Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exposing a web service to the internet

Options
  • 17-08-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

first of all Sub wWw for FUKU ( new users aren't allowed to post pretend web pages )

I have a static external ip address A** and a webserver on a local machine with a ip address of B**, I'm port forwarding from my router to the local webserver.
    When I goto
    FUKU dot A** slash webpage .. I get my web page .. no problem
    but if
    I goto FUKU dot A** slash Webservice .. I get a binding Error from IIs
    (
    No protocol binding matches the given address .. FUKU dot A** slash Webservice
    but surly the address it receives should be FUKU dot B** slash Webservice
    )

With current settings all works ok internally and if I pay for a hosting site all works Ok

I'm thinking crap router which is an Air router but I'm proberly missing some thing

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Your description of the problem is not easy to understand at all, for what sounds like a simple problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 i_Vader

The problem is I can see my web page but not my web service - well I can see the service but IIs is giving a binding error when I do try access it
    so to be clear
    I have a static ip address assigned to my gateway/router
    the router is port forwarding to a local server in my intra net
    from out side I can see my web page but my service is giving me a binding error
    the error is saying that no protocol bindings have being assigned to the external address

All current settings work internally on the local network and I had it running too on a hosted site

I was hoping that some one had this kind of error before because I'm kinda stumpt - if I'm port forwarding why would IIs be getting a request for the external ip address

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

i_Vader wrote: »
    if I'm port forwarding why would IIs be getting a request for the external ip address

It's not really a development question, you might have more luck elsewhere. I remember a networking guy in my team talking about how our load balancers have a SNAT option when forwarding traffic. This changes the origin IP address from the original, external one to the internal IP of the nic. Maybe your router has something similar?

Edit: thinking about it, this isn't your issue at all, sorry. Have you tried wireshark to see what headers the router is passing your web server?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

What version of IIS are you using? Can you post the binding error? Can you just clarify they type of service you have, WCF etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Well FUKU, you A** as well.

Only joking, but you did describe this problem in a very convoluted way. I'm guessing you were trying to get around URL filters for new members.

So effectively, to summarise your problem, http://www.example.com/standardpage works, but http://www.example.com/Webservice doesn't?

• Advertisement
Advertisement