Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandao ban length?

• 16-08-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Im sure most have seen it but anyway (not EPL so can post the vine)

Brandao of Bastia played PSG today and after an incident on the pitch, Brandao waited in the tunnel after the game. Headbutts Thiago and runs away like a little girl.

Thiagos nose apparently broken and PSG want him banned for life.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28784282
    Paris St-Germain want Bastia striker Brandao banned for life after he appeared to headbutt Thiago Motta in the tunnel after Saturday's 2-0 win.

using Suarez as an example of heat of the moment mentalness, Brandao waited in the tunnel so a bit of thought went into it. I would bann him for a year mainly because he ran away.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭TheNumpty

I'd imagine a ban of 8-10 games. It was a ridiculous act of cowardice. Maybe his club could take action and even sack him while the transfer window is still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A few games, five maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It's assault and he should have been arrested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He waited for him, premeditated ....assault....arrest him .....fine him .....ban him for the rest of the season, unpaid if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Just noticed he is 34 so a "life" ban could apply, French FA are as inconsistent as any other for bans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Jaysus thought it was Brendao Rodgers you were on about for a sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

If Suarez got banned for 4 months then I'd imagine this should be around 6? Scumbag thing to do and can't blame the heat of the moment, as other posters have said if it was on the street he would be put in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The premeditation makes it a lot worse. I suppose a season ban would be about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

There is premeditation to confront Motta but it cant be proved at this point in time that he had premeditation to headbutt.

He was completely in the wrong, it was cowardly but a life ban from the sport is disproportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A few games, five maybe?

5 games ffs,this is way worse than Suarez. Also he should be banned for being so cowardly

• Advertisement

Duncan Ferguson received a jail sentence for a headbutt in Scotland years ago. Can't remember the ban. 15 games or you iirc.

Headbutts are vicious if they connect properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

5 games ffs,this is way worse than Suarez. Also he should be banned for being so cowardly

You seem to be implying football's governing bodies are in any way consistent in their punishments. It should be longer than Suarez' ban but I won't hold my breath. The incident occurring off the pitch may change things however.

Suarez should have got ~5 games too imo. I'm afraid I have no capacity for moral outrage here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This has nothing to do with Suarez and shouldn't be treated as such.

Due to the pre-meditated nature of the assault I think it should be criminal proceedings he faces first.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's assault, should be out of the French FA's jurisdiction and dealt with by the police imo.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's assault, should be out of the French FA's jurisdiction and dealt with by the police imo.

Probably needs to be dealt with by both.

• Mickeroo wrote: »

Exactly, its got to be on the same level as someone getting assaulted in the stand or outside the stadium. Vicious that he waited for tiago in the tunnel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I see Lloyd is still playing the "it's a man's game" card, so embarrassing.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Definitely, but usually the police investigation has to be first, at least I thought so.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

rarnes1 wrote: »

True that, though I would see any punishment on their part as fairly secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I see Lloyd is still playing the "it's a man's game" card, so embarrassing.

Not as embarrassing as headbutting somebody and then running away.

Not as embarrassing as headbutting somebody and then running away.

Right. Unmanly behaviour from him to say the least, but the culture of modern football produces footballers capable of same. Punitive bans won't make much difference imo.

Right. Unmanly behaviour from him to say the least, but the culture of modern football produces footballers capable of same. Punitive bans won't make much difference imo.

What exactly is manly behaviour?

Like in my opinion the people who consider the running away to be the worst part of what Brandao did, to me have issues.

Would it somehow have been better if he had stayed to continue assaulting Thiago 'like a man'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

6 month ban. Anything less would be a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Fellaini head butted shaw cross full force in the face last year. He got 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Fellaini head butted shaw cross full force in the face last year. He got 3 games.

One is on pitch and seen by the ref, one is off the pitch and not. There is a difference.

He waited for him in the tunnel. They aren't the same thing.

Who cares if a ref has seen it?

And on a pitch or beside a pitch is always not that much of a difference. Being 10 yards left or right makes little difference when you're getting head butted in the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If he headbutted him on the pitch I'd look at it more lenient and you put it down as heat of the moment but this was premeditated assault off the pitch.

