Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone - about 100 euro price range - Xperia M, Moto E, galaxy mini?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 11:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Yeah, so I don't know much about phones, but buying a new one shortly.
    Everyone now a days has these phones where you can download apps and do all these crazy things.

Well, I've had a button phone all my life, so this is me stepping into a new era.

Not going crazy, just a prepaid phone that's not crazy expensive.

I believe they are my choices.

- Sony Xperia M
    - Motorolla Moto E
    - Samsung Galaxy Mini

And there's some other brand at the moment called "Hueia" or something.
    One of their phones is meant to be okay but I've never heard of that brand so, maybe not.

Any advice on buying a pre-paid phone in this price range, much appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

And, if one of them has a built in fm receiver, all the better.

I understand you can get radio apps?
    But you basically gotta stream the radio and thus, pay for that, is a built in receiver would definitely be better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Xperia m is €79.99 in Carphone Warehouse locked to vodafone, you don't need to port a number, offer ends tomorrow, bought one myself, not too bad neither.

A lot of poor reports on the Galaxy mini phones.
    Guess I'll rule them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

3g version of the Moto G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

How much is the moto G generally?

Recommend any networks in particular?

Other thing to consider is I might be moving to US in 6 months or so.
    If I get it unlocked, can I just continue to us it over there?

Not a big consideration but, worth asking...

Oh yeah,
    anyone know what's happening with the fm receiver on the moto G also??
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

How much is the moto G generally?

Recommend any networks in particular?

Other thing to consider is I might be moving to US in 6 months or so.
    If I get it unlocked, can I just continue to us it over there?

Not a big consideration but, worth asking...

Yeah the moto g ticks both does boxes, it has fm radio and from what I can see from a quick google it should work just fine in the us.

Cheapest place I can find for the 3g moto g is amazon @ £100 (€124.59). Then when you get it you'll need to unlock it but that can be done on ebay for less than €2

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Yeah the moto g ticks both does boxes, it has fm radio and from what I can see from a quick google it should work just fine in the us.

Cheapest place I can find for the 3g moto g is amazon @ £100 (€124.59). Then when you get it you'll need to unlock it but that can be done on ebay for less than €2

It's possible to unlock a phone on e bay???

Do you mind me asking, have you bought phones off amazon previously?
    Is it a popular/reliable way to get a phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Definitely spend a little extra to get the Moto G rather than the Moto E. Have read reviews that the Moto E can be just a bit laggy. That kind of lag while tolerable today might be worse when Android L comes out.

• Advertisement

Okay, just a little more research into this.

Is there a significant difference between the 8GB Moto G and the 16GB Moto G?
    A recommendation for one or the other?

Can anyone advise me on a good place to purchase this and what network I should go with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Only difference is storage space for music/photos/apps.If you store a lot of them then the 16GB would be the better choice.I've the 8GB myself and it does me grand because I stream music on Spotify app so its not stored on the phone itself,and I don't use a crazy amount of apps,just the likes of Netflix,online banking,bus info and a few newspaper apps.

I'm on 48 and pay 10 quid a month for 300 mobile mins to any mobile network,all texts to any mobile network,1 GB internet +60 landline minutes.They also do a 20 quid a month deal if you're a heavy user.Link here

Amazon or Tesco UK would probably be cheapest to get it from.Heres thread over on Bargain Alerts about it.

I got the moto G just yesterday.

Seems great so far!

Any advice on good/necessary apps to download?

Looking for a good ad blocker, something where I can watch tv shows on, good virus protection, anything else anyone would recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I got the moto G just yesterday.

Seems great so far!

Any advice on good/necessary apps to download?

Looking for a good ad blocker, something where I can watch tv shows on, good virus protection, anything else anyone would recommend?

Check out the must have apps and games thread, lots of suggestions there
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658304

You do not need virus protection, there are no viruses, any that advertise as such are just snake oil, just stick to installing apps from the Play store.
    Set yourself up with a remote wipe software like this in case you lose the phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm

Advertisement