Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog seems depressed after other dog dying

• 16-08-2014 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

I owned 2 dogs up until last week when I had to put one to sleep. They slept together in garage and were together all the time. They also played with each other a lot. My remaining dog seems so down in herself now that she is the only dog.

She is getting lots of extra tlc now sleeps in the kitchen and getting loads of attention but I think she is really missing the company. I didn't want to rush into getting another dog but am beginning to think maybe it will help her. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Firstly I'm so sorry you lost your beloved dog. We went through a similar situation a couple of years ago. We had our dog Zowie for about 2 years before we got our husky Ella. They were absolutely inseparable. Sadly Zowie passed away at just 5 and a half from cancer and our husky really didn't cope well. She became very quiet, didn't really want to play and just overall seemed very lonely without her best friend. After a lot of thought we got our gorgeous boy Joel 2 months to the day after Zowie passed away. It was an incredibly difficult decision because it seemed very fast and we wondered how we would react and how Ella would react too but it was honestly the best decision we could have made. They got on great from day one and Ella slowly returned to her happy, but still lazy, self!:) We have since got a third dog, Rosie so we've a full house!!:)

I know not all dogs and owners will have such a good experience of introducing a new dog but thought I would share our story just to give a positive experience.

I hope whatever decision you make will work out for the best :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have had the same issue with dogs and cats, in every case it has been a good descision to get another pet.
    Maybe you could try a rescue for a foster dog that might fit in well, most would have dogs in foster homes, so know the personality and if it works out you can adopt, if not try another. (Rarely hear of it not working out from good rescues, they generally are good at finding a good fit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

give your dog a chance first to get used to the feeling of being without her friend. Its only been a week - it must be very strange for her to be without her friend that shes always had around. My young terrier cross, is an only dog for the first time in his life (went from 3 dogs to 1 in a few months) - at first he was totally lost and disorientated and clingy (really!) - but he is slowly coming round and is getting used to being without his wing-man Pepper. I dont want to get another dog just to keep him company because he is a difficult dog with other dogs, but you will know whether your girl would prefer the company rather than being an 'only'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

Thanks for all the replies. I actually think she has pepped up a bit today. I won't rush into anything. There's a neighbour who has similar size dog and works long hours and I was thinking of offering to take her dog for walks etc. That way my lady will have dog company sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Same thing happened with my dog when her old pal Rascal died.
    It took a good few months for here to get over the loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

When one of our dogs died, our greyhound was seriously depressed. Mind you, we had known it was going to happen, had another dog waiting in the wings, but we felt we were not ready but could not put up with her moping, we got new dog ten days later just for her. That was 5 years ago, she has never looked back,

Only you can tell,

It's sad, and I am sorry for your loss,

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

Hi OP, I know what you r going through........my 4.5 yr old lab died in her sleep 9 wks ago which left us and our 2.5 yr old lab heartbroken. My remaining dog totally changed from a fun loving energetic dog to a very sad & quiet dog. The spring in her step just went which was very hard to see. Everyone advised me to get another dog asap but I thought she needed some time to come to terms with it ........during this time I brought her to my parents while I was at work or got a dog sitter in. It was ok for a couple of weeks but I felt then that there was no set routine which wasn't good either for her so looked at getting another pup for company which we did 3 weeks ago. It was the best decision for my lab & after a slow start they r getting on very well now & the 360 twirls r back! Every situation is different so only you can judge what's best. That said taking your neighbours dog for a walk should def help in the short term...............I would be delighted if I was neighbour:0)

Advertisement