Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy building

Options
  • 17-08-2014 10:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, first time renter here, I recently signed a lease on a flat, the whole process was a bit of a rush as i was desperate tom move (I've been looking since january without any success), so in my haste I was more concerned with just getting the place than scrutinizing the flat and the building. Now that I have time I've noticed that the flat is absolutely filthy, the window, walls kitchen all filthy. I decided to clean the place top to bottom before i moved my stuff in, and found what appeared to be dried blood in several places! I took pictures of all this before I started cleaning along with pictures of everything else, and there's still some of the dried blood on the curtains as I havent got round to dry cleaning them (I just took them down and put them in a bin bag). Even though I'm cleaning the flat, the rest of the house is filthy, it is so dusty it doesnt seem like anyone has cleaned the main hall, stairs or landing in a long long time, so who would be responsible for cleaning there? (I'll probably end up cleaning the whole place myself in my off time if it doesnt get sorted). Another issue is that the landlady is very old, and I'm wondering now if it's going to be a struggle to deal with her as everything up till now has been through a letting agent, now that the lease is signed and the keys are in my hand does the letting agent walk away or do they still have any responsibilities? Finally I want to add a bolt/latch to my door, do I need the landladys permission for that?

I know the first response is going to be "you should have checked out the place more thoroughly first", but I've been to over 50 viewing since january, so when i finally got a yes I just jumped at the chance, I know it was stupid but hindsight is 20/20 i guess.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who do you pay your rent to? That is who you should talk to re any maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Trade off
    Do you want to view another 50 places or just make the best of it?

Lock - yes you would have to get permission to change them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

Zamboni wrote: »

Lock - yes you would have to get permission to change them.

Just to be clear I dont want to change the lock, just add a latch/bolt to the door, do I still need permission for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

_oveless_ wrote: »
    Just to be clear I dont want to change the lock, just add a latch/bolt to the door, do I still need permission for that?

Yes, any modification to the property requires the owners permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Arguably, there's nothing you can do as you accepted the filth when you moved in. Though saying that, I would be taking plenty of pictures and sending copies to the agent and/or landlady in case they try and withhold the deposit when you leave for cleaning etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement