knowing everything that is going on in its life? We have become addicted! May I suggest you start a blog and continue to warm our hearts and keep us entertained? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Has he/she got a name yet?

Mr E wrote: »

Not fair, this has been opened less than a week ago, and that's nearly 3 years old... but still, :eek: YIKES!!

Mr E wrote: »

Uh oh!
    Buzz Killington has arrived
    :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Omseamrog wrote: »
    However I am concerned as to what's going to happen once it gets stronger and you get on with your life. How will the rest of us cope without knowing everything that is going on in its life? We have become addicted! May I suggest you start a blog and continue to warm our hearts and keep us entertained? :-)

KITTY TWITTER! Kwitter, if you will :)

We will all need a support group to cope with our withdrawal symptoms...

Yesterday, while in a veeeeeeery sleeeeeeepy state, I went into the next room to check on the kitten... then I had to remind myself that the kitty WASN'T in the next room of my house, the kitten was on the internet... Oh. Embarrassing, I know.

I have a feeling I might be in need of professional help... Any suggestions? :o

Oh god!This is getting to much for me/us.:) I haven't picked a name yet as I don't know what sex "he" is and for the fact if things went belly up I wouldn't feel as bad.I don't know how that works, but it does for me.

As for a blog.........sur couldn't I just keep adding bits to this ?

Quick question Iv been giving him the liquid paraffin over the last 4 feeds,lets say 40-50ml to help his "movement".
    He had a poop this morning but I think it was just the bit that was stuck,it was hard and dry.Should I stop adding the drops to his feeds now or keep adding them till he has a proper poop ?

I'd say add a few more drops, maybe 6 drops each time you feed him, for a 15 ml feed, maybe increasing gradually until you see some results. And continue with the extra water between meals - I don't mean to sound idiotic, could it be that the formula isn't diluted enough? That could also be a cause for the constipation too...

Also, have you tried with the lactulose yet? That might also be worth a shot, but not at the same time as the oil - either/or. Has your friend - the vet nurse - seen him yet? She might have some more ideas...

• Advertisement

The formula mix is good,One scoop to 20ml of room temp water.Ill increase the drops of oil and continue with the water so.Shes arriving this evening so Ill see what she says.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh god!This is getting to much for me/us.:) I haven't picked a name yet as I don't know what sex "he" is and for the fact if things went belly up I wouldn't feel as bad.I don't know how that works, but it does for me.

CHRIST! My neighbor just knocked down this own dog.

Ah no :(
    Is the dog ok?

DBB wrote: »
    Ah no :(
    Is the dog ok?

Sorry I didn't mean to thank that,I'm afraid not.He ran out out under a bush as he was driving in.

NOOOOOO..... :(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I will require daily video updates of this kitten for the next few months and then make a compilation video with sad/happy music and have little messages pop during the video

Sorry I didn't mean to thank that,I'm afraid not.He ran out out under a bush as he was driving in.

:(
    That's awful. Poor dog. Poor neighbour must feel like crap about it :(

Cormac, is that part of your secret evil strategy to pick up girls? Just wondering...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The poor guy. :(

Cormac... wrote: »
    I will require daily video updates of this kitten for the next few months and then make a compilation video with sad/happy music and have little messages pop during the video
    Its a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

So sorry to hear about your neighbour's dog :(

Any chance we can get a video of the little guy at some stage today??:P

That was pretty rough.I heard the dog squealing and went out to see.I don't really know him,so what do you say ? but you could see there was nothing that could be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Oh no :(

I used to love this thread :( I came for my happy fix! Now I'm sad :(

So sorry to hear about your neighbour's dog :(

Any chance we can get a video of the little guy at some stage today??:P

Kinda reads like you want a video of his dog.Poor thing:(

He'll be awake in a bit and ill show you how much stronger he is at feeding compared to .yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I have been following your thread with interest. Delighted to hear the little mite is doing so well. Fair dues to you for putting the work in. It is very rewarding. I am hand rearing a kitten whose mother abandoned her and three siblings three weeks ago. The other three kittens died unfortunately but Guzzler (she loves her food!) is doing fine now. It was touch and go as she got cat flu but hopefully she will continue to get stronger now.

Well done to you for giving the little one a fighting chance. I hope she brings you years of company.

I bet he still meows with exclamation marks in the end... he's a little bossy thug, I'll bet...

I can't handle the cuteness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Kinda reads like you want a video of his dog.Poor thing:(

He'll be awake in a bit and ill show you how much stronger he is at feeding compared to .yesterday

Oops it does read that way! You know what I meant :)

And we have a proper poop.Thanks god for that.He looked so revealed.Should stop the drops and water now ?

Yippee! Maybe continue with a couple of drops per feed and I'd say he needs the extra water. If it gets too soft, then stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement