Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardio / Fat burning routines

Options
  • 17-08-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to bulk up but whilst concentratign on increasing mass and strength I've noticed that my cardio stamina has gone through the floor.

What cardio work do people here do in order to keep fit and excess fat off?

Presently, I'm doing a kettlebell style circuit, but would like to spice it up a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I try to keep lifting and cardio seperate tbh. Lifting should be all about form, and when you get to the right weights your heart will be pumping hard anyway to make the last rep.

Try get out and do some cardio stuff in the evenings or weekends. Some guys are made for it, but I do about 3 intense cardio sessions with my rugby club a week, including a match. That's enough for me, plus I bought a bike and use it to commute every day.

But that's me, some people will want more, and want to do cardio every day on top of whatever else they're doing.

One thing I do also is involve body weight excercises into my supersets. So, rather than lifting a lower weight with a lot of reps to peak cardio I just keep to my same form with a heavy weight, but then superset it with an alternative muscle group. So for example I could do 8x heavy cable crunches, and then immediately do 15 burpees. Rest, repeat. After 3 or 4 sets of that you'll be burning alive. Get a few different routines similiar to that and you can involve cardiovascular stuff quite easily into your current routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Hi,

Without wanting to come across in a bad way, your post suggests you're not fully clear on the single most important element of any "bulking" or fat loss plan.....energy balance.

In order to build muscle, you must be in a calorie surplus. In order to lose bodyfat, you must be in a calorie deficit. It's clearly not possible to be in both so you need to focus on one or the other.

You should definitely watch part 1 and 2 of this series (btw, you can trust Eric Helms 100%, one of the most reputable evidence based coaches out there)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

If you don't mind me asking, what are the goals behind your training? Sport related, want to be fitter or like most of us, just want to look good with your top off!!:D:D

Advertisement