Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Industries

Options
  • 16-08-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I have been working in financial services sector for nearly 4 years as a developer and every time I have have been contacted by recruiters it is for a job in the same sector.

I know its important to have different sectors on the CV so what I was wondering is it important to try different sectors it while still at a junior level or does it not matter when you make the switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

done4now wrote: »
    "I know its important to have different sectors on the CV"

As someone who has worked in many different sectors, it doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ChRoMe wrote: »
    As someone who has worked in many different sectors, it doesn't matter.

I'd agree I don't work in dev, but another area of IT and it's more being able to do the job and demonstrate that that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I have worked in a wide range of sectors. Recruiters, recruitment agencies i'm guessing, tend to fit you to a role based on a set or criteria and buzz words. A lot of financial roles have "Experience working in the financial sector" as a requirement, so that is why you are getting those roles.

If you go looking yourself, you will have no problem getting into another sector, once you meet the required IT skill set.

Advertisement