A matter for the french police it should be if Thiago wants to press charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who cares if a ref has seen it?

And on a pitch or beside a pitch is always not that much of a difference. Being 10 yards left or right makes little difference when you're getting head butted in the face
    If it happens on the pitch during a game its almost certainly not premeditated but when it happens that you wait for somebody and do that then its totally different. It means the guy had time to think and decided on his actions and its a criminal act.

Should be dealt with by the French police and then when those proceedings are finished it should be dealt with by the French FA. They can suspend him from playing football while waiting for his charges to be dealt with.

So Roy Keane pre deciding to kick haaland should have ended with Keane in jail too?

Decided to do it. Admitted that. Assaulted him.

People going completely over the top

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

So Roy Keane pre deciding to kick haaland should have ended with Keane in jail too?

Decided to do it. Admitted that. Assaulted him.

People going completely over the top

Im no fan of Keanes but this incident is totally different circumstances, it was off the field of play and it was a planned attack. Its assault and he should definitely be charged by the police the dirty pig.

CSF wrote: »
    What exactly is manly behaviour?

None of what your man did anyway, that's for sure.

Keane was also a planned assault.

This "off the field of play" argument is so weak. It was like 10 feet off it. Right there in the tunnel.

What difference does it make whether they're standing on the grass or not?

It's not like he's on the street two days later. It's still heat of the moment (ish) from the game.

I'd ban him for 10 games. But I'd ban all headbutts for that time. Fellaini included

None of what your man did anyway, that's for sure.

No really. What is manly behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

The problem is the fact that we are deciding what should be done in "proportionate terms", assuming that football associations have always made the right choice - which couldnt be further from the truth.

The bans for racism vs injuries have been disgraceful. The handling of things like Suarez and Keane has been disgraceful. We are willing to let people away with things on a football pitch that we wouldnt let a teenager away with in the heat of the moment. 95% of all footballers don't get into crap like this, id rather see the 5% who have to let all this get to their heads be thrown out of the game altogether, regardless of their respective talents.

If my average pay for playing two hours football is $50,000, I think Id be able to deal with someone on a rival team being less than pleasant with me. Lord knows anyone who's worked with the general public has been pissed off more than once at minimum wage without having to headbutt, bite or dropkick someone. Examples need to be made of these idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Ajfunky wrote: »
    The problem is the fact that we are deciding what should be done in "proportionate terms", assuming that football associations have always made the right choice - which couldnt be further from the truth.

The bans for racism vs injuries have been disgraceful. The handling of things like Suarez and Keane has been disgraceful. We are willing to let people away with things on a football pitch that we wouldnt let a teenager away with in the heat of the moment. 95% of all footballers don't get into crap like this, id rather see the 5% who have to let all this get to their heads be thrown out of the game altogether, regardless of their respective talents.

If my average pay for playing two hours football is $50,000, I think Id be able to deal with someone on a rival team being less than pleasant with me. Lord knows anyone who's worked with the general public has been pissed off more than once at minimum wage without having to headbutt, bite or dropkick someone. Examples need to be made of these idiots.

I dont think a wage has anything to do with it, plenty of people have ended up assallting people in all walks of life. Many people have moments of madness that lead to viloence when maybe before they had no previous signs of this. in this case the player has lost it and waited to attack another player. its not heat of the moment as such but he clearly has not had long enough to step away from situation and calm down. Its irrelvant to what he earns, im sure there are plenty of wealthy people who have attacked someone.

Just because you earn a certain amount does not change your overall personality or how you react to certain situations. You say that these players have let it get to thier heads but i would imagine in a lot of cases its not as simple as that. Underlying factors based on upbringing, background, psychological make up play a massive part.

If i earn 50,000 a week i may still headbutt someone who said something about my wife or family in the heat of the moment. The money would not be factor in my thinking at that moment of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

dreamers75 wrote: »

Damn.

Only a month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He won't see the inside of a jail cell. The article says as much.

Advertisement