Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracked sump!

• 17-08-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

As the title suggests I cracked the sump is there anything I can put on it temporary until the new one arrives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cikearney wrote: »
    As the title suggests I cracked the sump is there anything I can put on it temporary until the new one arrives

You can try liquid metal or a TIG/MIG weld. But sumps are rarely repairable due to their design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Use proper cleaners and heatproof silicone.

Long as it's not a wide crack it'll hold fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Checkout my advise and results on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88370080

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you clean it with acetone until there is no oil residue left and then use JB weld to fill the crack it should hold until you can get a replacement.
    If there is a hole or other wide gap then a patch cut from fine metal mesh will allow the gap to be bridged.
    JB weld is probably one of the better epoxy metals to use in my experience.
    No need for the marine weld version.
    The critical point is to clean the area around the crack, not just once but several times until there is no oil at all in the area.
    If the epoxy starts to flow away from the area then a heat lamp will speed curing and a piece of wide masking tape will hold it up for a while.

Advertisement