Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Express business card

Options
  • 17-08-2014 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here use an Amex small business card?
    Have a supplier that I pay monthly by card, and would prefer to get some return with points if possible. Information is scarce on rewards points for Ireland, so looking for any opinions on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Does anyone here use an Amex small business card?
    Have a supplier that I pay monthly by card, and would prefer to get some return with points if possible. Information is scarce on rewards points for Ireland, so looking for any opinions on it.

You might get more/better/ore details in the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum.

Bank of Ireland used to issue AmEx cards, but I think they gave up the franchise. Not sure if anyone took over, perhaps AmEx manage the market directly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Bank of Ireland used to issue AmEx cards, but I think they gave up the franchise. Not sure if anyone took over, perhaps AmEx manage the market directly now.

They do seem to issue directly, but most of the info I want needs a login, and the only way of getting a login is to get a card! Catch 22. Will call them tomorrow, was just wondering if anyone here had experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Will your supplier accept Amex? Many retailers have dropped them as they charge higher commission rates (not 100% about charges today, but they used to and I regularly see Diners/Amex not accepted on my travels.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

They do, different card colours, different pricing and benefits see https://www.americanexpress.com/ireland/small_business_card/american_express_small_business_card.shtml

Will your supplier accept Amex? Many retailers have dropped them as they charge higher commission rates (not 100% about charges today, but they used to and I regularly see Diners/Amex not accepted on my travels.)

They do.
    They do, different card colours, different pricing and benefits see https://www.americanexpress.com/irel...ess_card.shtml

Saw that alright, but when you click into it they give no details of what's available for Ireland.

• Advertisement

pedronomix wrote: »
    They do, different card colours, different pricing and benefits see https://www.americanexpress.com/ireland/small_business_card/american_express_small_business_card.shtml

I know that bit. I've had both platinum and gold ones back in the day, mainly for the travel perks/insurance. The issue I raised is the charge the payee has to take - it used be about 3.5 % which is why some retailers/restaus did not take them. Acceptability is an issue - at one time 'Carte Bleu' (now Visa) was the only widely acceptable card in France and Mastercard held the same position in the US.

Cross post - tnx for info

I know that bit. I've had both platinum and gold ones back in the day, mainly for the travel perks/insurance. The issue I raised is the charge the payee has to take - it used be about 3.5 % which is why some retailers/restaus did not take them. Acceptability is an issue - at one time 'Carte Bleu' (now Visa) was the only widely acceptable card in France and Mastercard held the same position in the US.

Cross post - tnx for info

They said last week they'd take it, so should be fine. It's about 4-5k a month spend, so would be handy to build up points. Already have a business VISA for the company, but find that being maxed out every month due to the payments above. Will give them a call tomorrow for a grilling.
    How did you find the travel perks, did you transfer the points to BA etc?

You should upgrade your limit on Visa anyway. On my Amex ones, they were in the company's name but I also had joint and several liability. The travel perks were primarily the medical emergency insurance ones and better services at airports. Although we had an insurance policy for 'global medical' I knew from a friend's experience that Amex was the best way as there was no wait for insurance claim settlement and the 'locals' were happier to get paid quickly. Thankfully I never had to use that aspect. Back then AFAIK there was no transfer to BA points, (or I was not aware of it) but as the 'international' guy for the company I had a hefty amount on both BA & and Air France - which, unlike Aer Lingus points, do not 'die'.

They do.

Saw that alright, but when you click into it they give no details of what's available for Ireland.

The url says Ireland, the language is English and the currency is Euro, mad guess I would say the page refers to Ireland!!

The url says Ireland, the language is English and the currency is Euro, mad guess I would say the page refers to Ireland!!

Don't be a smartarse. Do you really think I didn't look at the Amex site before I posted here? What can I spend the rewards on, what is the conversion rate to other points systems, can I access the same rewards at the UK, or US. Hence asking for people that use or have used one.

• Advertisement

I have cashed in Amex rewards extensively in the US using both personal and corporate Irish Amex cards over the years.

The link provided also specifically mentions their REWARDS programme for certain card types.

I have cashed in Amex rewards extensively in the US using both personal and corporate Irish Amex cards over the years.

thanks for answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

, can I access the same rewards at the UK, or US. Hence asking for people that use or have used one.

There are some differences between the card "perks" depending on the market, but the Irish cards *usually* get the same stuff as their UK counterparts.

For the points options it's fairly similar. I usually transfer Amex points to either airline or hotel points / miles

Advertisement