Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married but going back to full time education. What grants etc available

Options
  • 16-08-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm thinking of going back to college next year as I'm being laid off in the coming months. I'm just wondering what my wife and I are 'entitled' to in regards social welfare payments or grants. This information would allow me to work out if it's a viable option or not. I've been into the people in the citizens information and they had no clue. I also rang the mature student officer in UCC and she had no information either.

I am currently studying part time for a diploma in UCC but would like to go on to the degree level to increase my chances of employment in the future.

My wife only works 12 hours a week and if I get accepted on to the course i'll be working a few hours myself to top up the pot. Would these extra hours stop me getting a grant or is there an amount I can work?

What are the current levels of support for people in my situation?

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

good decision to upskill for the future you can check out the back to education allowance that is the best option at the moment for those returning to study ...and best of luck in your studies

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jalalabad

Worked in Pharmaceutical industry for 13 years and now want to upskill and become a Process/Plant Engineer. All these jobs require a degree and experience.
    Most pharmaceutical companies are only taking on temporary contracts now and even operator jobs are looking for diploma as a minimum now so have to do something or face losing my job every 4 years with the new temporary job laws.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

good decision to upskill for the future you can check out the back to education allowance that is the best option at the moment for those returning to study ...and best of luck in your studies

You've to be unemployed for nine months to qualify for this though?

Op you might want to contact SUSI about being entitled to a grant, I've no idea how they work for mature students

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Stheno wrote: »
    You've to be unemployed for nine months to qualify for this though?

Op you might want to contact SUSI about being entitled to a grant, I've no idea how they work for mature students

You may be entitled to a grant from SUSI, depending on your income. They ask or a lot of documentation as proof of residence, independent status (regardless of age), income, etc. There are different evels of grant aid available, depending on: your proximity to the college; your income. You don't have to be unemployed to qualify for this grant, it's based on means. Site is SUSI dot ie. Sorry, I'm a newbie so I can't post links yet so this will have to do. :-/

The Back to Education Allowance is, as Stheno said, only available after 9 months signing on. Basically what happens is once you go to BTEA you get moved from the live register. The amount you receive from DSP remains the same. Afaik, there's no lump sum payment for books & supplies anymore. Check welfare dot ie for more info.

Best of luck. I hope it works out for you. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Back to Education Allowance can be claimed immediately without the need for 9 month's signing on if you get statutory redundancy.
    If you take voluntary redundancy or don't receive a redundancy payment (just your P45) you need the 9 months jobseekers.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

^^it's under satisfying the qualifying period.

• Advertisement

Bosley1421 wrote: »
    Back to Education Allowance can be claimed immediately without the need for 9 month's signing on if you get statutory redundancy.
    If you take voluntary redundancy or don't receive a redundancy payment (just your P45) you need the 9 months jobseekers.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

^^it's under satisfying the qualifying period.

Can my wife claim anything for herself and the kids or is the BTEA all there is? Thanks for that link Bosley it's great I won't have to wait the full 9 months.

I'm looking to go back to college full time when i'm laid off in a few months time. Looking to start in sept 2015. My wife hasnt worked for years and has stayed at home for the past 8 years raising the kids. I have searched the citizens information and revenue pages on line but can't find any information on what grants or payments are available to us.
    I know that if i'm laid off the 9 month wait on the btea payment is waived but as my wife is not working what else is available to aid the funds?
    Has anyone ever gone back to college with a wife and kids at home?
    How did you find the financial side of things ie. mortgage and bill payments?
    If I can't afford to go back it'll mean struggling along in another dead end temporary job

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

You can apply to Susi to get the registration fees covered but no maintenance grant if you get BTEA. There are various assistance funds in each college and they can help cover home expenses but these are for hardship cases and so can be difficult to get. You can only apply for these funds when you are registered in a college so you need to commit first.

If your wife isn't getting a social welfare payment, then you may be able to claim an increase for her and each child as qualified dependents as if you were claiming Jobseeker's Benefit. This can be as much as €124.80 for an adult per week and €29.80 for each child. You would then get the same amount on BTEA all the way through college. It's all means tested though and your wife might be better off doing the 12 hours of work. If you do get BTEA, then you can work as well provided it doesn't affect your studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Jalalabad wrote: »
    Worked in Pharmaceutical industry for 13 years and now want to upskill and become a Process/Plant Engineer. All these jobs require a degree and experience.
    Most pharmaceutical companies are only taking on temporary contracts now and even operator jobs are looking for diploma as a minimum now so have to do something or face losing my job every 4 years with the new temporary job laws.

Would you consider doing an online/distance learning course? The online courses in particular are very flexible for people with families. You could check out springboard courses which are subsided by government. No grant as such but all fees are paid if you're unemployed.

CIT are advertising springboard courses which might suit as you're in Cork.

Contacted the course director and even though it says in the diploma course material that graduates from the diploma go directly into the 2nd year of the degree he doesnt think thats possible so i'd have to do the full 4 years. This has changed my financial status so not sure if i can afford it now. Was budgeting that my redundancy would cover the mortgage for the 3 years and the social sort the rest but it wont stretch to 4 years!! fecks sake. changing goal posts mid course is a balls.
    Might have to go the distance learning route now (if i can get a job when i'm laid off that is!!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement