Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread*** [R1 points linked in first post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CitrusCircus

absolutely delighted now!!! thanks so much dan :D any one going to UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AlTahir

D'you get your points? :) I remember you asking me about college stuff a few days ago :p

On Comp Sci courses

DIT rose from 405 to 425, I have DARE in DIT and they don't look for points so I think I'll get this one. But if I don't..

DCU Comp. Application dropped from 405 to 400, good sign, can make this as well
    NUIM dropped dramatically I'm shocked from 405 to 360 on the Science Entry and
    385 to 350 on the Arts Entry.

TCD and UCD are my 1st and 2nd preferences, which I know I didn't get, but seeing these results, I have can compete for either of those other colleges; so I'm delighted :)

Thanks Dan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Phelanhappy

PsYcOsIs wrote: »
    Ok, mine doesn't have the star so everyone with 525 got in.. meaning there are less ppl above me in the pecking order.. so its better for it not to be random selection right?

It just means that if u r in the minimum points required for the course, u aren't guaranteed to get in. So if u r the minimum, yes, it's better off not getting the random selection

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

Ok, mine doesn't have the star so everyone with 525 got in.. meaning there are less ppl above me in the pecking order.. so its better for it not to be random selection right?

Yes, depending on your preference and the decline rate you could get offered a place in round two :) It means that if the course is declined there will be nobody at the higher points left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PsYcOsIs

Grand thats made me a bit happier thanks :) Its gon' be a looooong week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It doesn't mean anything about pecking order.

If there were 10 places on the course and the top points of a person who applied were 530 and the next 9 people on the list were on 525 then all of the 9 would get in, no random selection.

If the first person on the list got 530 and there were 9 remaining places but 10 people on 525 then it would have gone to random selection.

Random selection is not an indicator of how many people are above you, only that the number of people on that points score is more than the number of places left on the course when everyone on the next score up has been assigned a place.

It would be random selection if there were 100 places on a course and 99 were filled and there was one place left and two people on the same score for the last place.

But yes definitely better not to get stuck on random selection. It's worse missing the course when you had the points but weren't pulled out in the draw than missing it by 5 points.

Can anybody tell me what architecture in DIT is (DT101) and structural engineering in UCD are?? Thanks :)

i think it says #590

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

Christ -> Bess 495* and I got 495
    This shall be a fun hour and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ocdm95

Can anybody tell me what architecture in DIT is (DT101) and structural engineering in UCD are?? Thanks :)

590 and 455 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Anyone else heading to Biomedical Health and Life Science in UCD? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Hey guys, I missed my course by 5 points. There's no star beside it so would it be possible for it to drop 5 points in second round offers?
    Also what if I get my scripts rechecked and I manage to get the 5 points, college has already started and there might not be any room left

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AlTahir

mallen wrote: »
    Please explain???

It's the link to the points that DAN placed up earlier, it was getting buried in this hectic crowd so I thought I'd share it to people to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Joey!! wrote: »

Good luck man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Lord. Been following this thread, reminding myself of what it was like to be in this position. Wouldn't go back to all this again if you paid me! Very well done to all of you though! College is probably the best years you're gonna have and all this stress and worry will kinda fade into insignificance once you've settled into your course and college life. The leaving cert is probably the most difficult exam you'll ever do just in terms of the amount of subjects and the pressure of the whole thing. From here on out, things just get better! Onwards and upwards! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

aleatorio wrote: »

No you're a loner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

Joey!! wrote: »

I just missed out and scraped into Business and German with 490!:D

Hey guys, I missed my course by 5 points. There's no star beside it so would it be possible for it to drop 5 points in second round offers?
    Also what if I get my scripts rechecked and I manage to get the 5 points, college has already started and there might not be any room left

Something similar happened with me. I'm wondering what happens if i accept my 3rd choice and am in DCU for a month then i get offered UCD after rechecks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

if there is no star does that mean everyone who applied and got the points is in

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

You could potentially got offered but it depends on it people declined and how many other people have the same points as you and are hoping for the same course in round two. I'm pretty sure that if you get it rechecked and it goes up you can appeal to the college if theres a place on the course but I'm not totally sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    No you're a loner ;)

It seems like it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

It seems like it! :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

Ahhh I'm so happy :D Thank you SO much again, Dan, really appreciate you going to effort of doing what you did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Phelanhappy

Ocdm95 wrote: »
    590 and 455 i think

Thanks a mill! Really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Phte

You and about 40 others.

Jeez and you said you got 625 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

if there is no star does that mean everyone who applied and got the points is in

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

No, the opposite. People who scored the points will not all be offered, meaning some will get it others won't. There is a chance!

Might've misread it. If you got 500 points and your 1st choice course is 500*, the above applies. If you gotten more points than that, you've gotten it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

Yep
    you have made my year :D:D

Thanks a mill! Really appreciate it

No problem :)

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    No, the opposite. People who scored the points will not all be offered, meaning some will get it others won't. There is a chance!
    is that not if there IS a star?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Joey!!

I just missed out and scraped into Business and German with 490!:D

Fair play man :) I'm slowly dying here :p

Advertisement